Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » DCP Named "C" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DCP Named "C"
Bradley J Sime
Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2016 11:36 AM      Profile for Bradley J Sime   Author's Homepage   Email Bradley J Sime       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this flat or scope?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-22-2016 11:45 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think C stands for Common, meaning you can play it either way.

Bradley J Sime
Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2016 11:50 AM      Profile for Bradley J Sime   Author's Homepage   Email Bradley J Sime       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. Thanks. Well, the pixel lay out is closer to that of Scope, so I guess I'll use that? Why the hell does "C" exist?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-22-2016 11:52 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like I said...so you can play it either way without fear of cutting off the picture.

We have a couple of snipes that are in "C" format.

Dan Puma
Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2016 11:54 AM      Profile for Dan Puma   Email Dan Puma   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Full Container. It's 1.90. Will be letterboxed in flat. But Steve, et al can tell you a lot more than I can.

Tim Linehan
Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2016 12:28 PM      Profile for Tim Linehan   Email Tim Linehan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's full container 2048 x 1080 - *should* be flat.

I've had projects come in as C which were various aspects, i.e., 1:33, 16:9, or 2.39 pillar boxed. I was told that certain DCP authoring programs default to the C, inexplicably sometimes.

Look at it and see. It's probably 1.85, slightly letterboxed.

Bradley J Sime
Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2016 01:55 PM      Profile for Bradley J Sime   Author's Homepage   Email Bradley J Sime       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys. I went ahead and made a new 2048x1080 No Crop Channel on my projector. Easiest way. I still don't really see the purpose of the crazy "C" naming convention, but whatever.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-22-2016 02:27 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IF they chose that container type intentionally, a simple 'C' will mean a full container with 2048*1080 active pixels.

Any content letterboxed or pillarboxed within a C container should have it's aspect ratio added as a number.

See: http://isdcf.com/dcnc/

See also:

http://isdcf.com/dcnc/home/appendix-7-projector-aspect-ratio.html

And:

---
ISDCF recommended practice that for aspect ratios under 1.85 (such as academy aperture 1.33) pillar box in a flat package. For aspect ratio from 1.85 to 2.30 letter box in a flat package. For aspect ratios above 2.30 letter box in a scope package. The suggestion is to inform the theaters of the actual aspect ratio of the feature and not request/require masking - but if someone wanted to - great! BUT you must not mess up the trailers - so the masking would need to be automated before the feature.
---

- Carsten

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-22-2016 03:07 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Carsten Kurz
ISDCF recommended practice that for aspect ratios under 1.85 (such as academy aperture 1.33) pillar box in a flat package. For aspect ratio from 1.85 to 2.30 letter box in a flat package. For aspect ratios above 2.30 letter box in a scope package.
Interesting - all the Todd-AO ratio (2.20:1) studio DCPs I've had (e.g. Oklahoma and Hello Dolly) have been pillarboxed in scope (S-220); presumably because if they were letterboxed in flat, most screens with only two projector presets and vertical masking would just show them flat with a big letterbox if they were F-220.

I'm not sure that this is the best recommended practice, given the reality of most of the digital screens out there.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-22-2016 03:31 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tomorrowland and Jurassic World had been letterboxed in Flat containers (F-20, F-220).

That ISDCF recommendation is a fairly recent one, and it is not the law.

- Carsten

Mike Babb
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2016 03:40 PM      Profile for Mike Babb   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Babb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my experience outside of most major studio releases, C means nothing, and often F means nothing and S means nothing. It's very common to have mismarked titles, or titles with no information at film festivals. But C should be container, 2048 x 1080, it just rarely is.

Bradley J Sime
Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2016 04:14 PM      Profile for Bradley J Sime   Author's Homepage   Email Bradley J Sime       Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno, when I played the C film with a Flat (1920x1080) it looked wack. It looked a little wack using the scope lens, too. The only way I could find to get it where I wanted it was to create a new channel with the dimensions given for a full container.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 04-22-2016 05:28 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Full container is not Flat. It's full container! You should have a specific macro on your projector - not that anybody has it.

IF the content is actually full container (choose a full container PCF and disable masking to check) THEN you will need a proper macro.

Alternatively if you can't be bothered you can chop off the extra picture on the sides.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-22-2016 05:51 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bradley J Sime
I dunno, when I played the C film with a Flat (1920x1080) it looked wack.
Possibly because flat (F) is 1998x1080, not 1920x1080. 1920x1080 is F-178.

Bradley J Sime
Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2016 05:55 PM      Profile for Bradley J Sime   Author's Homepage   Email Bradley J Sime       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I made a macro for it.

*Oh yeah I meant 1998x1080

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: