Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Zootropolis format

Author Topic: Zootropolis format
Michal Matys
Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2016 08:36 AM      Profile for Michal Matys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys,

I have a question about new release which is comming next week - Zootropolis format.

The movie is named as scope, but it looks more like smaller scope letterboxed into normal scope. I believe studios does that because they want some make 3D effect better by making it sometimes go out of the picture, but my question is what do you do with it?
I have been told some sites just zoom in the picture and creates 3rd format, but I dont think it should be like that since the studio did not want it, but on halls where you have huge keystone issue it doesnt look good at all.

Please let me know how you handle those things.

Thanks
Michal

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-28-2016 09:32 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's Disney, it's 3D, so it has floating windows. These features come with framing guides to help you with the setup of your screen. You should not mask out the side bars if you show it in 3D.

https://digitalcinema.disney.com/dc3dFloatWinMov.aspx

- Carsten

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-28-2016 11:32 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's also "Zootopia," not Zootropolis.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2016 11:43 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
It's also "Zootopia," not Zootropolis.

Actually, Mike, at the risk of nit-picking, I've seen it referred
to both ways. The North American and European versions are
apparently titled differently. Perhaps there's some obscure
trademark or copyright kerfuffle between the continents.

Michal Matys
Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2016 11:58 AM      Profile for Michal Matys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Zootopia, sorry just didnt realise its probably local "translation".

I have managed to find one cinema which actually still have the hdd and have the framing chart there. Although I dont like making new format just because of one movie, I will see what I can do tommorow morning.

Thank Carsten for the explnation

Michal

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 02-28-2016 05:04 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at the posters on IMP Awards, it looks like it is called by at least 4 different titles: Zootopia, Zootropolis, Zoomania, Zootopie (this is probably a translation rather than an alternate).

Zootopia on IMPAwards.com

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 02-29-2016 12:33 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You don't need a special framing chart. It's in scope and uses a floating window, like many animated Disney/Pixar 3D features do.

And yes, it's called Zootopia in de US and Zootropolis over here, even the English version is called that way. For whatever reason, Disney often localizes their titles. Maybe Disney believes we don't know about Utopia but we know all about metropolises...

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-29-2016 03:41 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Justin Hamaker
it looks like it is called by at least 4 different titles: Zootopia, Zootropolis, Zoomania, Zootopie (this is probably a translation rather than an alternate).
I never thought about the language differences. Maybe the suffix "topia" means some off-putting thing in some places.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 02-29-2016 04:33 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The UK release also seems to be under the Zootropolis name.

The suffix "topia" doesn't sound more or less off-putting than "tropolis" to me.

According to this IMDB FAQ, the different names might actually have something to do with a potential trademark problem for the name "Zootopia".

Manny Montes
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-29-2016 10:56 PM      Profile for Manny Montes   Email Manny Montes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
to check the framing just use the chart that came on the drive, but it is standard scope. If you try and reframe to get it "full" instead of leaving the floating windows your presentation will suffer

Chris Haller
Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2016 10:07 AM      Profile for Chris Haller   Email Chris Haller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When it does this floating window process, is it noticeable?

I don't think I've been out to see a Disney animated feature in 3D since they released Beauty and the Beast in 3D, and I don't remember noticing any of this phenomenon. It sounds fascinating.

Manny Montes
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2016 11:30 AM      Profile for Manny Montes   Email Manny Montes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It isn't noticeable with your 3D glasses on because each image is slightly offset, however without the glasses you can tell it's occurring, here's a video direct from disney demonstrating it, it's campy and old but still gets the point across
https://digitalcinema.disney.com/dc3dFloatWinMov.aspx

If you want a more technical read there is a whitepaper here:
https://michaelscroggins.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/bgardner_dynamicfloatingwdws_whitepaper.pdf

it's long and detailed but breaks down with the TL;DR conclusion below:
quote:

While digital cinema projection has improved image alignment during stereoscopic 3-D exhibition, it has not solved any
artifacts in stereoscopic 3-D production. Production has suffered from three major problems: stereo window violation,
retinal rivalry at the image edges, and insufficient depth range. Additionally, the stereo window has been a visual
element in every 3-D film, and even in many other 3-D media, but previously unavailable for creative or 3-D
storytelling[7] purposes by the Director or Stereographer during content production. The articulated Dynamic Floating
Window invention [3] successfully addresses all of these problems.
Even when there are no stereoscopic artifacts to be cured, the Dynamic Floating Window may be used to intensify the
audience’s emotional involvement in the scene, under directorial control. This takes the technique beyond just curing
stereoscopic artifacts, and opens up the technical achievement to enable a wide range of cinematic, spatial, creative, and
artistic uses. These previously had no corresponding opportunities. The Dynamic Floating Window invention has
introduced and opened up a new semantic element in the new spatial grammar of movies, which had previously not
existed in any form, adding three dimensional manipulation of a controllable, directable, articulated stereo window to the
Spatial Language of Movies

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: