Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » CP2220 TPC Dead

Author Topic: CP2220 TPC Dead
Annli Com
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2016 11:23 PM      Profile for Annli Com   Author's Homepage   Email Annli Com   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear All
Yesterday Our Property Last Show Running Middle Of The Movie Suddenly CP2220 TPC Is Dead But No Break The Show .
And I Try To Connect Via VNC But Not Respond ,After The Show I Change The TPC From Another One is Working Fine.
Any Other Option To Working regularly In CP2220 Without TPC .
Regards
ShibuPaul

|  IP: Logged

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 04-24-2016 04:05 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The VNC runs on the TPC itself - that's why it's not working.

If your server has cues to control the projector (formats, lamp on/off etc) you should be able to use the projector without a TPC.

Otherwise if you push the "emergency" button, the projector will turn on on the last format before it was switched off - if memory serves.

Annli Com
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-24-2016 05:50 AM      Profile for Annli Com   Author's Homepage   Email Annli Com   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Sir
Thank You for Replay; The Projector Working Fine without TPC, But Show Time Suddenly Video is Blank in the Screen but No Douser close, Audio No Problem, After Connect the another TPC Then Douser Close and Open the Video out to Screen. Any External System Connect (Like Laptop) Working The Projector Without TPC ?
Regards: ShibuPaul

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2016 12:58 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I disagree with Marco. As your experience indicates, you cannot run the projector (except in Emergency mode, which only puts picture on screen using the last selected channel) without a working TPC. Unlike other brands where the TPC is an option, Christie projectors require a TPC to function. This is why your cues aren't working. If your TPC has died, it needs to be replaced. You can move one from a working projector to verify that it is the TPC that is at fault (as you have already done), but obviously you would not want to do this on a daily basis. And no, there is no way to access or control the projector remotely (like from a laptop) without the TPC.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 04-26-2016 03:26 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ken,

I thought I may be mistaken, thanks for clarifying.

I kind of remember Christie saying that you could run a cinema with one TPC though - only hassle to have to confirm the serial number when it's plugged into another projector?

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-26-2016 04:15 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marco,

Unlike Barco and NEC, you can't purchase a projector without a TPC, so the only way you'd end up with just one is if all the others failed and were never replaced. But I think what they were referring to is if one does fail, you can pull one from another projector temporarily to control the this projector (if you need to change channels or something like that).

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 04-26-2016 04:23 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes you are right.

So when I'm sending a macro command to the projector I'm sending it to the TPC?

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 04-27-2016 09:43 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty much. The TPC is separate but integral to operation. Channels are stored in the TPC I believe, so changing them needs a TPC. I don't know where the lens files are stored, hopefully the PIB: screen files are on the ICP. Using a different projector's TPC to change channels should work properly, but much beyond that I wouldn't count on. Assuming lens files are on the PIB, probably the filenames have to be identical... not always the case depending on who set them up. Same with MCGD files etc., if selecting a channel calls up those files you will have unpredictable results from the "wrong" TPC.
Barco's touchpanel is not required for normal operation, and an expensive option. If your site is networked you can swap one to a different screen but leave the ethernet cable disconnected... or it will connect to the projector it came from: with that out it will connect to the one it's plugged into via serial, slower but effective. You can do anything with any touchpanel since it reads the macros and such from the projector on connection. To upgrade an S model though, you should have an external power supply... projectors reboot on some steps and the S powers the panel down on reboot (the others don't) which makes upgrading a loooong and frustrating process. With external DCTP power the upgrade steps just continue after reboot.
NEC doesn't have a touchpanel. You use a PC to do most service tasks. Beware Series 1 NEC though, they kinda need the IR/plugin remote control thingy which doesn't always come with used units.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2016 04:32 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The pib has a backup copy of the tpc settings. When one installs a replacement tpc it ask if one wants to restore setting from the pib to the tpc. Once can also restore the pib from the tpc.

I know a person that got a similar tpc unit online and was able to plug the flash card in the replacement unit. It worked. He did have to find the proper touch screen drive as it was a slightly different model but it did work. Until he got the touch screen driver installed he used a usb mouse.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2016 09:24 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it's basically a specialized Windows Mobile (Maybe CE? I'm not sure exactly which version, but it definitely is Windows) computer, but that computer is necessary to drive the projector.

NEC does have a touch panel option, at least they did for Series 1. Maybe they discontinued it for Series 2 because nobody was buying them. You don't need the IR remote. It comes with a new projector, but I've never used it. You can do everything in the DCC softare. Staff uses the remote to change lamps, but that's about it, and that can be done in the software, too. If you buy a used projector and it doesn't come with the remote, you can just buy a cheap laptop or even netbook and run DCC.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: