Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » NEC 2500C vs. Barco DP-100

Author Topic: NEC 2500C vs. Barco DP-100
Brian DeCiancio
Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2016 06:06 PM      Profile for Brian DeCiancio   Author's Homepage   Email Brian DeCiancio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone tell me which of these two Series 1 units produce a better picture and puts more ACTUAL light on the screen using a 6k bulb?

I've read the specs on both, but am interested in real-world experience.

Would you choose one over the other if you have them both in your possession?

I need opinions on these two models only.

Thanks in advance.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-22-2016 08:42 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might really be more concerned about which one you can still get all the parts for and which one you can't.

Mark

Brian DeCiancio
Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2016 10:03 PM      Profile for Brian DeCiancio   Author's Homepage   Email Brian DeCiancio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good point Mark.

Any opinion on that angle?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-22-2016 10:21 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many parts have been discontinued for the DP-100, not really sure on the NEC. Check with Moving Image Technologies to see what's a go and no go on the NEC. I really feel that the DP-100 is past its end of support life span at this point in time, but there are still quite a few of them out there. I have one customer that has six of them and he buys up other DP-100 just for the parts... There are still a lot of NC-2500's here in Utah. NC-2500's are rats nests inside, but they are extremely reliable.

One thing I will mention is you are better off with a projector that does NOT have a pressurized cooling system as is in the early Barco's.

Mark

Brian DeCiancio
Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2016 01:26 AM      Profile for Brian DeCiancio   Author's Homepage   Email Brian DeCiancio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have several DP-100s now, but no experience with the 2500C. I am trying to determine if it's an "upgrade" to replace a DP-100 with a 2500C (the price is VERY right) or to cannibalize another DP-100 that I have at a different location and replace it with something more appropriately smaller.

I have a dead Barco parted out between 3 locations and have a month to get this dilemma figured out. I need something suitable for a drive-in. Again, bottom line, which provides a better image, DP-100 or NEC 2500C?

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 02-23-2016 03:10 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not sure there is an answer for your question. Out of the box I believe the 2500 and the DP100 use the same chips and those are D-Cinema projectors, picture quality is pretty consistent between all of them.

The issue is that any DP100 or 2500 will now have several thousands/tens of thousands hours on their shoulders and the optics inside will have degraded. It also depends with which lamps they've been run, in what environment and how much maintenance they've had.

Expect a drastic drop in light level with an old series 1 - at least with Barco in my experience.

I wouldn't bother replacing a DP100 with a 2500 unless the DP100 is completely dead and you had no spare parts left.

You say 6000W, I have a feeling that if you bought a brand new machine you could go with a much smaller lamp in a much smaller projector [Smile]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-23-2016 06:23 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As to the DP100 support...officially, it is gone now. That said, it share most parts with the DP-3000..which remains supported so you can still get most parts. Whereas I don't have any NC-2500s (and no more DP100s), I cannot comment on their relative support nor have I measured both light outputs. I can say, that I'm happy to be done with DP100 support. Then again, I'm happy that my last NC800C is done too. The companies thought about service more and more with each revision and the older machines just are nasty to service. The points about how many hours are on any series 1 are valid...they are all heading to failure...the more ROHS complaint, the more likely.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-23-2016 09:10 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The one big advantage the 2500 has over the DP-100 is that NEC did not use a pressurized cooling system. I hate hate hate pressurized cooling systems! Barco even abandoned them....

If you can locate a Christie CP-2000SB this would probably be the best Series 1 for a drive in. The thing is a light canon!

Mark

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 02-23-2016 05:19 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The pressurised system was to allow the projector to be mounted upside down - legacy from non D-Cinema Barco machines.
As long as you have coolant inside and the projector is not upside down I believe you do not really need any pressure in the system. That said yes, older Barco coolant lines were mostly a pain.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-24-2016 06:18 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I pressurize the series 1 systems on a coolant change but I haven't met one yet that didn't lose its pressure over time with zero consequences. Most ignore the pressure so it isn't really a disadvantage.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: