Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » cinema screen size to small? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: cinema screen size to small?
Mike Moreno
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2016 07:48 PM      Profile for Mike Moreno   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Moreno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi guys.

Here at the cinema the boss want to build 3 new auditoriums and they ask me about the screen zise they planed to install but i am not sure if what they are planning. they propose
20.99 width to 11.31 high in a room with 40 seats and a trhow distance of 47.57 "
I never seen a screen that size. Do you think is to small?

thanks for your help

mike Moreno
mexico

|  IP: Logged

Jay Wyatt
Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2016 07:54 PM      Profile for Jay Wyatt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike what units are we talking? Meters, feet, or furlongs?

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2016 08:17 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever the units that works for a fixed width screen. It would use the full screen for 1:85 and scope would be 8.8 x 21. Make sure there is a lens for the projector you want to use that will do it with that short throw.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 03-05-2016 12:22 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My theatre has a screen that's 20 feet wide and just under 8.5 feet high to make a perfect scope-size screen. Scope movies fill the screen exactly, top to bottom and edge to edge. Flat movies fill the screen top to bottom, but leave a foot or so of empty space on each side.

I have 153 seats and the throw is about 60 feet. The building is about 24 feet wide from wall to wall.

This is what it looks like:

-

-

I use a Christie 2210 projector and have a "spreader" lens that drives itself into place when I play a scope movie.

The picture is beautiful, really. And 153 seats is a dandy size for this location since it's big enough that it rarely sells out but it's small enough that if there are ten people here it looks like there's someone here, and it doesn't cost a fortune for heat and air conditioning.

So a smaller room like this can work very nicely as a theatre. My humble opinion, anyway.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 03-05-2016 07:35 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is a small room, but not every feature will fill a 250+ seat house. As long as there's a lens that works (that's not an unusual throw ratio) it seems good to me.
The multiplex idea was to allow a variety of movies, they always have a range of room/screen sizes.
What's the owner's reason for building a cinema this size?

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2016 08:55 AM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is an actual US cinema auditorium that does a fair amount of business. Will it be any smaller that this?

-

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 03-06-2016 04:11 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the measurements you posted are in feet, then I don't see why there would be any problems with the screen size and throw distance. There are plenty of rooms out there smaller and with shorter throw distances, especially in venues like repertory or arthouse cinemas.

The only problem with a low room like this, is doing stadium seating, if that was actually planned in the first place.

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2016 06:46 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That screen in Ogden's post looks as big as the proposed new Samsung Galaxy phone.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 03-06-2016 09:36 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original Cineplex Eaton Centre and the Cineplex Carleton had some rooms like that. I saw a few films in them, it's not the same as a "big cinema" but not too bad.

Geoff Jones
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2016 10:23 PM      Profile for Geoff Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Geoff Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry, but if I walked in and saw a screen that size, I would turn around and get my money back. It looks smaller than what I have in my basement.

It also makes me sad to see those center aisles.

Mike Moreno
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2016 07:55 PM      Profile for Mike Moreno   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Moreno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes guys is on feets.
Thanks a lot for your ansewrs. i have more to talk and show to my boss.

best regards

Mike moreno
mexico

Derek Martin
Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2016 09:35 AM      Profile for Derek Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Derek Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From a book of architectural guidelines, "the maximum distance between the screen and the most distant viewer (MDV)should not exceed 8 times the height of the screen image. An MDV 2 to 3 times the screen width is preferred."

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-09-2016 02:46 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Worked in a 6 plex where we had one house with a 9x18 ft screen. Throw was 50 ft. Also had "shotgun" seating as with the image above.

When it was film, flat looked horrible since they wanted full screen for flat, thus a 2.00:1 flat aperture was used.
Talk about some serious cropping in the image.
They knew nothing about presentation quality.

Digital came in, with a NEC 900C, and made flat look better.

-Monte

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2016 12:14 AM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Ogden
Here is an actual US cinema auditorium that does a fair amount of business. Will it be any smaller that this?

I agree with Geoff on this. If I paid money and walked into that screen, I'd also turn around and get my money back. I've done that with theaters/screens a lot larger than that even before I had a big-screen TV at home. The first time I went to the Cinema 3rd Avenue when they stuck a third screen in unused space behind the 1st screen (originally 165 seats, now 48 lounge seats) , I turned around and got my money back.

Any business has to differentiate to survive. I don't see how a theater like the one in the pic survives. With consumers purchasing ever larger screens at home and with shorter and shorter theatrical windows, about the only thing a theater like that offers is "a night out with other people."

I think for theaters to survive, they have to offer a "big screen" and "big sound" experience and/or they have to offer atmosphere. IMO, a screen should fill my field of view. Aside from the blockbusters where the potential audience feels they must see a film on day of release, people don't need much of a reason to stay home.

NYC might not be typical since real estate is so expensive here, but since 2001, we've lost 18% of the screen count and 32% of the theaters in spite of some new builds. And since mid-2012, we've lost 15% of the seats, although some of that is due to lounge seating.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2016 06:00 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Ogden
Here is an actual US cinema auditorium that does a fair amount of business.
Did they not need the janitor's closet and turn it into an auditorium?

Who would pay money to watch anything in there? It looks like something made for a cheap kids sitcom set like Saved By The Bell or something like that.

They could advertise an "IMAX Sized Screen." When they get complaints they can clarify that it is the size of an IMAX film frame.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: