Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Control Dolby NA-10 automation with non-Dolby server?

Author Topic: Control Dolby NA-10 automation with non-Dolby server?
Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2016 05:13 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this possible? If so, anyone know how to set it up on a GDC?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-03-2016 07:57 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if it has ever been done. Dolby never published any command set. I suppose, if you were to use a program like Wire Shark and monitor the port while a Dolby server talks to it, you could figure out what it responds to. Note too, it may not be "human readable" code.

Leslie Hartmier
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2016 07:50 PM      Profile for Leslie Hartmier   Email Leslie Hartmier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, only my opinion, but NA-10s are immeasurably improved by immersion into dumpsters.

Gordon McLeod made a replacement for them when Dolby pretty clearly said that they were not interested in a conversation about those things, as we found they liked to go to sleep and not wake up to do stuff when the Dolby DSS/DSPs would send a command.

His board works with our Doremis, our GDCs and yes, our Dolbys.

Still, it is an interesting idea to use them, and if you can make it happen, I'd be interested in knowing how, just in the interests of curiosity.

Magnus Eriksson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2016 04:14 AM      Profile for Magnus Eriksson   Email Magnus Eriksson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone tried the digital fader option for CP45/55/65/200 on NA10?
/M.E.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-12-2016 01:52 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never had many issues with the couple dozen NA-10's I installed although I only have one site running two NA-10's any more. Personally, anything other then ethernet com is in the dark ages. Most laptops and PC's no longer even have serial ports on them. You have to resort to a USB to serial adapter. I used to get a small board that was serial to ethernet out of a place in Burbank. The name unfortunately escapes me. If I remember it I'll come back and edit it in to this post.

Mark

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2016 03:09 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the fader option was ever implemented.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2016 06:01 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, the NA-10 DOES use ethernet. It's just that the commands are proprietary and not published. But ethernet is how it communicates with the Dolby server. The unit has a serial port on it for using the PC setup software, similar to the CP-650. Given that Dolby says the device is proprietary and can't be used with other servers, I doubt that the serial port is used or can be used for anything else.

As for serial ports on laptops, the small USB-to-RS232 adapter from Tripp Lite is very reliable. I have used them on many laptops and never had an issue.

I've never used the fader option, but I'm pretty sure it was implemented because it is documented and the documentation doesn't say anything along the lines of "for future use." Whether it works reliably, I can't say.

I'm sure this thing *could* be made to work with other servers if one could figure out the commands. That's exactly what I was hoping someone else has already done. It would be faster for me to just install a new automation when I replace the server!

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2016 06:46 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The setup software uses USB not serial. It can also use Ethernet. Getting it to work over Ethernet can be problematic.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-13-2016 11:34 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just never had issues with it and Ethernet. Not that we were using a bazillion functions on it, usually around a dozen or so though. Some of the operational reliability had to do with not placing cues too close together on some early versions of the Dolby Firmware as the server would miss sending the cues out. I have two on DSS-100's at a twin and one on a DSS-200 single screener and an extra working NA-10 on my parts shelf just in case one of those units dies. All the sites are very marginal operations and probably couldn't even afford a new eCNA-5. I always thought the NA-10 was a good idea because it would mount and wire in place of old wall mounted automation very easily. I wish Dolby had expanded it to an NA-12 or NA-15 with more features, etc. Having the automation in the base and having to route all the wiring into and back out of the base is way more work and connections when converting over from film.

Mark

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 05-13-2016 01:06 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On a DSS200 why not just use the built-in dry contact relays? Unless you need something more substantial in which case use those relays to control others.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-14-2016 08:53 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We avoid using internal automation on servers and projectors. If (rarely) a Jnior fails we can program a replacement (IP address plus any devices and macros used), ship it out, and a site staffer can install it in a few minutes.
If a server or projector GPIO port fails... major headache. Very expensive boards usually carry these functions, plus a tech to replace them and reprogram whatever else is on the board - for Doremi this is on the media block card ($$$). Probably the Dolby with relays is more durable than electronic ports but I would still prefer an external interface.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-14-2016 01:44 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DSS200 I/O board is not one of the pricey ones and is a plug in card (and wouldn't need to be reconfigured). But I agree with Dave on this one...I prefer a stand alone automation for doing automating things. We use the eCNA line and they have done outstanding for us.

We do have some retired NA10s for sale though.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: