Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Can't Connect to JSD60 and it's not receiving cues via ethernet (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Can't Connect to JSD60 and it's not receiving cues via ethernet
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 05-27-2016 03:29 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This seems to be a new issue. The ethernet port on my JSD60 seems to have stopped working. I am able to manually switch inputs and adjust the volume, but cues are not working. There are no activity lights on the ethernet port, and I have tried several cables.

I also have not been able to connect by USB, but I seem to remember there was something very specific to get the USB to laptop connection working.

The only thing I can see that is odd is the bypass light is blinking, and sometimes it will say "Bypass" under the fader value.

Any thoughts?

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-27-2016 07:28 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a separate application that uses USB to set up the networking and probably some other stuff, if the USB port is good for anything else I don't know what.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2016 08:04 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Note, this is purely speculation, as I've never used a JSD-60, but I am comparing my experience with the JSD-100, which should be similar. Harold will be along shortly to provide more info, I'm sure.)

Automation, either via Ethernet or contact closure, does not work when the unit is in Bypass. You can switch formats and change the fader manually. Since you say the unit is repeatedly going into bypass, you may have a bad power supply. I do not know how field serviceable the JSD-60 is, but if it is possible to do so, I would swap the power supply with another unit.

Hope that helps at least a little.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2016 08:09 AM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I understand the issue, this was working and stopped working. You might try using Ethernet Device Discoverer to see if you can find it on the network. You can get it from http://ftp.uslinc.com/?dir=ftp/Products/EthernetDeviceDiscoverer . As pointed out, the GUI uses USB to set the IP address, though it is possible to set it from the command line through Ethernet or RS232. Ethernet Device Discoverer should find the JSD for you, though. Once found, you can point a web browser at it for basic control.

Good luck!

Harold

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 05-27-2016 10:02 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Harold:

There is a problem with the power supply:

quote: Justin Hamaker
The only thing I can see that is odd is the bypass light is blinking, and sometimes it will say "Bypass" under the fader value.
Is that an easy change out or does the unit need to be sent in for repair?

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2016 02:54 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Power supply failures in the JSD-60 are extremely rare. I'd check the rear panel fuse to make sure that's ok. Note that the power supply has a fairly high inrush current, so the fuse needs to be a time delay fuse. There's also a fuse on the power supply itself, but it has a higher rating, so the rear panel fuse is normally the one that goes. The power supply is easy to replace. Are the front panel power supply LEDs lit (marked +5, +12, and -12)? If those are lit, the problem is not the power supply. If they are out, the most likely problem is the fuse, but it could be the power supply. As mentioned above, the power supply is easy to replace. I'm always concerned about sending out replacement parts since there is no guarantee that the replacement part will indeed fix the problem. The customer ends up with further delays if that does not fix the problem. In any case, give USL a call and let us know what you'd like to do. Have a look at those LEDs and the fuse.

Good luck!

Harold
+1 805 549 0161

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 05-27-2016 03:02 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Harold, I will investigate further and followup. I will email you with what I find, but will also post it hear for reference purposes.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 06-02-2016 07:44 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The issue does not appear to be the fuse. Fuse reads 0.5 ohms.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2016 07:47 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since you say "my JSD60" in your original post and not "one of my JSD60s" does that mean this is the only one that you have? If you have others, can you try swapping the power supply?

Kerry Fleming
Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2016 09:44 AM      Profile for Kerry Fleming   Author's Homepage   Email Kerry Fleming   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had one do something like this last year.
Want to say that it was a firmware issue.
Reloaded firmware & fine ever since.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 06-03-2016 04:12 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken, your assumption is correct. It is the only one we have. This is at our single screen drive-in. We have CP-750's at our cinemas.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-03-2016 05:01 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know...there maybe something to reloading the firmware...it would seem like a good thing to try.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 06-03-2016 10:02 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would do that, but so far I haven't been able to log into it. I have tried ethernet and USB, but I need to track down a serial cable to try the RS232 connection.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-03-2016 10:28 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you change its IP address with the USL IP application (via USB)?

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2016 10:32 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried booting it back to factory defaults and firmware? Boot up holding the option and non-sync buttons in.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: