Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Automated Lighting Controllers

Author Topic: Automated Lighting Controllers
Zach Wunder
Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2016 07:31 PM      Profile for Zach Wunder   Author's Homepage   Email Zach Wunder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are currently running with a Kelmar Systems Encore dimmer, that is patched into the projector, however we are trying to update to all LED bulbs in the theatre. With this dimmer there is no way to adjust the curve for the dim so bulbs have a really strong Pop on, which looks really ugly whenever the lights come up after a film. I have tried contacting Kelmar, however they have not responded, and their voicemail box just has the default greeting, leading me to believe they are out of business.

My question comes to this, do any of you know of an equivalent dimmer that is either LED friendly, or has an adjustable dimming curve.

Our projector is the Barco DP4k-23b and our server is the Dolby DSS220.

Thank you for any and all suggestions.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-15-2016 04:30 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kelmar is definitely alive and well. They also have a list of "approved" LED lamps that will dim properly. Not all LED lamps are created equal. You can also try emailing them though I'm surprised you've had trouble with the phone...they are on the east coast, in case it was a timing thing.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 02-15-2016 09:34 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kelmar is one of the best "normal" dimmers for LED lamps. They do have the LCS-LAM accessory LED output module that should solve your problems... I doubt if you want to relamp again using LEDs known to work well with the dimmer.

Zach Wunder
Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2016 11:35 PM      Profile for Zach Wunder   Author's Homepage   Email Zach Wunder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Weird, okay. I called them at about 1:30 EST or 10:30 am PST. I will try emailing them, do you happen to have that list of approved bulbs?

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2016 06:18 AM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That list would make an excellent thread of it's own even.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-16-2016 07:33 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think they do three day weeks now....

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: