Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » NTP server in Doremi/Dolby servers?

Author Topic: NTP server in Doremi/Dolby servers?
Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2016 02:01 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there an NTP server in these? If so, is there some menu item to enable it?

THANKS!

Harold

|  IP: Logged

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 05-03-2016 02:50 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there is. No menus, you'll have to dig into Linux.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-03-2016 04:21 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where would it get it's reference from unless it is connected to the internet some how? Most servers don't even have the ability to go on the internet. You'd have to use an NTP Server or GPS Clock that puts out NTP correction. A little expensive for just one server.

Mark

Stefan Vogels
Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2016 04:56 PM      Profile for Stefan Vogels   Email Stefan Vogels   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In latest doremi version there is an option to set NTP in the GUI. In control panel under time settings.

Tim Sherman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2016 06:26 PM      Profile for Tim Sherman   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Sherman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would just get an old computer and load a free version of linux. Then install an NTP server on it. The linux computer could then connect to us.ntp.pool.org if you are in the US. or equivalent and the Cinema Servers could then pull the ntp from the linux computer.

I would have done this myself, but my NOC server already has NTP on it so my servers reference that.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-03-2016 08:00 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are referring to the DSS line...they all had NTP servers in them. The idea was that the server would get its time from the library and the library would get its time from a real NTP source so a server, at best would be a Stratum 3...then any device in the auditorium would ask its respective server for the time. So the projector, for instance could get its time form the server, which got its time from the library which got its time from the NTP source. No chance of flooding that way too.

As for Doremi...I can't speak to them at this time.

Danial Simmonds
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2016 02:31 AM      Profile for Danial Simmonds   Author's Homepage   Email Danial Simmonds   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have a PC on the network, install an app called ntpd server by meinberg it is for windows. All your other servers can point to that PC IP for NTP update.

Steve Guttag

- posted 05-06-2016 07:47 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know about that program...I've always done it using w32time. It does require modifying your registry for w32time though. So far, every server has accepted it as NTP and correctly noted the stratum.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-06-2016 11:01 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried ntpd but didn't have time to screw around with it much. It seemed to install ok and run as a service on startup, but Doremi servers would not connect to it.
What needs to be done to get w32time working?
This could be a Win10 firewall problem too, again I had little time to fiddle.
The site has a booth PC connected to the management network so scheduling etc can be done sitting down in one place. No actual LMS/TMS.
I had hoped to have all 6 servers agreeing on time, not so picky about whether it's "correct" time. Show starts would at least by synchronized.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-06-2016 06:09 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
If you are referring to the DSS line...they all had NTP servers in them. The idea was that the server would get its time from the library and the library would get its time from a real NTP source so a server, at best would be a Stratum 3...then any device in the auditorium would ask its respective server for the time. So the projector, for instance could get its time form the server, which got its time from the library which got its time from the NTP source. No chance of flooding that way too.
Pretty much exactly the same way GDC does it minus the library server which was really a waste of resources anyway.

Mark

Steve Guttag

- posted 05-06-2016 07:43 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, you don't know what you are talkng about. The GDC servers do not act as an NTP server for the rest of the devices on that screen.

The Library runs the TMS in a Dolby networking scheme (the UI is really running from the Library on all connected servers) so it is functioning as booth the TMS and the LMS for the system.

With the Dolby networking scheme, you had essentially endless IPs available since there were 128 IPs for each screen and just shy of 250 IPs for the complex not auditorium specific. You also had the makings of a secure network but if you wanted to, you can set up routes where everything would be accessible because each server has its own router internally...another thing that GDC does not do.

There is nothing special that GDC does that any other normal TMS/LMS system doesn't do.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: