Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Preferred Screen makes and models

Author Topic: Preferred Screen makes and models
Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-26-2016 06:36 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious what makes and models of screens everything likes to use AND WHY.

In the USA, MDI, Harkness and Severtson are the most popular makes for cinemas. For high end/screening rooms, Stewart.

My personal favorite for flat screens (or very shallow curved) is Stewart's Ultramatte 130. It is a 1.3 gain screen that has the maximum gain and still meet SMPTE/DCI specs for distribution of light. It is seamless. It's perf pattern breaks up Moiré. It's gain is as published (and can be specified to whatever gain you desire). Images just pop on it like no other I've seen.

My second favorite is the Stewart Snomatte 100...as its name would imply, it is a 1.0 gain matte-white screen and is about as uniform a distribution as I've ever seen.

I've seen some screens as of late that had me scratching my head as to why they were chosen so I figured I'd ask the forum what they like and why.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-28-2016 10:51 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For 3d we used Severtson for our 2d we use MDI or Lesna

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-28-2016 11:38 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What scale of price difference per sqft/sqm do you see between e.g. similar Harkness, MDI, Stewart and Severtson screens? I assume Stewart is the most expensive, so, usually out of the question for larger cinema screens?

- Carsten

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-28-2016 02:05 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah...Stewart is crazy high...4-5 times as much as a North American sourced MDI, Severtson or Harkness...which all seem to be close enough to each other.

Gord...which models of screens AND WHY?

Jason Metcalfe
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2016 08:06 PM      Profile for Jason Metcalfe   Email Jason Metcalfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bit of a tangent, but have you ever had issues with screens showing up that have a very uneven/splotchy coating? Specifically MDI Northview

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-29-2016 06:03 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not seen that from MDI, personally. I have seen uneven coatings from Harkenss (tiger striped and on a silver screen where it almost looked like their paint gun ran out it was so uneven on.a silver screen). Silver screens are generally everyone's worst screen...they are just awful for showing movies and near impossible to not show up every flaw.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 03-29-2016 06:18 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are also using MDI or Lesna for 2D, various for 3D.
Why?
Stewart are crazy expensive. For a screening room - and a client with high standards and matching budget - Stewart screens are unbeatable for image particularly in a small room where seams are hard to hide. No normal cinema I know of is willing to pay for a Stewart screen.
Lesna and MDI/Strong screens are made in Canada so shipping is less grief for us.
We will probably try a Severtson "foldable" 3D screen-in-a-box to see how it looks... dealing with large rolled screens is a PITA.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-29-2016 12:52 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Northview 1.8 for most screens

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-29-2016 01:43 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dave Macaulay was the last to post
Why?
We don't normally put in screens but do specify them. As I see what people have put in and how they have performed, I've been curious as to WHY they chose a particular company/surface. Was it cost, or did they like its look.

For instance, Gord just mentioned that he normally uses a Northview 1.8. Okay...so we are talking about a gainy screen with a hotspot (if it is flat and a band of light if curved)...why all of the 1.8 gain screens? Please don't say so you can use less lamp power because that doesn't work. Teh 14fL spec only applies if you are at 10.5 in the corners (or at least sides) and a 1.8 flat screen just won't do it. Anything over 1.3 won't do it. So if you are at 14fL in the center your overall image brightness is going to be just over half as bright as a matte-white screen running at 14fL in the center. Even a 1.3 gain screen is down to about 75% of a matte-white screen with 14fL.

I have not tried or seen the results of a foldable silver screen from Severtson though I'd be curious.

I don't know if I've seen a Lesna screen but I've seen their frames.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: