Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Best TMS (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Best TMS
Annli Com
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2016 12:12 AM      Profile for Annli Com   Author's Homepage   Email Annli Com   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear All
Formelly We are Using Screnn Writer TMS
Curently Change To GDC2000 TMS
But My Opinions Cureent Vesion GDC Not Suitable For Doremi Server And No Compare To Screen Writer.
GDC WorkinG like A Scheduliing Softwares(Not Include Auto Assining) And No More Fetures Compare To Screen Writer .
What is Your Opinions .

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-15-2016 01:44 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are using the Cine-Digital linux software and are very happy with it and the support from Cine-Digital

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 03-15-2016 02:46 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't use a brand specific TMS system if you have a mix of server brands. I assume you do have some GDC servers, otherwise why would you get their TMS? This TMS is not compatible with non-GDC servers from what I can find out.
There are several TMS systems that work with most (all?) servers. The Arts Alliance "Screenwriter" TMS is one of them... why did you change?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-15-2016 04:43 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GDC seems to have bent over backwards trying to be compatible with as many serves as possible. I do not know if it works with the Doremi stuff though...it hasn't come up. I know some sites with only Christie IMB S2 servers and GDC TMS because they have GDC at other sites and it is a familiar interface for them.

Oddly enough, I am comfortable with the Hollywood Software (Cinedigm) TCC and don't have much trouble with it. It is for people that want an automatic system though.

There is always the Film-Tech DCS if you want fully automatic with any server of your choosing. They definitely support Doremi...though I don't know if they do international work.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-15-2016 05:22 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have built 47 GDC TMS systems and I really like the incremental upgrades they have done to it over the last several years. Its very self intuitive to use unlike some other systems out there that are not. Cost vs performance it's also the best deal at $500 per screen and a small support fee every two years. How good of a system you have built up or what you decide to build up your self is all up to you but I put together first rate systems using refurbished Dell servers many of which are over 5 years old now and nary a problem. And the systems cost 1/6th of what a Strong TMS would cost. You can go cheap as some have or spend how ever much $$ you want to on it.

Mark

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-15-2016 07:16 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What the GDC TMS really lacks is the ability for reasonably automatic POS integration...the overall feel is "manualmation" in that there is a fair amount of user involvement with it.

I'd argue that the TMS4 UI is less intuitive than the previous version...putting buttons at the bottom but also requiring one to still use the menus for day-to-day stuff is odd. I've heard it said by several customers that they would prefer the tabs of yore to the buttons at the bottom. The "create" "manage" thing also seems like it needs improvement. GDC IS improving it version by version. We'll see where it goes. Yes, it does run on most any Win 7 machine.

Annli Com
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2016 06:36 AM      Profile for Annli Com   Author's Homepage   Email Annli Com   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cos Off GDC
1 DOREMI BLACK NOT SUPPORTED
2 APP BASED NOT WEB GUI ( DAILY 2 OR MORE TIME CRASH THE APP)
3 POS NOT WEEK WISE
4 PLAY TIME SERVER CONTENT NOT TRANSFERABLE
5 NO 3D,2D ATRIBUTION
6 NOT LOOK GOOD GRAPHIC INTERFACE (LOOK LIKE OLD BLACK AND WHITE MOVIE)
7 WRONG MASSAGE SHOWING ( SPL,KDM MISSING ETC)
8 OVERLAPPED MOVIE NOT SCHEDULED ( MANUALLY PLAY AT SERVER)
9 NO AUTO ASSIGHN
10 MORE CHANCE TO WRONG MOVIE PLAY
11 NO TIME AND DATE WISE PLAY LIST CREATIONS
But My Expireince Screen Writer A compleet TMS With LMS Software.

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-16-2016 07:57 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What version are you running? I believe the release notes show that 4.1.6002 added the ability to handle "programmable black" which I think is in reference to Doremi's black. 4.1.6010 is current release.

There is no question, the GDC TMS is not a fully automatic TMS nor does it cost the same as one. I have not used Arts Alliance (yet) but I've heard good things about it. I wouldn't think the two would be a fair comparison as the cost and feature set are so different, at this time.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-16-2016 09:35 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Annli,
You are either running an old version or you have a woefully inadequate computer/server. There were one or two versions that would occasionally crash but that issue no longer happens. Since it is an app it requires quite a hit of CPU horse power and it also seems to work best under a 64 bit OS. The servers I use are dual quad core at least 3 ghz and 16 gb of ram. Others have used less but I have been at sites that are moving content between up to six screens at once in minimal time and with no issues.

Mark

Annli Com
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2016 10:23 AM      Profile for Annli Com   Author's Homepage   Email Annli Com   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Sir
We Are Using HP Dual PROCESSOR Server Centre with 16 GB Ram in Windows Server 2012 64bit System.
And using Latest version 4.1 include alternate content black but not supported.Doremi log report not retrive The GDC. I Think The GDC TMS Current Version Make for GDC Servers Only. Curently I Recive a massage from GDC New Fully Automated All Server Supported Version Coming next 2 months , I am waiting !

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-16-2016 11:47 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only other server GDC for sure supports is Dolby. That absolutely works but with the demise of the Dolby gear GDC is going to have to support Doremi fa see dah rae me do no questions asked. They will also be previewing a new IMB at Cinema Con next month.

Also, all my TMS systems are based on older Dell 2950 (version 3) servers running dual 3.0 ghz quad cores and 16 gb of ram. No fancy Windows server OS though, that is totally NOT NEEDED! You are NOT doing shares and such as you would be in a large server system, just running an app. Mine are just running under Windows 7-64 bit. No problems at all with it once GDC debugged the reason for the program crashing... The latest versions are rock stable.

Mark

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-16-2016 04:28 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The current version absolutely works with other servers. The Dolby DSS line, Christie IMB S2, and even the new Barco ICMP are supported (4.1.6002).

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 12-20-2018 01:49 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1008 days since the last post.

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-20-2018 01:49 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kicking this one back to the top.

We're looking for TMSes now. Must be brand agnostic on the server side as we may be using GDC, Dolby(Doremi), Barco servers.

I need something for the small plex 2-5 screens as well as the medium plexes in the 8-12 screen range.

Presume the smaller plexes don't need as many of the automatic amenities as the bigger plexes do. In fact, I could see my smaller (often "art") plexes wanting a bit of hands-on for some shows.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-20-2018 08:26 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Curently I Recive a massage from GDC New Fully Automated All Server Supported Version Coming next 2 months , I am waiting !
No one should be running 4.1 versions any more, sheesh!. The 4.3 version is about a year old now. I have almost all my sites running 4.3.XXX The very latest available is 4.3.1092.11121308. And I just installed this today for testing at a theater that's run by a very capable manager. One thing I have noticed as the GDC TMS grew and matured was that it required more cpu horse power to run it. There were a couple Dell 2950's that had a single quad core Xeon cpu and 8 gigs of ram, and that's barely enough to run even the 4.2 versions. Dual quad core Xeon servers and 8 gigs runs it much more efficiently. GDC TMS is CPU intensive. not ram intensive. I have replaced two of the older servers so far with R-720 12 core servers and they run it really nicely, and those servers in like new condition can be had extremely inexpensively.

As for servers covered... All GDC including the new servers are there, as is Dolby, but I did not see any Doremi. I'll be updating another one after Xmas, so I will take a screen shot of whats in the list.

The plus of having GDC TMS is having GDC support just an email or phone call away if you are non technical. They can remote in to look at any problems you may be having.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: