Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » NEC 900 Firmware (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: NEC 900 Firmware
Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2016 12:57 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it safe to upgrade firmware from 3.00 to the latest in one shot?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-29-2016 03:52 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I, personally, wouldn't be so bold. In theory, it should work. Are you sure you are on service pack 3.00? That isn't even downloadable anymore. Remember too, on the NC900 some things have to be updated manually via RS232 in conjunction (like the lens firmware...currently on 10). The NC900 wasn't issued with anything less than 4.200 so something sounds fishy here.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-29-2016 06:10 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems like someone stuck an ICP in it from an older machine.

Mark

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-30-2016 09:25 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The new lens firmware is somewhat interesting but I have had zero lens problems with the NC-900's. These lenses ar more stable than NC-2000 are. Does anyone know what it is supposed to "fix"?

Thanks,
Mark

Ian Freer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2016 03:05 PM      Profile for Ian Freer   Email Ian Freer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't quote me on this, but I think it contains a fix for a potential issue that can fry one of the lens shift motors. I too haven't had any lens shift failures, but the factory must have seen an issue repeating itself somewhere around the world , and this firmware is designed to prevent further occurrences...

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 04-30-2016 03:25 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,
The 900 is VERY inaccurate when it comes to lens positioning, how can you say ZERO problems?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-01-2016 08:10 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The new lens firmware is somewhat interesting but I have had zero lens problems with the NC-900's. These lenses ar more stable than NC-2000 are. Does anyone know what it is supposed to "fix"?

Thanks,
Mark

Steve Guttag

- posted 05-01-2016 09:18 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The NC900 lens settings are the most unstable in the industry...what are you talking about? It can't hit its mark...ever. Heck you can't adjust it precisely to begin with.

Version 10 of the lens firmware is supposed to fix a corruption potential. That said, I too have not had a problem in version 09.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 05-02-2016 04:57 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

Have you seen a similar issue with the Barco S series? Haven't installed many but it seems that if the two lens positions are far away then no problems; but if Flat and Scope are very close (Flat screen) then the projector seems to struggle to get back to the same spot twice?

Steve Guttag

- posted 05-02-2016 12:50 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have enough experience with the "S" series to comment one way or the other beyond not noticing a problem but flat/scope lens settings must have been far enough apart. Fortunately, most of our potential "S2K" projectors have bought the better DP2K-12C instead.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-03-2016 07:48 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For Barco projectors with almost-identical lens files I break the normal rule of saving after moving in the direction of motion from the other preset - by saving after moving the other way the lens motors go past the target and then back. This seems to make them more repeatable, I think possible with very small movements the drive hysteresis is not fully taken up. Making them go past and back on preset changes eliminates that error.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 05-03-2016 12:55 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dave, I'll give it a go next time

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-03-2016 07:28 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My only beef about the NC-900 is the speed of the focus and zoom. Othter wise I've had zero complaints and no focus or zoom drift.

Mark

Steve Guttag

- posted 05-03-2016 08:02 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has a bigger problem with vertical and horizontal shift. Though zoom isn't stellar either.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 05-04-2016 01:42 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark

That's simply untrue. It's a limitation acknowledged by NEC too.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: