Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Issues with Win10?? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Issues with Win10??
Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 03-04-2016 03:21 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are there any serious problems using Win10 and the typical cinema tech applications - Dolby processor software, Barco Communicator/Commander, NEC DCC/DCCS, TI S1 and S2 software, QSC DCM control software, USB-serial dongles, etc... I have some clues for installing unsigned drivers and expect some grief there, but has anyone run into any insurmountable issues with Windows 10??

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-04-2016 03:29 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby Show Manager and NEC DCC (both S1 and S2) work for me under Windows 10 without any problems.

Leslie Hartmier
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2016 03:47 PM      Profile for Leslie Hartmier   Email Leslie Hartmier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've had no trouble using any Dolby processor software, Barco Communicator, NEC DCC/DCCS, our VNC software, or any USB to Serial dongles with Windows 10.

I cannot speak for the TI S1 and S2 software, QSC DCM control software, or the multiplexer software, as I have not had cause to use them on Windows 10 as yet, although I did hear that the multiplexer driver is not supported in Windows 10.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-05-2016 03:45 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everything seems to work, the only reason why I am not using W10 on my business computer right now is the forced upgrades.

The other day I turned on a laptop which had been turned off for a while and Windows performed the TH2 update. Result: computer unusable for 2 hours. This is unacceptable, MS should at least warn the customer. Had I been in a critical situation where my laptop was really needed I would have lost some money.

Until W10 does not allow the user to at least run the updates when they want, I will stay with Windows 7/8.

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2016 10:17 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marco Giustini
Until W10 does not allow the user to at least run the updates when they want, I will stay with Windows 7/8.

Doesn't the "professional" version let you manage the updates?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-05-2016 11:39 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GDC reports that their current TMS program will run fine under Windows 10 but that they do not yet support it. Coming soon.

Mark

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-05-2016 12:34 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lyle,
Last time I checked you can "delay" the updates but apparently Windows will update regardless if you delay them too much.

Not sure if they changed this recently?

John Roddy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2016 01:30 PM      Profile for John Roddy   Author's Homepage   Email John Roddy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I've seen, Win10 will download and install updates whenever it feels like it, and there's nothing you can really do about it. But it does all of that in the background, so it shouldn't affect anything you're doing. Installation of some heavy software may use up a significant amount of resources, but I can't imagine it being noticeable unless you're already pushing the limits of your hardware with several office programs open at once or anything like that. If it needs to restart the computer for any reason, it'll schedule that automatically for a time when it sees the computer isn't in use. You can manually override it if you head into the update settings screen and change it to the time you want. Of course, it won't actually give a notification when it's scheduled for that, so you'll also have to preemptively check on your own…

Yeah, updates suck. Then again, they were awful on 7 too. About equally as awful on 8 & 8.1, just for different reasons. It'd be nice if it were all linux-style. Just "apt-get update" and "apt-get upgrade" once a week or so, and you're done.

As for compatibility, I haven't noticed anything yet. Well, nothing that wasn't a problem with 7/8/8.1/not-XP, at least. Some USB-to-serial cables have been really mean to me, but what else is new?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-05-2016 01:44 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know the auto updates affected the connectability of a server I have here at home and it has also affected at least one commercial ticketing system. After the updates some of the local services do not automatically restart. Manually restarting them or setting them to delayed start (once you figure out which ones are being affected) fixes it.

Mark

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 03-05-2016 03:38 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how many in this forum use Daktronics LED signs on marquees, box office windows, auditorium entries, etc. Their Venus 1500 control software will not work under Windows 10. It relies a bunch on 2008 versions of NET Framework and SQL Server.

The company is moving towards a cloud/web based application. Even there they have some catch-up work to do. Daktronics' web-based billboard software currently relies on Silverlight, which is a "deprecated" plug-in. Microsoft is not developing it any further, much less even supporting it.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-05-2016 05:17 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Roddy
But it does all of that in the background, so it shouldn't affect anything you're doing. Installation of some heavy software may use up a significant amount of resources, but I can't imagine it being noticeable
Two actual scenarios:

- Laptop was not behaving, I had to reboot it. Windows installed TH2 version, laptop offline for 90 minutes (new but slow laptop)

- Working in a hotel with slow broadband. Computer fans speeding up and internet even slower than it should be. In the meantime I try to work. 45 minutes later the fan slows down and the PC asks me if I want to reboot to install upgrades!

No, my computer installs upgrades when I tell it so! On Windows 7 you can be just notified - or you can disable them altogether. I do exactly what you suggest, I run Windows update every now and then, at the weekend, when I'm home, plenty of time and fast broadband.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 03-05-2016 05:28 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One things you can do to delay auto updates is set your WiFi connection as a metered connection.

Although I have not used it extensively for service issues, I have not yet had any problems using VNC, DCC, Dolby CP750 Utility, or the TI program.

The most frustrating issue I've run into with Windows 10 is getting a WiFi network set to a trusted network. If it sets it as a public network, it can be difficult to get it to change to a work or home.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 03-06-2016 02:00 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There were some serious wireless problems with Windows 10. If you're on a network using Enterprise authentication using WPA2, it's still broken in many cases, because they stripped some ciphers from the authentication protocol.

The automatic updates in Windows 10 are the foremost reason I'm still not using it on most of my production machines. Getting stuck with a machine that decided to install some hours worth of updates (which sometimes also fail or even get stuck in a reboot loop) at will just isn't acceptable.

The most reliable way to disable automatic updates I've found until now is this one:

1. Start regedit (Windows key + R -> type "regedit" -> Run).
2. Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU.
3. Create a new "32-bit DWORD" called "AuOptions" and put a value of 2 in "Value Data" and then click "OK".
3. Start the Settings app (Windows key + I).
4. Go to Update and Security -> Windows Updates. Enable the "Check for updates" option.

Disclaimer: Editing registry settings is considered "advanced stuff". No warranties and I'm not sure if this sticks forever, but until now it has worked. You can now just manually check for updates and plan for downtime instead of letting Microsoft decide for you. If your computer is part of a domain, the preferred way of doing this is via a GPO setting.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-06-2016 10:14 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Instead of messing with editing the regestry which very few seem capable of, why not go into component services and just stop the service?

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-06-2016 10:35 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because services can start up on the next boot cycle. Changing the registry kills the problem for good or until that registry is altered to undo what was done. It is possible to create a txt file with the registry modifications but save it with a ".reg" extension and merely double-clicking that file will do the registry modification. I did that for the stupid Win10 nagger (that is, how I modded all of mine...I didn't actually write the script since I'm not that into Windows registries). On all such computers that have had the Win10 nagger (GWX)...none have reported ever seeing it again.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: