Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Dolby Spheres Policy Trailer (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Dolby Spheres Policy Trailer
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 05-23-2016 11:48 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have a contact with Dolby for someone who would handle the Dolby Balls trailer. Hollywood Software (Cinedigm) recently did an update to the TCC software where it will assign formats to the auditoriums automatically. However, the name for the CPL is different between the 5.1 and 7.1. I was hoping to contact someone with Dolby to see if it would be possible to get versions where the name was consistent between the two.

As far as it goes, does anyone know if Dolby has plans to release a new version since the Balls trailer is about 6 years old?

|  IP: Logged

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 05-23-2016 12:03 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last marketing contact I had at Dolby (last year) was

Kristin Tedesco
Field Marketing Manager, Americas
Dolby Laboratories
3601 W Alameda Ave
Burbank, CA 91505

Kristin.Tedesco at dolby d o t com

I'm curious though... Why do you want your 5.1 and 7.1 versions to have the same name?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-23-2016 12:36 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have (or can you get) the trailers onto a computer (Dolby and Doremi servers can export to a flash drive or CRU drive)? If so, you can re-wrap them using OpenDCP and give them whatever CPL name you like.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 05-23-2016 12:54 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, I'll look at that.

Manny, It's not that I want them to literally have the same name. It's that right now the 5.1 is "Dolby Spheres Corp" and the 7.1 is "Dolby Spheres". In order for the TMS to assign a version, they have to be named the same

Manny Knowles

- posted 05-23-2016 12:58 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yes. I understand.

Doing it the manual way, it drives me nuts that they have different names.

BTW the THX trailers have whacky names too -- gotta look in different places for them (Trailers, Miscellaneous)

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2016 01:37 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I assume you're speaking of the "Spheres" bumper, since I'm
not aware of them ever having ones named "balls"

If you need new copies, I have them zipped on one of my
computers, if you send me a PM with your e-mail address
I can send you a WE TRANSFER link to download from, and
then I would consider using the method Scott suggested
to re-name them.

Although I work in Dolby's screening room/theater, I cannot
officially speak for them- - but IMO (In My Observation) most
of their current trailer/bumper output is now ATMOS-centric and
although all the older clips are still available, I'd be very surprised
if they had any desire or plans to update any of the older content.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 05-23-2016 01:40 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Jim, message sent.

I also edited the post to say Spheres instead of Balls.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-23-2016 03:32 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The TCC always had the ability to have multiple versions assigned to the same name. In Title Mapping one would use the same Title name with a different Title Version. This is how Flat/Scope version of trailers have always worked.

Our customers always had Spheres show up on 7.1 movies (only). Via the Config sheets one can do the Title Versions and assign them as markers. We then used separate templates for 7.1 (and 3D) so the varioius snipes show up where they should in the show play list.

With respect to TCC 3.5.3.0, you no longer have to add them via the config sheet but can now create markers out of any content. If you are planning on using the new screen attributes feature for this, you will liikely be boasting 7.1 for all movies (including 5.1) in 7.1 capable theatres. Instead, 7.1 should only be shown if the FEATURE is 7.1. If the segment function "same as feature" in say the "logos" segment then perhaps this will work for you. But I would think that using the 5.1 Spheres would be more confusing. I don't thnk they should have ever made a 5.1 version. When one sees/hears it, it should be the clue that the feature is in 7.1. At least that is my opinion on it.

Let us know how it works out.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 05-23-2016 03:35 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
I don't thnk they should have ever made a 5.1 version. When one sees/hears it, it should be the clue that the feature is in 7.1.
I agree with this. Or at least have something different and unique for 7.1.

I like having this right before the feature on all movies because it becomes a cue for the audience that the show is starting.

Manny Knowles

- posted 05-23-2016 04:05 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Purely speculative, but loosely related:
I'd bet that the idea for the Spheres trailer came from a
novelty recording of a game of ping pong.

Anecdotal, but somewhat related:
This aspect of our system -- selecting 5.1 or 7.1 playback -- must be manually selected or manually programmed into the DCP play list. Once I forgot to engage the 7.1 and the tell-tale signs were the absence of the initial two volleys, and the word "around" near the end. And, of course, the "7.1" logo did not appear on-screen. Fortunately, I test every show privately, so there was ample time to make the fix.

Here's how we cue the audience that the feature is about to start:
The lights go all the way down
A message appears on-screen saying "turn off all electronic devices."

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-23-2016 04:14 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Sent you links.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 05-23-2016 05:22 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Manny Knowles
Once I forgot to engage the 7.1 and the tell-tale signs were the absence of the initial two volleys, and the word "around" near the end.
When I'm mapping the titles I have to specify 5.1 of 7.1 sound. When I specify 7.1, the system automatically throws in whatever 7.1 cues are needed. I do find this kind of bothersome since the sound format is right there in the CPL. I don't know if it's the TCC not reading meta data or the CPL not containing the meta data. Either way, this should be automatic.

The recent change to the Hollywood Software TCC allows you to map multiple CPLs to the same title version, then it automatically chooses the best content based on the specifics of the auditorium and how you have things prioritized.

Brad, thanks for the links. I am downloading now.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2016 06:51 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm slightly confused. The only Spheres policy I'm aware of has a female voice that whispers "All...Around...You" which starts in the right surround and pans around to the back and then the left. It's designed to advertise the Dolby 7.1DS format. Is there also a version that does not have the "all around you" for 5.1?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-24-2016 10:58 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-24-2016 12:33 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use a 5.1 version that DOES say "All around you."

I tend to use the Countdown trailer more often because Spheres is obnoxious and annoying after a while.

I sure wish Dolby gave a crap about getting their name out there and would create some more trailers (and actually distribute them to theaters).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: