Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Barco dp2k-6E

Author Topic: Barco dp2k-6E
Dave Patterson
Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2016 06:02 PM      Profile for Dave Patterson   Email Dave Patterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone have the new Barco d2k-6E up and running?
Thoughts and impressions?
Considering 6E and the NC 900..
Thank you in advance!

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-17-2016 07:30 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We bought one in January, we were sold on an NC900 before, but put it on hold when we heard about the Barco, as we wanted more light than the NEC supplies.
Nice machine, the ICMP is quite a beefy server. Too beefy for such a tiny projector, I'd say. ;-)

There are differences between the two, and under certain conditions, I would opt for the NEC. But for what we need, the Barco was the best solution. At least over here, it is way cheaper than the NEC.

http://www.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=16;t=002547#000000

- Carsten

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2016 07:54 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One consideration is the Barco comes only with their Alchemy board. No legacy board or third party IMB/IMS will work. With the NEC 900 you can have a legacy board or use a 3rd party IMS/IMB. The NEC legacy board has 4 HDSDI input as well as two DVI.

Mattias Mattsson
Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2016 09:15 PM      Profile for Mattias Mattsson   Email Mattias Mattsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Stephan Shelley
One consideration is the Barco comes only with their Alchemy board. No legacy board or third party IMB/IMS will work. With the NEC 900 you can have a legacy board or use a 3rd party IMS/IMB. The NEC legacy board has 4 HDSDI input as well as two DVI.
I don't think this is correct. The service manual for the 6E indicates that it could be fitted with either a Barco ICMP or ICP + HDSDI/Enigma Boards.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-18-2016 07:51 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is true, but, at least for the 6E, it makes little sense to choose a different connectivity than the ICMP. When you buy the 6E, you want the ICMP for the savings AND because you get a very powerful IMS for a very small price. It only makes sense to consider the 6E WITH the ICMP. If you really want a different board set, the 8Sx or 10Sx would probably be the better choice. Or the NC900C.

- Carsten

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-18-2016 08:34 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are a brand XYZ company but the 6E is the right sized projector, I could definitely see wanting to keep the server types standard within a complex or chain.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: