Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » DSS200 Show Manager - login possible that allows ingestion but not deletion?

Author Topic: DSS200 Show Manager - login possible that allows ingestion but not deletion?
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-05-2016 08:13 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just discovered a major problem: a walkin slide show DCP that is needed for a show that takes place once a month was deleted by the projectionist working last month's show (the log shows that it was deleted at the end of that night, along with the feature DCP that was screened), I'm guessing because he didn't know that it was a monthly thing, and I forgot to tell him. Here we are tonight, and no slide show - I'll have to remake the DCP for next month, and grovel in the meantime.

Is there any login for Dolby Show Manager that permits ingestion but not deletion? Ideally I'd like to give all the other projectionists a username and password that does not let them delete anything. Not letting them ingest anything won't work, because they need to do that on days when I can't be there. But I would like to set the DSS200s up such that only I can delete content. The "operator" username does not allow ingestion or deletion, only playback, so that won't work. Any suggestions gratefully appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 05-05-2016 09:03 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A hearty "Hey guys, don't delete anything!" won't work?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-05-2016 09:15 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't want to rely on that. One of my co-workers in particular has an obsession with deleting everything the second the show is over. I'd sleep much easier knowing that I'm in control of what stays and what goes.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-05-2016 09:37 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think so. If you can get a real terminal open plus a login that can do it - and have some Linux skilz - you could make the files read-only... but I don't know that Dolby has a true terminal available, and I don't have a DSS superuser password.
With a Doremi it's possible as the root password is an open secret... but I'm not going to fool around with chmod on one. I'm nervous enough being logged in as root just doing "normal" stuff - a typo could easily brick the server.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-06-2016 07:34 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not a chance in Show Manager. You have Operator, Projectionist and Manager logins. You don't even get to change the username. Projectionist restricts one from the service tab and Operator restricts you to just the Control Tab (and anyone gets Monitor). So once you are "promoted" to Projectionist, you are entitled to Build and Content all you want (they used to be one tab that sub-divided back in ShowManager 3).

Now a feature I have requested but I don't think will ever be implemented is to have a tickbox on content and shows for "permanent". In the case of shows, it would be "template" so that way your are forced into a "Save As" situation and in the case of content you can only delete it if that box is unticked (keeps policy snipes from disappearing). However, I'm but one vote...perhaps if you were to write to Dolby yourself (or via Dolby Customer) the more people that want something the higher the chance of it happening.

Tim Sherman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2016 04:34 PM      Profile for Tim Sherman   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Sherman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
Now a feature I have requested but I don't think will ever be implemented is to have a tickbox on content and shows for "permanent"
Doremi has this option for content in the content manager.

In all honesty I am surprised there has not yet been a big update to the Doremi servers to make them software branded Dolby. Or that they haven't updated so the Doremi and Dolby use a similar GUI.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-06-2016 06:15 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I work with GDC units and a TMS.

I save CPL's when I need them.

I create, on the LMS's main OS drive, a directory that I save DCP's in that I might need down the road if needed.

Quite easy to do.

In the C:\ drive, I create a directory labelled DCP. Within this created directory, I create sub directories of the name of the needed CPL.

In the "Content" tab within the TMS operation, I find what CPL's that I want to save. I highlight that CPL, right click to show directory this piece of content as it is stored on the LMS. That directory will open showing the entire content of that DCP. I highlight all of that content in that DCP. Then, right click, save as (or, copy to), that highlighted content into the created CPL directory in the DCP folder.

Now, I have a permanent copy of that CPL if I need it and not worrying on it being deleted on accident.

To recall that CPL, I go to my ingest manager, find these two directories and proceed to the ingest procedures.

-Monte

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 05-07-2016 12:22 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remake the DCP? I thought per the other thread that you don't return drives until they are no longer needed. If this was an in-house thing, are you saying the only copy you retained was what was actually on the server? Surely the in-house version of not sending back a drive would be to retain it on the machine it was made or a backup drive somewhere.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-07-2016 05:36 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The standard Doremi login only allows to ingest and compose SPLs. In order to delete something, you need a second password. Actually a lot of people hate that they have to enter that password, but I consider it a life saver.

Plus, on a Doremi, user rights and logins are configurable through the GUI.

I guess if you modify user rights on a Dolby DSS on the linux level, it will create a shitload of problems because the SMS assumes the current user to have certain access rights for other operations.

'Don't delete, I do it when necessary!' seems to be the only option for the DSS Dolbys.

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: