Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Download content from GDC sx2000 to computer (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Download content from GDC sx2000 to computer
Tri Le
Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2016 12:10 AM      Profile for Tri Le   Email Tri Le   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear everybody!
I am a projection staff in Lotte cinema Viet Nam. I want to download contents from GDC sx2000 to computer, but i do not know how to do it. Please help me.
Thanks all !

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-26-2016 01:26 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would you need to do that?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-26-2016 02:26 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I copy some content, mainly permanent use content, onto an external HD for safekeeping.

Examples of: company policies, locally made content, event content that we run when needed - almost anything not encrypted.

Not too hard to do.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-26-2016 03:50 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The easiest way to do it is to use an FTP program like Filezilla to get the content off the server. Or you could use the GDC TMS program to do it as well.

Mark

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-26-2016 06:26 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there an officially supported way to do it directly on a GDC (as opposed to ftp'ing into it from another machine)? I would be interested in this, too, mostly for "film" festivals that like to add or move screenings after the movie has been ingested. Lots of DCPs that make it to these festivals (especially for shorts) are not playable as-is and need to be re-made, and festivals rarely spring for enough blank CRU drives to hold a copy of every movie for the duration of the festival.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-26-2016 08:48 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Scott - I do it directly. I'll PM you how I do it.

Nguyen Jack
Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2016 02:06 AM      Profile for Nguyen Jack   Email Nguyen Jack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, can do it but the content only ingest to other GDC. I can get it form server to PC direct.

Tri Le
Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2016 04:06 AM      Profile for Tri Le   Email Tri Le   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried use Filezilla to download content from GDC SX2000 to PC , but i do not known how to setup for it .The GDC server and the PC have a same network. Can anybody guide me ?
Thanks all !

Leslie Hartmier
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2016 01:34 PM      Profile for Leslie Hartmier   Email Leslie Hartmier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Technically," to remain in compliance, a secure device (in this case, the GDC SX-2000) is not to transfer content to an insecure device (the computer).

That said, I recall doing so with the GDC software (not really sure), and I know that at least one of the TMS offerings out there will also transfer content from the GDC SX-2000AR/SX-3000/SX2000A (for the SX-2000A, you need at least 8.00 to do it).

FileZilla will also do so, as long as again, the non-AR is at least 8.00, or the server is an AR or SX-3000.

The problem is that doing so is supposed to be forbidden, and I do not want to possibly get myself or FT in trouble by giving instructions as to how.

Leslie

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-31-2016 08:06 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, encrypted content files are inherently secure and unencrypted... who cares? Otherwise movies would not be shipped around the world on open format hard disks as normal cargo. Doremi servers have a content manager app for (slowly) exporting content to external drives.
I think GDC saves the full DCP in the RAID, you can ftp clips in and out of this online storage. You will need a uname/pw to connect.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-01-2016 10:29 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is possible to FTP content on/off the GDC server. GDC has a special user/pw for this and using it with normal FTP will take you to the proper directory. The only catch is that the folders will all have just the uuid names, not the name of the content. So before you go to transfer, get the UUID from the SMS interface to avoid the long hunt.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-01-2016 12:40 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Again and for the last time you really need their TMS program set up to do this. At least you then get to see past the UUID numbers to the actual title, format and release format. The TMS software is basically free and there is just a small licensing fee every two yeas which actually covers upgrades to the app. You have to have something to translate those UUID numbers or you have no clue what it is you are FTPing over.

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-01-2016 01:59 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really Mark? The question was to just be able to offload content from the server. Nothing beyond that was in the question so to recommend a full TMS...which is NOT free (it is hundreds of dollars and then the nominal annual fees). I'm not debating its value asa TMS sense but to merely offload content? So if they are just a single screen they should also buy a TMS for this too?

If they are a multi-screen and they are all GDC...then you can create an FTP link between them and the GDC server will properly list the NAMES of the content (it looks in the folder and reads the CPL).

Any suitable FTP program can merely offload (or send) content.

Yeah, dealing with the UUID may be a bit annoying BUT if you know your date range, you can find it pretty fast.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-01-2016 09:44 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He had sent me a private message regarding this. Assuming he has a terabyte of content how's he gonna know which one(s)to grab? If he had six pieces of content then I agree with ftping it over. I don't know many theater's with just a few things on the drives.

Mark

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 06-02-2016 11:56 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The UUIDs are randomly generated, the gazillions of possibles make dupes very very unlikely. It also means usually the first couple of characters, definitely the first set of 8 for each CPL are unique on any server.
Once you look at the clip you want and record the first set of characters, finding it in a list isn't so hard. Your ftp program should let you sort the filelist by name.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: