Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Alternative content audio switch 5.1

Author Topic: Alternative content audio switch 5.1
David Buckley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2016 10:00 PM      Profile for David Buckley   Author's Homepage   Email David Buckley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, does anyone have a 5.1 audio switch? CP750 has one mulit-channel input, and I would like more than one muti-channel source without cable swapping. Bonus points if its like a relay with external control.

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-19-2016 06:20 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not ideal because it can introduce some crosstalk but the simplest solution is a computer parallel printer selector switch box. These are small boxes with several DB25 connectors and a knob, there's a wafer switch inside. I've seen 5 way switch boxes (not recently).
I haven't seen a remote controlled one, and parallel printers are rather passe - although these switches are still available.
It would be pretty easy to make a two-way switcher with relays activated from a relay automation (Jnior or Ecna), three-way or more wouldn't be too hard either.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 05-19-2016 06:31 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Odessey has a six channel audio switch that works for CP500 / 650 which may work. I use them in locations where DCP audio and a six channel audio jack panel for client's external hardware share the same input. Call or e-mail; they are great people to deal with.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-19-2016 07:13 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wohler used to make what you are looking for as part of their ARS series (Audio Routing Selectors). They made them in stereo and multichannel. However, analog audio isn't what it used to be back in the analog days so they are no longer available. Wohler (since the target the Broadcast industry) wasn't cheap either. You can check on eBay to see what may be available at the moment.

There are A/V companies like Extron that make analog audio switchers but they are going to be stereo however you can always stack 3 or 4 of them to get 6 or 8-channels and just switch all at once. However, getting that many NEW switchers is bound to be more expensive than you are planning. However, you'd have an RS232 type switcher...again eBay may make this sort of thing more viable.

In the unbalanced world, DTS used to make input modules for the DTS6 and 6D products, I think it was the D567 board that was an 8-channel relay board with DB25 in/out connectors and switchable with dry contact once the board was supplied with power. There are bound to be some of those laying about now in some booth.

There are the cheeseball type home theatre stuff like this one http://www.hdtvsupply.com/5-1-audio-switch.html

If do a Google search, you'll see there are other solutions out there.

We ended up rolling our own...designed it as a dual channel board with a pair of DIP relays but did a step and repeat on the build so it can be a 8-channel switch. Just band-saw off as many channels as the project needs stuff with parts to suit the voltage of the project.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2016 08:33 AM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The complete model identification is: Coleman Audio 7.1SW

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-19-2016 11:13 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Odyssey's board gets a solid recommendation from me. It works flawlessly and as noted above, they are great people to deal with.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: