Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Nec 900C v Barco DP2K-6E (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Nec 900C v Barco DP2K-6E
Jerzy Gwizdz
Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2016 12:08 PM      Profile for Jerzy Gwizdz   Author's Homepage   Email Jerzy Gwizdz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello
please opinion that the projector is better
Nec NC900C or Barco DP2K-6E

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-24-2016 05:50 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We just canceled an NC900C and bought a DP2K-6E instead, so, in MY opinion, the DP2K-6E is the better machine. The only thing I am missing on it a bit is a real dowser.

The Alchemy server is the better choice over the typical NC900 (IMS) options.
The 6E also has quite a bit more light, so, may also be the better choice for (small) 3D screens. The NEC has a slightly broader range of lenses, and better air filtering. The Barco also is less noisy. In germany, the Barco is also cheaper than the NEC.

- Carsten

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 05-25-2016 01:11 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the 6E had good air filtering? The filters are proper ones and the S10 issue should have been rectified on the 6E.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-25-2016 05:36 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, I should have been more precise, the 6E has the same lens mount related dust issues as the 8Sx/10Sx.

- Carsten

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2016 05:52 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would stay on Barco too. Only thing i do not like, but when you think it might not be big deal for small projector is lense chose on barco, max throw you can get on 6E/10sx/8sx is 3.9.....so if you say still have some old cinema, which is long but thin, which was commong thing in 40's and 50's which later went from 1:1,37 only to scope. So 6-7m widescreen on 25m throw you're short there with Barco on Flat format.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 05-26-2016 01:11 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Carsten. I thought the issue was coming from the main filter not properly seating on the gasket. Surely this could be addressed by Barco?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-26-2016 03:54 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had great luck with the 30 some odd NC-900's I have installed. There were lamp issues but the lamp and ballast were redesigned and that part has settled down now. And who on earth would ever sell an IMS to a theater? What a piece of crap. If you do then take your right hand and slap your self in the face as hard as you can. You should be selling the SX-3000, its light years ahead of any of the IMS's.

Mark

Jerzy Gwizdz
Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2016 02:43 AM      Profile for Jerzy Gwizdz   Author's Homepage   Email Jerzy Gwizdz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to all for your opinions.
Carsten what's going on with the dowser in 6E?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-27-2016 11:23 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is none...nothing going on. It just doesn't exist on the economy model.

And I dare say Mark, you've never tried the Barco Alchemy server to be able to judge how good it is or isn't. We all get that you are a fanboy for NEC and GDC...it's a given.

David Buckley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2016 04:16 PM      Profile for David Buckley   Author's Homepage   Email David Buckley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
There is none...nothing going on. It just doesn't exist on the economy model.
Though it pretends to all the world that it is. It's like a "shutter" on a consumer level projector, it just blanks the image drive.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-27-2016 09:06 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have absolutely no reason for me to try it Steve. I already have a really good-reliable product base installed.

Mark

Steve Guttag

- posted 05-28-2016 08:35 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not telling you to. But shut up about products you have no experience with because you can offer no valuable information. But consider this, until you check out other things, you'll never know what you are missing.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-31-2016 12:48 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ya can't argue with the success and reliability of the equipment I've installed that does the job its supposed to do. You can take your over priced Barco's and stuff em, but no doubt you make a tidy profit off servicing them! I have had so many odd issues with Barcos that I stopped servicing them all together, it's just not worth the hassle. Like the guy with the clogged light engine...Sheesh, that's ridiculous to even have happen! Rarely does one even really need to change coolant in an NEC, just be sure it's at the correct level. 335 NEC - GDC systems and only a couple of blips in six years is pretty dam good reliability. Christies are still ok for the most part though and I do service and still recommend them on occasion.

Mark

Steve Guttag

- posted 05-31-2016 02:41 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can and will argue (as will many others). Your experience is bordering on "unique." Nobody has the reliability that you claim. I also don't "make a tidy profit" out of fixing Barcos. Quite the contrary, they are the easiest to keep going. And, they get 20% more light on any give wattage lamp than the projectors YOU use. Don't get me wrong, I like NEC well enough and they have NOT been problematic, except for the NC900 (which even you would have to admit is not designed well from a service standpoint).

But to the point on this subject...you have no clue as to how good or bad the Alchemy is. It is definitely a generation ahead of any other server out there and it has been in the field for over a year to get its bugs worked out. People that have them, like them. Your opinion as to the Alchemy versus any other server is worthless since you have no experience with them.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-31-2016 06:28 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With our Barco ESCAPE Install, I have the ICMP Alchemy server located in the "Baker" projector and Barco Commander, with the commander being either a web browser based along with software based interface.

I find Commander to very user friendly like with the Doremi.

Right now, the information from the ICMP can't be seen by the GDC TMS, yet Barco is working on a program or emulator that the ICMP can interface with the GDC.

To get all content up to the ICMP, we have a NAS drive to ingest content into from the LMS, then transfer the content up to the ICMP.

In the meantime, I have to log into the Commander to do my needed digital work.

We do "Star Trek" in July in the Escape format.

- Monte

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: