Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Severe 3D ghosting on Jungle Book

Author Topic: Severe 3D ghosting on Jungle Book
Thomas Pitt
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2016 03:29 PM      Profile for Thomas Pitt   Email Thomas Pitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today I went to see Jungle Book in 3D at the Bradford Cineworld; the first time I've been to see a 3D movie since developing my vision impairment (long story). The 3D effect certainly worked, but there was quite severe ghosting in places - so bad that it actually became distracting on some scenes. In my opinion this was a problem with the presentation itself rather than my vision, and the 3D trailers before the movie also suffered from ghosting.

I don't know what system they use there; all I know is that it's a Real D system with a silver screen. The theatre has always had some mild ghosting on their 3D movies, but today's showing was definitely the worst I've ever seen it.

There wasn't any noticeable flicker, and the 3D was definitely the right way round. Oddly one eye seemed to suffer from ghosting more than the other. Any ideas what could have caused this in a Real D setup?

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-20-2016 03:59 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lens polarizer probably was out of alignment.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 04-20-2016 05:22 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Real-D Z-screen can be damaged by overheating - there is a cooling blower that can clog with dust so it overheats playing 3D, and its power can be turned off when not in use for 3D to reduce blower wear and dust collection - not good if it's left in the image beam. I haven't heard of such damage to the Real-D XL.
Master Image disks can also be damaged by overheating if you leave it in the image beam stopped.

Joju Zacharias
Film Handler

From: Changanacherry-city,Kottayam-district, Kerala-state, India

- posted 04-20-2016 09:43 PM      Profile for Joju Zacharias   Email Joju Zacharias   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the same experience with "Jungle Book 3D", there was severe ghosting all throughout the movie and the trailers before it (Alice through the looking glass, Captain America civil war)

I'm not a projectionist or a technician, I'm only an enthusiast, so please forgive me if try to sound like pro.

The theater at which I saw the film was recently converted to 2K3D, they use a Barco projector, I have no idea what other equipment they use, the screen was changed to a brand new silver screen.This was their first presentation in 3D, they gave disposable paper 3D glasses which has circular polarizers, I'm not sure if they use RealD system.

I thought the problem was in the settings, that the refresh rate of the 3D filter and the projector is not in sync, ie; the filter has left eye signal turned on briefly during the time projector shows left image and partly during the right image. I saw the movie in 2D at the same place a week ago and I know how sharp the image was, in 3D everything was blurry (with glasses on), picture was way too soft, even the subtitles was soft. They showed the film in flat for the early 2D screenings and in scope for the 3D screenings.

I experienced similar issue for "Gods of egypt" and it was at a different cinema.

The sad part is most of the audience didn't even know there was something wrong with the picture, they thought what they were seeing was right.

Matt Russell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2016 11:51 PM      Profile for Matt Russell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen The Jungle Book, but I had this same problem on Batman v Superman in 3D as well. It was very noticeable during any dark scenes with light in the background.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-21-2016 03:25 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Batman vs. Superman is said to have suffered globally from a mastering issue.
Seems there was no QC on the 3D version.

- Carsten

Marlon Martins
Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2016 07:32 PM      Profile for Marlon Martins   Email Marlon Martins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 2 screens here have a bit of ghosting in contrast areas. i will make a 3D DCP test video to show the problems more easily, to help technicians fix it.

we use volfoni crystal

Terry Monohan
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2016 11:01 PM      Profile for Terry Monohan   Email Terry Monohan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched Jungle Book at the Edwards/Regal Imax Theatre in Fresno Ca a few days ago. You can only blow a film like this up so far as many parts were not crisp like the old Imax/70mm days. It was filmed flat so the whole large Imax 3-D square screen was in use. Both projectors were on and I did not see any ghosting at this Imax cinema. They had the new Imax stereo surround speakers on the side walls and back (many of them) great jungle sound effects on this new Disney film.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: