Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » AP20 remote controll - VNC black screen

Author Topic: AP20 remote controll - VNC black screen
Michal Matys
Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2016 01:23 PM      Profile for Michal Matys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys,

I have a question.

I need to connect remotely via VNC to our AP20, but for some reason, when I use real VNC on my win 8 it connects but shows black screen only. I had to download tightVNC and through that its working fine.

When I tried that today from my MAC, with the only VNC app i found availible, the black screen issue is still the same.

Anyone have idea what to change in preferences, what could cause this issue?

Thanks for all answers.

Michal

|  IP: Logged

Jay Wyatt
Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2016 01:32 PM      Profile for Jay Wyatt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps the unit is in the display 'sleep' mode. I'm not sure if VNC client also shows a black screen when the unit sleeps but that could be it. Hit some arrow keys or manually touch the touch screen to make sure its active.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-05-2016 01:50 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
VNC has loads of different options for screen content transmission, aimed at line load/compression.

The only option on the AP20 side is 'Hex Tile encoding' in 'Access Control'. If that doesn't make it work, you have to try different VNC clients and client settings.

I always found one that works.

Also, keep your AP20 on current software.

- Carsten

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-05-2016 06:20 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Carsten says, the AP20's built-in VNC server won't work with some VNC clients. I tried two or three before finding one that worked OK, namely Tight VNC.

Mattias Mattsson
Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2016 04:10 PM      Profile for Mattias Mattsson   Email Mattias Mattsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the problem is that the AP20 does not handle the part of the VNC protocol that lower the image quality if the connection is slow.

For example, if using RealVNC you have to configure it with "Picture Quality" set to high.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-06-2016 04:33 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That makes sense. Whenever our network connection goes slow (usually if the DCP server is pulling a DCP from our NAS box) while I have an AP20 VNC window open on the operating laptop, the display will freeze for a few seconds, and then Tight VNC will say "Connection lost - go f*** yourself" (not a verbatim quote, but you get the idea).

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 04-06-2016 04:39 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It works for me with RealVNC Viewer and if I disable the Adapt to Network Speed option and the Encryption set to "Prefer off".

Maybe Datasat could spend some time on fixing their VNC server in a future release as it is indeed quite a buggy thing. I guess they disabled some of the features as not to impact the CPU beyond breaking point during playback. So if it isn't possible because of this, at least give us a sheet with supported clients and configuration options.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 04-06-2016 05:01 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use UltraVNC and it's always worked for me but the AP20 won't like two connections simultaneously - the viewers will keep disconnecting if two computers are connecting at the same time.

Alan Gilbertson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2016 07:03 PM      Profile for Alan Gilbertson   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gilbertson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ive had the same problem and the problem is the version of VNC. I believe i found the color setting in VNC and it needs to be set to full i cant remember what the default is but once i went to full all was ok. Or see if you can find version 4.5.1

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: