Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Merging to Satellite (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Merging to Satellite
Christopher Perkins
Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2016 03:38 PM      Profile for Christopher Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I have recently found out about satellite content. We are looking to merge. How ever I am not having any luck finding LMS/TMS. Could anyone give me any suggestions on who we should go through? We have Christie Digital projectors.

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-25-2016 07:16 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see any straight relation between satellite content and TMS/LMS. Satellite feed for you should be DCDC:

http://www.dcdcdistribution.com/

TMS/LMS there are plenty. Projectors are more or less irrelevant for TMS/LMS choice. What servers do you operate?

- Carsten

Tim Sherman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2016 09:40 AM      Profile for Tim Sherman   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Sherman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you technically don't need a LMS/TMS to use satellite. If you don't have one you can simply FTP from each screen server directly to the satellite server and ingest through a media network. Currently how I am doing it. Don't really need a LMS for theatres with only a couple screens.

Christopher Perkins
Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2016 09:42 PM      Profile for Christopher Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well and that is what DCDC told me. But Christie NOC insist that there is no possible way for use to do that. Our systems are set up with a IMB with each projector. They are stand alone systems. Do you have any suggestions on how we could make this possible? When we make a movie change every week we have to take the physical hard drive and ingest them into the projector individual. So I am not entirely sure on how we can set this up.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2016 11:01 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you currently able to transfer content between servers? If so then you just add the satellite server to the content network and transfer it just like you do between servers.

Leslie Hartmier
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2016 01:18 AM      Profile for Leslie Hartmier   Email Leslie Hartmier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are on the Christie NOC, it is more than just possible - each of our locations that are on the Christie NOC has an entire set of IP addresses (and ports on the management and media switches) reserved for satellite delivery.

Where you see the words 'LMS' in my message, simply think of it as being in the main network rack (where the management switch, media switch, patch panel and proxy server are), not at each house switch (which doesn't know anything about satellite, nor does it need to). It does not mean that you HAVE to have an LMS or a TMS.

As an example:

on our switches, the IRD ports on the media and management switches are both ports 13 (IRD 2) and 15 (IRD 1), CineLive ports for both management and media switches are port 11 (eth1 is management, and eth0 is media), and VSAT (Management switch only) is on port 19 - so, if you are on the Christie NOC with the hardware they supply, the hardware is set up for satellite delivery. I confess that there is no information on where the CineCaster Satellite Server ports are on the management switch, but the NOC location documentation includes the IP addresses for both eth0 and BMC (10.16.x.24 and 10.16.x.25, respectively), so they must have some idea for that.

As for the IP addresses for each satellite device, again, the NOC documentation that the people who installed your systems would have received will list all of the satellite-specific IP addresses for LMS management network, LMS media network, and for setting up the satellite network on the hardware from DCDC.

Like others have said, you do not need to have an LMS or a TMS to use satellite delivery (although if you wanted one, CineDigital Manager is the one we use, and there's a free version if you have only one or two auditoriums - you have to renew the license annually, but it remains free.)

I am uncertain why the NOC would tell you that it was impossible, since if the NOC can see you, you have the right hardware to have satellite delivery.

Although, what do you mean 'stand alone?' If there is NO network other than the one connecting the projector, content server/IMS, the sound system (if you are using that - for example, a Digital to Analog converter, or an ethernet-capable audio processor), and anything else that is ONLY for one specific auditorium, then how can the NOC see your stuff? If there is no other network than the house networks, one would need to be set up.

Other than all the gobbledy-gook I just uttered, if the hardware is NOT provided by Christie NOC, as Stephan stated, it should be a pretty simple matter of adding it to your content/media network, and then, as Tim put it, you can just set up FTP to the satellite server and ingest from there.

If your hardware IS from Christie NOC, then they MAY have to open the ports on the LMS switches (they should be open, mind you), at which point, again, you should be able to FTP to the satellite content repository.

Sure, if the satellite system did not permit access to and from the content servers, and only pushed content to an LMS or TMS, that would complicate matters, but I should think that DCDC would have more of an idea as to what is and is not possible with their stuff.

Sorry if I just did more to confuse the issue, but it makes sense in my head. Ask questions, and I'm sure there are plenty of us on this forum who can help clarify.

Leslie

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-26-2016 07:02 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the key here is if they have a media network at all. The only reason to manually move drives between theatres is if they don't.

IF you have a media network (and you can move content between theatres on that network), then you can also add DCDC to that network and merely point your servers to its IP and using the provided user/password, you'll see a directory on the DCDC server with all of the content they want you to see (subscribed for).

Honestly, I'd set up a media network (even for only 2 screens) if for no other reason than to transfer content between the theatres. It is almost always faster to FTP content than ingest it.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-26-2016 11:56 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
I think the key here is if they have a media network at all. The only reason to manually move drives between theatres is if they don't.
Over 10,000 posts and finally an incorrect statement? Am I dreaming??? [Razz]

A media network is not required to transfer content (screen to screen or satellite/DCDC). Managed switches may make that more difficult if they are not configured for it, but it can still be done.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-26-2016 05:18 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Without a media network, some servers only give you a 100-baseT NIC so your media transfers are going to be VERY slow. Furthermore, you run the risk of communication problems between the server and the projector (seen it, even on a Dolby DSS server) if that one and only NIC is busy moving the movies around while trying to also talk with the projector.

I stand behind my statement of having two networks if you plan to move media on one of them. Heck with the original Dolby scheme, you have screen count + 1 networks!

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-26-2016 09:46 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well it seems Christopher does not have ANY network connection/media between his servers/IMBs. That would be the first thing to cater for. I can only assume they use all Christie IMB-S2.

- Carsten

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2016 07:58 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is possible to set up a media network with a Christie S2 IMB. Have done it to transfer content with Doremi Showvaults.

Christopher Perkins
Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2017 09:43 PM      Profile for Christopher Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for the delay of responding. What I mean when I say "stand alone" These projectors are not connected to a central server. These projectors have their own ip address. In order for me to ingest content into a projector, I have to go to the projector and plug the hard drive into the projector. I can not move movie content one projector to the next.

Now as far as setting up a media server. How would I do that? Can a Mac OS X host the media server? If not how would I do this with a windows. Also how would I do this with a mac if possible.

I am interested in FTP as well. I would like to have a FTP server for the projector to be able to update Keys for the movies. Any suggestions?

Christie has the network hooked up through a firewall. So i am not exactly sure if this is possible.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 04-18-2017 05:22 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You don't need much. All servers have two network ports (minimum). You need to configure the servers with the second unused port on a new network segment, often the same as the local device network with one number different (usually octet 2). Then connect all the servers to a 1000bT switch. Some more configuration to set up transfer source addresses for the other servers and the satellite storage. No LMS/TMS is required to do the transfers manually, they just automate the drudgery.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-18-2017 06:37 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christopher - you need to get a hand on a network topology scheme. Normally the company who set everything up for you should have handed out a poster or file describing all the clients/IP addresses in your system. You write: 'There is no connection between our servers', and at the same time 'Christie has the network hooked up through a firewall'. So, IS there a network, or not? I can not believe you are NOCed without a network between all your machines, it wouldn't make sense to be under a NOC without your machines being connected. You need to educate yourself or hire someone who is able to see through.

The DCDC appliance is a fileserver on it's own and would be sufficient to distribute content received by satellite to your servers.

If Christie NOC is BS'ing you, I'd suggest you contact DCDC and ask them for company/tech contacts that are able to set the DCDC receiver/server up at your location. They will see through.

- Carsten

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-19-2017 06:10 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okey, my turn on this topic being a newbie with this:

Found out that our 15plex is rapidly approaching the use of the digital cinema dist coalition and wonder how this all works.

Thus, I need a little help, a primer so to say, on this with hearing that a LMS/TMS is no longer needed.

I know that REG uses DCDC, but they use a device that collects the downloaded files and what is done afterwards is what I don't know anything about the operation.

Thx for the help - Monte

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: