Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Some Vintage DLP Cinema Pics (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Some Vintage DLP Cinema Pics
Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 04-24-2016 10:03 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to see a silent film presentation (off DVD presumably) at a wonderful small movie palace only about 40 minutes away that I was completely unaware of, the Hoosier Theatre in Whiting, Indiana.

Walked in and what should I see but this blast from the past, a first generation (1.2K) DLP system. I was like OMG!

-

-

For those unfamiliar, this is a separate projector head (the diagonal thing) and lamphouse. In those early days, the movie often came on a stack of DVD/R's that could take hours to load.

Seemed odd that this small theatre could have been on the cutting edge but the owner explained that the setup actually came out of an ILM screening room and they had hoped to use it to show alt content but it never really worked out. And now, of course, they are digital with a Christie + GDC setup.

And as long as I am dredging up DLP history, do you remember DPI (Digital Projection Inc.) as one of the DLP Cinema licensees? Neither does anyone else. They dropped out and NEC signed on. But here is a 2K projector head made by them and affectionately called "The Egg." Again, a separate lamphouse system. This was at Ebertfest 2007 at the Virginia Theatre (Champaign, IL) and provided by Jame Bond's Full Aperture Systems.

-

Bond wasn't sure but felt it may have been the only one in the country. Has anyone else seen one of these?

|  IP: Logged

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2016 12:38 AM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So did you buy it?!?!

Seems a strange thing to keep in a lobby.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 04-25-2016 12:52 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL no. Even if they gave it away, I'm not sure what I'd do with it. Hope it finds a good home though.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-25-2016 06:52 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the topic, here is the very first DLP installation in the US, which was used for the Star Wars screenings at the (now closed) Loews Meadows Six in Secaucus, NJ. in 1999:

-

And here is the first DLP system in our market, installed at the General Cinema home office theatre in 2000; the first screening was Disney's Dinosaur.

-

-

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 04-25-2016 07:52 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sad how quickly digital equipment becomes "vintage."

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-25-2016 08:42 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The blue ones are the hand built T.I. Projectors. There is one of those at GDC in Burbank that is in working condition.

Mark

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2016 10:50 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first DLP projectors I recall seeing were like the ones in the photos
Scott posted. Basically it was just a Christie 35mm projector console with
the "DLP Box" bolted on front where the 35mm projector head would have
normally been.

A friend who collects "Star Wars" stuff gave me a
couple of these stickers which were apparently handed
out at the first "Phantom Menace" digital screenings.

-

I've been able to find very little technical info on the Boeing system online,
but from what I have been able to scrounge up, it seems that Boeing mainly
provided the encryption and satellite distribution technology. I'm not sure
who built the projectors.

According to an old press release I found online, Boeing sold off it's
digital cinema division to Access-IT in the early 2000's

Maybe someone here can contribute more info.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 04-25-2016 11:23 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DPI sold their TI "cinema" license to to NEC and went on to build non DCI spec DLP projectors for other applications.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-25-2016 02:52 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MKPE has a bit of early digital cinema history on their website:

http://mkpe.com/digital_cinema/history/

- Carsten

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-25-2016 08:05 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay...I've looked (searched) and haven't found the picture here on F-T that (I think Joe made) spoofed of the "Technicolor" digital projector. It morphed a MarkVII projector with a Technicolor metal shipping can. Where is it?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-26-2016 03:16 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What was the reason why the head on these early units, was pitched 45 degrees from vertical?

I heard it had to do with the chipset, or similar..

thx -Monte

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-26-2016 03:59 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always want to get one of those heads and mount it on a Simplex Heavy Duty base and put a Peerles Hycandescent behind it and take a pix called "Old meets New"

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-26-2016 06:22 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original thought was to use existing lamp/power sources so the entrance and exit parameters are known thus the optics had to shift around to fit.

Once the burden of not having to use existing light sources, they could alter the light path so it was convenient for the projector.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2016 08:55 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have some pictures of a Barco D CineStar on a Kinoton console I'd share in this thread, but for some reason I can't see the 'upload' button. Come to think of it I can't see the left hand site of the site like I used to.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 04-27-2016 10:28 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jim Cassedy
I've been able to find very little technical info on the Boeing system online,
but from what I have been able to scrounge up, it seems that Boeing mainly
provided the encryption and satellite distribution technology. I'm not sure
who built the projectors.

This was a VERY early concept, right? If this is what I heard about up here, it was short lived.

I was only aware of the distribution part. At the time, Boeing had a lot of unused bandwidth available, and content distribution seemed like a good prospect. Reality eventually set in and, after they worked out the logistics, the idea was scrapped. If encryption was part of the deal, I didn't hear of it. I don't think Boeing had anything to do with the projectors... and probably not directly with the exhibitors, either.

But... this was a long time ago, so there may be parts of this I've forgotten.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: