Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Dolby CP850 bypass function

Author Topic: Dolby CP850 bypass function
Kris Verhanneman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2016 10:39 AM      Profile for Kris Verhanneman   Email Kris Verhanneman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a bypass function on the dolby CP850. They've blown the HF speaker on the centre channel and asked if there is a bypass function like on the CP500 (analogue) or like on the QSC DCP gear?

(edit)Someone told me that a reboot could fix this?

|  IP: Logged

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2016 12:03 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No there is no bypass, that's simply not possible on a device like CP850.

As to a reboot fixing it, if the HF is damaged no amount of rebooting is going to help.

But if the CP850 is performing crossover functions I guess it's possible that this isn't working properly and a reboot might resolve it.

CP850 has been utterly reliable for us so far.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-13-2016 12:31 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not a bypass in the traditional sense where the majority of a processor is taken out of service--not possible with an object-oriented track. But is there no way to tell the processor that a given B chain channel is out of service and have it route sound as best as it can around the problem? That would surely seem doable given the capabilities of the processing.

I guess if you wanted a real backup you'd need either a 2nd conventional processor (already tuned) for playing a 5.1 or 7.1 track and a quick way to connect to the amps. Or at least a D to A and a note of how the adjust the amp gains.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-13-2016 01:32 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
In theory it should be entirely possible to intentionally create a CP850 "design" without a center, forcing equal distribution of that information to the next two closest speakers. This is done on the surround array, so unless there is some hard-coded restriction, it should be able to be done for the center.

Granted it's not going to be as simple as pressing a button, but a tech should be able to re-load the alternate config to quickly get back up to save the weekend. It wouldn't surprise me though if Dolby intentionally has blocked such a thing to force people to keep their center channel maintained, as often once something gets put into bypass, the emergency is over and it can get forgotten about if the technical crew is not diligent.

Anyone who integrates Q-SYS into their Atmos room (or even a normal room) can easily create quick buttons on the UCI to accomplish this though. Plus the sound is FAR superior to calibrating within the CP850.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 02-13-2016 01:40 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
QSYS is incredible. Never though of creating an emergency snapshot. And yes, the same should be doable within the 850.

I'd be curious to hear how a phantom centre channel would sound in a 5-stage Atmos theatre.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2016 04:27 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've met a couple of the people at Dolby who were on the CP850 design team
and have whined to them on several occasions about the lack of any type of
bypass or the ability to have complete flexibility in re-assigning channels in
an emergency, after I had a similar situation last fall when a center channel
amp completely failed. They listened politely, and that was that.
(And I manage to bring it up again every time I see them)

I had a spare 'repeating coil' type transformer (one input, 2 outputs) and was
able to run the center channel audio through that and split it to the left & right
screen channels.

Fortunately, the theater in question had an old, long, narrow, "shooting gallery"
type of auditorium, with mediocre acoustics, so unless you were sitting in the
front several rows, most people wouldn't notice the lack of center channel.

Was it an 'ideal' fix- - no. But it worked well enough to get them through a
busy weekend, with no complaints, until a new amp could be installed Monday.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-13-2016 05:08 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
If Dolby was concerned about people running that way, they could always update the CP850's software so if the unit was put into bypass mode that it would only play the 5.1 track and as such, any Atmos logo would play silent.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 02-14-2016 04:57 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't the whole idea of those fancy Multi-Dimensional formats that it adapts the soundtrack to your sound system and room conditions?

If you have a gazillion of speakers in your room, because you're doing Atmos all the way from the sun to the moon and back again, how big are the chances of one of your speakers or amps crapping out now and then?

Dolby should offer an easy maintenance option that allows you to temporarily disable a speaker and the system should compensate for that speaker as good as it can.

Heck... the system should run a daily self-diagnostic, where it plays a predefined set of test-loops and it should identify bad channels, mark them, log them, mail them to you and take them temporarily out of service automatically.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-15-2016 07:17 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember that was a passage in one of the ATMOS whitepapers on fault redundancy and automatic speaker defect masking. Just don't know where that was, and wether it is capable to mask the most important speaker in a cinema system as well.
Although a phantom center is perfectly ok as a temporary measure.

- Carsten

Jay Wyatt
Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2016 01:03 PM      Profile for Jay Wyatt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marcel Birgelen
Dolby should offer an easy maintenance option that allows you to temporarily disable a speaker and the system should compensate for that speaker as good as it can.

I see it as slippery slope - if you allow users to make a phantom center they'll be less inclined to fix their Center loudspeaker issues. This is far from ideal for cinema playback and its not Dolby's responsibility to create non-ideal features to bail out cinemas - especially if they're trying to promote a brand like ATMOS.

At the end of the day it's up the the theater owner to keep his equipment maintained and running. If something vital to the movie-going experience fails (ie Center channel) get it fixed.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-16-2016 01:10 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh come on. You could say the same thing about bypass on the older processors. The point is to save shows until the repair is done.

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 02-16-2016 03:43 PM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The whole purpose is indeed to save shows. Resiliency and redundancy is not an excuse for lack of maintenance, it's merely accepting the reality of failures and incorporating them in your design.

Just like RAID is capable to compensate for disk failures, it's no excuse for not replacing broken disks. There's also no excuse not to repair a broken light fixture, but should it be a showstopper?

The more technology you put into a theater, the more likely it will be some components will fail. Incorporating failure modes into your design and ways to compensate for them without noticeably impacting quality will only lead to a better product for your paying customers.

Jay Wyatt
Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2016 04:25 PM      Profile for Jay Wyatt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marcel Birgelen
The more technology you put into a theater, the more likely it will be some components will fail. Incorporating failure modes into your design and ways to compensate for them without noticeably impacting quality will only lead to a better product for your paying customers.
I agree with you here, but I'd argue certain failures should be show stoppers. If center channel was gone in a movie I'd want my money back.

Also, (unless Lc and Rc exist) no immersive format is going to be able to 'compensate' for a missing Center. Routing dialogue to the surrounds or ceiling speakers would be a poor fix.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-16-2016 05:32 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We smaller cinema operators love the idea of having bypass, fallback, etc, for obvious reasons.

But when I think about it, you are right in that ATMOS is such a high-profile system and only used in premium auditoriums. I wouldn't want to pay a surcharge/premium for such a system when it is comstricted by a technical fault. And every cinema with an ATMOS system should have the resources to have these systems properly maintained.

If there was an automated masking function, there would only be a red light somewhere, that could be missed or ignored for days, weeks, months...

A CP850 should always have an automated email alert sent to Dolby NOC in case of an error, with Dolby mandating a repair within a specified deadline, otherwise Dolby would pull out out the equipment...

- Carsten

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2016 09:17 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To help you find failed (or stolen) speakers, the USL LSS-100P can send a command to put a CP-850 or QLI-32 into a test mode where pink noise is sent to each speaker in sequence. The LSS then reports any out of tolerance SPLs from each speaker.

Harold

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: