Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » NEC iS8-2K - "Error - cover open"

Author Topic: NEC iS8-2K - "Error - cover open"
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-01-2016 08:46 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After removing and replacing the lampholder, I got "Error - cover open" on the LCD panel after replacing it. I've double checked that the cover is properly in place and that the microswitch is closed (I heard it click as I tightened the screw).

Pressing the cancel button makes the message go away and the display say "Standby," but it still won't let me turn the projector on, and the status LED continues to flash red.

Any ideas as to how to clear this error? Do you have to do something silly, like hold a button down for 10 seconds and then enter the service code? The service manual (page 79 of the PDF) simply says that the solution is to close the cover, and doesn't mention anything like this.

Many thanks in advance.

EDIT / UPDATE - dust/crud in the microswitch. Blasted the hell out of it with a compressed air spray and the projector started.

|  IP: Logged

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2016 11:13 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to suggest that you double check the door switch, since
I've had a similar experience with an NEC, but I just couldn't imagine
YOU, of all people, having "crud" in any of your projectors. But it looks
like some somehow got in there, you found it, & all is OK now

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-01-2016 11:19 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was the problem, sorta. One of the reasons I'd opened it was to have a good vacuum / cleanout, and also check out what state the air filters were in. Doing that must have dislodged crud, that landed in the hinge of the microswitch.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2016 06:06 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Might think about replacing that micro switch. Older NECs have a habit of them going bad.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 03-02-2016 06:44 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Instead of replacing the switch, could you just permanently short across it, removing one proven source of failure? Or would somehow cause bad things to happen?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 03-03-2016 01:17 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That thought crossed my mind, but the little PCB with the microswitch on it has one or two other components as well, which makes me worry that trying to short the switch might activate some sort of tamper alarm. I've had enough nightmares trying to reset accidentally triggered tamper alarm errors on our other two NECs to be very anxious not to go there with this one.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: