Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » making CP650 Analog Cable

Author Topic: making CP650 Analog Cable
Garrett Oliver
Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2016 07:12 PM      Profile for Garrett Oliver   Email Garrett Oliver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I need to make some 25pin Analog out cables for our CP650 and I know that each wire needs to be ground to the chassis. Does anyone happen to have a picture of a completed 25 housing? I want to make sure that what I am thinking is the correct way.

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 03-30-2016 06:00 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, no picture. The wiring is simple: doing it so it fits in a shell and looks decent isn't so easy.
If you use individual shielded pair cables for the signals (advisable) then connect the shields to ground at the amplifier end, drop them at the processor end. This avoids shield current and makes termination a bit easier. For cinemas the processor is usually in the same metal rack as the amps so using the recommended toothed lockwashers to ground each unit will avoid any ground potential differences. Otherwise a stout wire should connect their chassis together.
Beware of the EX oddness with the 650: with an EX card installed the surround outputs come from the "Option Card I/O" connector, there's no usable signal on the main output connector surround pins. Connections get more odd if you use the internal crossover card.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 03-30-2016 11:30 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave describes it pretty well esp. the EX connector.

Odyssey Products in GA makes all sorts of adaptors to make this all easier. I would give them a call,

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-30-2016 12:38 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For whatever it's worth, I have used Gepco GA61806GFC (6 pair) or GA61808GFC (8 pair) cable for this sort of thing (there are individual shielded pairs within the cable). This is intended for making audio "snakes," but works well for this application. For connectors, I have used Amphenol L717DB25P or L77DB25S with 17E-1657-25 hoods. It is somewhat difficult to find DB25 hoods that will accommodate large-diameter cables, and the 17E-1657-25 is the only one that I have found that will. All of these parts are available from Digi-Key and probably elsewhere.

The annoying thing about the CP650 output (aside from the connector change when the EX card is used) is that there is no separate "monitor" output connector, so you need to figure out a way to "Y" the output somewhere, preferably without unbalancing the signal or putting the monitor itself in the signal path (unless you are also using it as a crossover or have some other reason for intentionally putting it in the signal path).

I have always connected the signal grounds at both ends and have not had any issues, but I realize that this is not necessarily advisable in all (any?) cases.

The Odyssey boards are a good idea, especially if you want to make use of the AES input on the option I/O connector. They give you both DB25s and screw terminals, which makes connecting both a monitor and amplifiers easy.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-30-2016 02:25 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always used Belden 1510C or 1410R (depending on 5.1 or EX) and Amp brand Dsubs (crimp connections). Still do on CP750s.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: