Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Pro hardware video players 2016! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Pro hardware video players 2016!
Javier Plano
Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2016 08:25 PM      Profile for Javier Plano   Author's Homepage   Email Javier Plano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi guys

I discover this forum googling for professional video players to use on an indie film festival. there was a thread about it from 2012.

http://www.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=16;t=001206#000000

as I didn't wanted to revive such an old topic, I'm starting a new one, just to see if anything has changed since then. I'm from Argentina, sometimes things take a little more time to become popular here

if DCP it's not an option (for its costs), what's the next best thing out there right now for screening digital files with high quality and stability?

if the answer is a computer, any software free or paid to do a decent playlist, that really makes videos look and play as should (VLC it's not top notch, in my opinion)? what about file formats, some HD codecs are really preferable to others for a public screening?

thanks for the answers, I really apreciate them.

|  IP: Logged

Marlon Martins
Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2016 01:15 PM      Profile for Marlon Martins   Email Marlon Martins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i like VLC cause it's easy to manage playlist, create shortcuts, and very very configurable.

im using not for cinema, but on small projectors on social events. not the same audience, but the same functionality.

i got a mini-pc just for this function, everything works great. i use my phone as remote controller with shortcuts for enhanced usability.

when using windows/mac/linux, there are a lot of possibilities on playing videos [Wink]

about video formats, a few can easily be used. h.264 i-frame (properly configured) can get amazing results. also mpeg2 i-frame with high bitrate.

some codecs also can use higher profiles for lower quality loss, to keep the best "originality"

i believe there is some programs aimed specific for this (like some VJ software) but for now, quality wise, VLC is great for me.

as VLC have internal decoders, it handle it better and more safely. just drag the playlist to a second monitor, and primary hdmi output to the projector. disable any on-screen stuff, works great.

my main tip is: use SSD only [Wink]

Javier Plano
Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2016 02:08 PM      Profile for Javier Plano   Author's Homepage   Email Javier Plano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks for your reply Marlon

I need something a little more dynamic and robust, as it is a ten days festival with 3 or 4 programs by day

I'm thinking on a mac book pro, because of the file formats we receive (I'm a PC man myself). and yes, with an SSD

I just want to know if there is some specific hardware for this, or at least a pro software player with this function, besides the free ones we all use at home

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-11-2016 02:28 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The most stable option would be a broadcast videotape format. HDCAM, HDCAM SR, and D5 are all good choices. This is really the right way to go if you don't want to do D-cinema. You don't want to see the price of the decks, however.

I don't like using actual computers for cinema playback. If something goes wrong, you can potentially end up showing the computer output on screen, which strikes me as terribly unprofessional. If you are going to do this, get something with an SDI output, so that the only signal being fed to the projector is actual video content, and there is no risk of showing error messages to the audience. Also, SDI lets you play back embedded audio in whatever channel configuration is provided to you. Otherwise, you need a high-end sound card wired in such a way to connect it to your cinema processor if you want discrete multichannel sound.

For hardware players, I like the AJA Ki-Pros. They only play a couple of file formats (Pro-Res 422 and DNxHD) and the requirements are very specific. If you can get your content in one of these file formats, this would be a good choice.

With all of these options, you have the issue of mixing frame rates in one program, which tends to cause glitches on screen and sometimes pops in the soundtrack. The Ki-Pro cannot (or, could not, when I last used one...maybe a firmware update has changed this) have a playlist with a mix of different frame rates.

The two primary issues that I have seen with venues that accept file formats are a) no two venues want the same formats, which means that the producer needs to make or have a lab make a different file type for each exhibition (or he will just send you what he has, regardless of your ability to play it) and b) there are no standards for submission (should the content be broadcast-legal or full-range, for example). I still have hope that DCP will make these issues moot, but it has not happened yet for all producers and venues.

Javier Plano
Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2016 02:58 PM      Profile for Javier Plano   Author's Homepage   Email Javier Plano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thank you for your reply Scott!

quote: Scott Norwood
I don't like using actual computers for cinema playback. If something goes wrong, you can potentially end up showing the computer output on screen, which strikes me as terribly unprofessional. If you are going to do this, get something with an SDI output, so that the only signal being fed to the projector is actual video content, and there is no risk of showing error messages to the audience. Also, SDI lets you play back embedded audio in whatever channel configuration is provided to you. Otherwise, you need a high-end sound card wired in such a way to connect it to your cinema processor if you want discrete multichannel sound.
this is very good advice, because it is true, the worst possible situation is having a problem and show it to the audience.

sadly, I don't have experience with SDI. are there any good external cards that output video connecting thru HDMI, USB3 or thunderbolt?

and what about software? any specific for playing video lists? any needed to route the video to the SDI output?

if I'm using a laptop, am I able to take stereo audio out from it using SDI?

thanks again, really appreciated

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-11-2016 03:23 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I like the idea of having a professional output card, they are in reality limiting choices for codecs and frame rates too much.

I hate VLC for it's cluttered interface, and it's a lot of work to configure it properly for festival use. But it's unbeatable for its functionality.

The question is: Will this festival constrain the formats to be shown during the festival, is there provision for conforming all sorts of formats? I do not advise a festival to transcode those zillions of incoming media to a common format supported by a dedicated HD-SDI output card or hardware player. It makes the projectionist's job easier, but it doesn't guarantee a proper presentation. A festival is not a mastering service.

In our location, I prefer to convert incoming content to DCP (if time allows), otherwise, show with VLC.

A Mac/Mac Book with a second monitor configured (black desktop) will not show the computer desktop on screen, even if it crashes.

What I usually prefer to do on smaller events is to configure a poster slide (e.g. the festival logo) as the desktop background for the second screen. When playing back video, that logo is invisible. When the videos finish, you always see the festival logo on the background. That's an easy way to accomplish a streamlined presentation with very little effort. Of course you can as well add slides to the video playlist giving additional information, or serving as spacers. The Mac will play up to 8ch of audio, either stereo or up to 7.1, through it's HDMI or display-port/HDMI output.

- Carsten

Javier Plano
Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2016 04:24 PM      Profile for Javier Plano   Author's Homepage   Email Javier Plano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks for the reply Carsten. converting everything ourselves is not an option

we are thinking on asking just one or two file formats (apple pro res), and if it is impossible for someone (for whatever reason), allowing something more standard, like a HQ H.264 file (letting them know that we think is an inferior format for screening their work on a theater)

quote: Carsten Kurz
I hate VLC for it's cluttered interface, and it's a lot of work to configure it properly for festival use. But it's unbeatable for its functionality.
sometimes I note that the video playback and image quality of mac files (pro res and the like) is better on mac players than on VLC. but I don't know if it's only because of the configuration of those softwares is already tweeked to look good, and that something has to be made on VLC to match it

Marlon Martins
Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2016 04:56 PM      Profile for Marlon Martins   Email Marlon Martins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
VLC can be set show images indefinitely, so i use them as a "holder" on the playlist. (if changing manually)

movie1
movie2
movie3...

and i can change, reorder, add stuff while playing, so really flexible...

about "not liking the idea of a PC", i understand that, but i also disagree. get a decent computer, remove/disable anything you won't need or would cause interruption, and that's it.

my mini-pc have a "clean" windows 7, im using for months, all the time, works wonderfully. Intel have some great mini-pc's, so you don't have to carry big stuff (like a full-pc), the components quality is great. a good quality laptop also works great.

also, if i recall, some cinema servers does not have pc components inside, like the doremi showvault? [Big Grin]

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-11-2016 06:17 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that if VLC is the base, it makes no real difference wether you use a PC or Mac.

But festivals will still receive a lot of different ProRes formats, and having a Mac simply is safer in order to play most of them in proper quality. Quicktime for Windows is not really a solution to that problem.

- Carsten

Javier Plano
Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2016 07:06 PM      Profile for Javier Plano   Author's Homepage   Email Javier Plano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it's hard to believe that there isn't a more professional player out there, designed for this kind of tasks [Confused]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-11-2016 07:27 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is - Playback Pro - but it's quite pricey ($400 for the basic version and $700 for an enhanced version with features that you may or may not be willing to pay the extra for), and only available for MacOS, annoyingly.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 04-11-2016 07:45 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran an entire four day festival using Playback Pro several years ago without problems. I recently used it for a one hour presentation loaded with visuals, logos, sound cues, music with zero issues. VLC with a clean dedicated MAC again a lifesaver.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-11-2016 08:33 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More later, but, for now, I should also mention "Qlab" playback software, which the live stage people seem to like. I have not used it, but it seems to be standard in the stage theatre business. It is a commercial product that runs on the Mac.

As for VLC, I have never managed to get it to play back a complete playlist without some glitching between titles. Not that I have spent much time trying.

As for HDMI, it presents too many issues (HDCP, cable run length limits) to really recommend it for professional work.

Marlon Martins
Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2016 09:06 PM      Profile for Marlon Martins   Email Marlon Martins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HDCP? this is only needed if it plays copyrighted blu-ray from the computer, no? i believe everything else does not require HDCP.

did a quick test on VLC, with a few ProRes files and it played all [Wink]

David Buckley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2016 10:15 PM      Profile for David Buckley   Author's Homepage   Email David Buckley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
I should also mention "Qlab" playback software, which the live stage people seem to like.
This is for the Mac platform; the free version will do a single video stream, which for this type of application should be sufficient.

Windows folk might like to try Screen Monkey, which is free for this kind of use.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: