Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Christie PIB failures

Author Topic: Christie PIB failures
Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2016 08:34 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The PIB seems to be the most sensitive part of the CP2220 projector. I had two fail last week and another about a month ago. None of these projectors are connected to UPS, which I know is hugely important, but also hugely expensive. I wanted to see what your experiences have been with failures when the projector IS on a UPS. Do PIB failures become significantly more rare, or do they still continue to occur far too frequently? As far as I'm aware, these failures have all been when the projector was power cycled intentionally, so I'm not sure a UPS would have prevented the failures anyway.

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 02-15-2016 09:29 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
UPS doesn't seem to matter. The PIB fails on powerup. Ask Christie about it, there are rumors of a revised PIB that eliminates this TOO COMMON failure.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 02-15-2016 10:46 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hugely expensive?

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 02-15-2016 11:01 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Marco's statement.

quote:
The PIB seems to be the most sensitive part of the CP2220 projector. I had two fail last week and another about a month ago. None of these projectors are connected to UPS, which I know is hugely important, but also hugely expensive. I wanted to see what your experiences have been with failures when the projector IS on a UPS. Do PIB failures become significantly more rare, or do they still continue to occur far too frequently? As far as I'm aware, these failures have all been when the projector was power cycled intentionally, so I'm not sure a UPS would have prevented the failures anyway.
Tell us Ken, how much is the replacement PIB? I have been buying Tripp-Lite 2200va UPS for around $600-800 per location and have NEVER had any PIB failures. The projector electronics are kept awake at all times, except for extreme outages which drain the UPS.

Also, the UPS provides surge and spike protection which IMHO is more important than the back up time. (Although having that back up time to allow the projector lamp, light engine and electronics to have fan forced cooldown is super important.)

And since I protect the server as well, any power glitch means the show can go on without a reboot of projector and server, just restrike the lamp and maybe back up show a few minutes.

For a 25,000+ projector I find it disturbing that you consider a UPS costing no more than a grand "hugely expensive." [Roll Eyes]

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 02-15-2016 11:31 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No UPS in not the problem, the PIB design is. Many - way too many - fail whether on UPS or not.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2016 01:04 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Dave, for confirming what I suspected. I had a feeling they were failing either at power off or, more likely, power on.

Tony, why did you lighlight the part about the PIB failing when the projector is power cycled in your quote? That shows that I agree with Dave and that a UPS probably would not prevent this. Believe me, I understand the benefits of having one. And the servers and automations are all on small desktop-style UPSs, but these are not adequate to power the projectors.

As for price, A.) it's not my money, and B.) add up the cost to outfit an entire complex, and "hugely expensive" starts to seem like an appropriate term. I am not questioning the benefit of having one or that the cost is justified. My comment about the price really wasn't even relevant to my question and I shouldn't have made it. I was simply asking if a UPS would prevent PIB failures.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-15-2016 01:41 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have not had PIB failures (yet, it would appear)...about 95% of all our projectors and servers are on a UPS.

Depending on how fancy one goes $500-$1000 for a UPS on this stuff is VERY cheap insurance. That said, UPS batteries don't last forever (typically 3-5 years) so it is an ongoing expense.

There is no way one can logically term them hugely expensive though. Yes, if you add them up in a complex they do add up...but then again so do the projectors and servers when you add them up (kind of scales together). It is certainly up to the person with the $$$ to decide but they don't get to complain at increased failures (in general, not just pointing out the PIB).

I have not had the PIB failures, as mentioned...I have many ICP failures in the ZX/M stuff in series 1 though (as well as a lot of LVPS for the ZX/M...conversely, the 2000S/SBs are tanks).

Looks like I've recently run into a case on a pair of CP2210s where if you don't power cycle the PIB occasionally, it can have distortion on the DVI inputs (streaking or little blocks next to otherwise straight lines).

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 02-15-2016 02:46 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A UPS should be part of your system. It protects your 30-50k investment, prevents lamp explosions, cancelled shows, damages... Because it does not serve an obvious, visible purpose you shouldn't label it as 'expensive'. It's much less expensive than your light engine but you wouldn't buy a projector without one [Smile]

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 02-15-2016 03:02 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christies and most Barco projectors can use a reasonable size UPS (~1000VA) to power the projector electronics, with only the lamp supply powered directly on mains. Doing this is wise if you have at-all dodgy power, recovering from a power flicker takes seconds rather than minutes... and you get enhanced surge protection.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-16-2016 07:42 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my post above regarding the CP2000ZX/M change ICP to PCM...damn alphabet soup!

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2016 05:48 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^^^Speaking of which, what even is PIB? Power input board?

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 02-16-2016 06:13 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Projector Intelligence Board (seriously)

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-19-2016 12:46 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have any screens that are NOT on a UPS.... Been replacing lots of batteries lately though. They are pretty inexpensive in hundred lot quantities.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: