Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Wrong audio tracks on HDMI input (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Wrong audio tracks on HDMI input
Joost Vandertogt
Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2016 08:12 AM      Profile for Joost Vandertogt   Email Joost Vandertogt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all, I'm pretty new in this bussiness. Originally I'm a sound engineer in a theatre (in the Netherlands) and since november last year we have a DC setup in our small stage. The setup is:
Doremi DCP-server
Doremi IMB
Barco DP2k-15C
Datasat AP20

Audio from IMB to AP20 is AES.
On the IMB, there's a HDMI input, which we would like to use for viewings outside of the usual screenings. When I last connected a MacBook, the picture was fine, but there's something odd with the audio tracks. When viewing a video with 5.1 sound, the center channel was missing. When putting just audio from iTunes, the audio came on input 3 and 4 on the AP20 (center and sub).
Now my question is: what's going wrong and where can I (if possible) correct it?
Later I'll try with a DVD/Blue-ray, but we're a little busy at the moment...

If the solution is above my head, I'll ask DCinex when they come for maintenance in November.

Thanks in advance!
Kind regards Joost

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-31-2016 02:22 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The HDMI sound processing in the IMB is mysterious, I have tried to get details from Doremi without success. Some sources give 5.1 sound and some don't. Some come out as L/R (AES pair 1) which can be decoded with ProLogic to whatever that gives (4.1?).
Apple have their own impenetrable secrets, no clue what is happening there. Try a standard DVD player with HDMI output and see what you get out of the IMB.
Generally I find it better to strip out the digital audio signal from HDMI and deal with it in an outboard processor, where non-DCP content playback is required. It just makes everything simpler especially with BluRay where there are so many audio options. If you strip out HDMI digital audio and send it to an AP20 SPDIF input you should have better results.

Sascha F. Roll
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2016 02:28 PM      Profile for Sascha F. Roll   Email Sascha F. Roll   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never had any serious issues with the HDMI audio de-embedding in the AP20. It just works. And is easy to configure.

Just connect your HDMI source to the AP20 HDMI inputs 1-4 und send the "picture" stream to your IMB and everything should work fine.

/Edit: The only thing that didn't work for me was Copying the Side Surrounds to the Back Surrounds (on a DS7.1 channel layout) when using DTS NEO6 Matrix Decoding.

Joost Vandertogt
Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2016 03:03 PM      Profile for Joost Vandertogt   Email Joost Vandertogt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the answers.

Sascha, I'm using the HDMI input on the IMB in the projector. The AP20 gets its AEB audio signal by about 35 meters of Shielded CAT6 cable, because all the amps (and AP20) are in a room with all other amps of tha hall, so using the HDMI input of the AP20 is not quite an option, because the HDMI signal has to travel the same distance back to the projector (or we have to use 2 HDMI ports on the source).

Dave, I'll soon try with an ordinary DVD-player and maybe a Windows notebook, to see if it reacts different then Mac. And offcourse I'll post my findings [Smile]

Sascha F. Roll
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2016 03:10 PM      Profile for Sascha F. Roll   Email Sascha F. Roll   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe this discussion here might be interesting for you as well?

http://www.film-tech.com/ubb/f16/t002689.html

Joost Vandertogt
Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2016 03:34 PM      Profile for Joost Vandertogt   Email Joost Vandertogt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I went through that post already, but thanks for the heads up!

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-31-2016 07:18 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joost - the Doremi IMB is very poor in decoding most popular HDMI audio formats. I suggest you feed HDMI sources to the AP20 4/1 switcher and use a HDMI extender from there. The AP20 is the only cinema processor with all the necessary audio format decoding. Besides that, the Mac has a full audio routing feature in audio setup in the utilities folder.

- Carsten

Peter Castle
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2016 10:07 PM      Profile for Peter Castle   Email Peter Castle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some time back I encountered a similar (perhaps the same) problem in making a DCP from a 6-channel quicktime movie. The six channels were in one order, while the DCP wants Windows WMA(?) order. I can't remember the workaround but I seem to recall a PC program that allowed the shuffling of the channels.

Joost Vandertogt
Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2016 07:15 AM      Profile for Joost Vandertogt   Email Joost Vandertogt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today I finally found some time to do some tests...
All without succes... Even from a DVD-player the sound wasn't routed correct from IMB to AP20. I even tried using other audio settings in Doremi (not sure if they effect the IMB or just the Doremi/DCP).
So next step is to contact the supplier, see if they know some way to get it to work correctly. If not I guess we have to spend some money to get some very good HDMI extenders...

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-11-2016 11:54 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe you have a non-standard AES-Routing and audio routing table setup in the Doremi to the AP20.

There is actually not much to do about the HDMI-AES mapping in the Doremi, it is 1:1. Doremi has a techdoc dealing with adjusting the mapping for different SDI and HDMI mappings on a per-CPL basis. I don't know if you have access to

http://support.doremitechno.org/index.php/faq/digital-cinema-player/set-up/499-imb-audio-channel-3-4-swapped-when-switching-sdi-to-hdmi

If not, pm me, and I will help you out.

You'd certainly be better of feeding the HDMI to the AP20 directly. Put some money on the HDMI extender, but you will have no HDMI/audio trouble afterwards, no matter what BluRay player you connect or what disc you play. You WILL certainly have trouble when you keep feeding the audio to the IMB HDMI input.

- Carsten

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 08-11-2016 01:59 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joost,

what Carsten said: take the HDMI to the AP20 *FIRST*, then to the IMB.

The AP20 will take care of the sound just fine.

Joost Vandertogt
Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2016 02:07 PM      Profile for Joost Vandertogt   Email Joost Vandertogt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Carsten,
Thanx for the link. Unfortunately I do not have access to that site...

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-11-2016 02:47 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check your profile for pm...

- Carsten

Joost Vandertogt
Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2016 02:53 PM      Profile for Joost Vandertogt   Email Joost Vandertogt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanx a lot, I'll try next week and let you know the result!

Joost Vandertogt
Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2016 03:01 AM      Profile for Joost Vandertogt   Email Joost Vandertogt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just tried with the CPL, even after rebooting the whole set-up a couple of times no result, so I'll contact the supplier, hope they can help with it, or just go with the HDMI-extender sollution...
Thanx fot the help though

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: