Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » 30 FPs

Author Topic: 30 FPs
Martin Van Broekhoven
Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2016 06:24 AM      Profile for Martin Van Broekhoven   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Van Broekhoven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
did anyone tested 30FPS on a GDC SX 2000???? And did it play????

|  IP: Logged

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2016 09:25 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've used 30fps DCP content on a GDC SX-2000's in about half a
dozen locations on more than one occasion, & had no problems.

I've only run into ONE location that would not play 30fps
content. It was on a Dolby DSS200 & a Christie projector.

Thanks to Steve Guttag, I learned that there was some
incompatibility between the software versions in that DSS
and the Christie at that particular location.

But I've never run into any 30fps issues with GDC's or Doremi's.

Of course, 'when in doubt', TEST IT before you need to use it!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-25-2016 11:59 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I created a couple of 30fps clips using DCP-O-Matic a year or two ago. They worked fine on our SX2000.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 05-25-2016 12:05 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Somewhat related: Does everyone have to work around a visible "flash" or "glitch" when switching frame rates? Or is it just me? (Dolby DSS200 with Barco DP2K-32B)

Mike Schulz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2016 03:12 PM      Profile for Mike Schulz   Email Mike Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny, I have the same exact setup as you (DSS200 + DP2K32B) at one of my rooms and 30fps content will have the flash glitch at the beginning and ending of the clip so I have to put douser open cue one second into the clip and douser close 2 seconds before end of clip to avoid seeing it. It's pretty annoying but I haven't discovered a way around it as of yet.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 05-25-2016 05:12 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. That's how I have to work around it too. Sigh.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-25-2016 06:12 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you go to GDC's web site, http://www.gdc-tech.com/english/products_sx2000_arspec.php GDC has updated their specification for additional frame rates that work with the SX2000AR and SX3000

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-25-2016 06:27 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We do HDMI feeds into the SX3000 from an external source with no playback issues.

We just have a macro set for the BARCO to adjust the color spacing and sync for playback.

Isn't that playback 30fps also?

-Monte

Leslie Hartmier
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2016 01:21 PM      Profile for Leslie Hartmier   Email Leslie Hartmier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have used 30fps content on GDC AR servers, but the non-AR servers can only use 24 in 4k and 24 or 48 fps in 2k, at least according to GDC themselves, found in http://www.gdc-tech.com/english/products_sx2000aspec.php

We've not tried 30fps on the non-ARs for that reason, although as a thought experiment, it might be interesting.

Leslie

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: