Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Drop contrast on Barco DP2k-12c

Author Topic: Drop contrast on Barco DP2k-12c
Ivan Ivanov
Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2016 07:04 PM      Profile for Ivan Ivanov   Email Ivan Ivanov   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please help with contrast problem on Barco-DP2K-12c.

3,5 Year old PJ located in controlled temperature and dust environment.
Last time (1,5 year ago) when measurement ON/OFF contrast by Klein-10A it was at about 1:2100. All Maintenance procedure done on time. Nothing change in projector expect lamps and software, same place, same room, same screen. Now contrast drop to 1:1200. Check and clean Light pipe, optics, port window, try different optics, check lamp, Install latest software, check PCF, actually check everything and finally nothing helps.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-05-2016 09:32 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems like there was another post with a Barco and a similar issue not too long ago...

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-06-2016 05:03 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, could be a similar thing:

http://www.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=16;t=002497#000005

- Carsten

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 02-06-2016 08:28 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The prism exit area on Barco machines tend to get dusty. 12C should not be severely affected, particularly in a dust controlled environment, and dust on the prism exit and lens should not affect the black level and ON/OFF contrast - only the ANSI/interframe contrast.

My point is that nobody usually checks these values and what you found may be something common which has not been noticed around.

Another point is: how do you check contrast? Pointing the meter to the projector or to the screen? The auditorium will have a great impact on contrast if there is any residual light.

Let us know how it goes.

Ivan Ivanov
Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2016 10:16 AM      Profile for Ivan Ivanov   Email Ivan Ivanov   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For Check contrast use Black and White test pattern from Communicator.
Measurement by Klein-K10A from the centre of the screen.
Projector installed in post production grading room, with matte black wall, no EXIT sign, or lights on stairs. With projector switched OFF i measurement 0,00001 ftl on the screen.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 02-06-2016 11:01 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ivan,

Try pointing the meter towards the projector - you may have a diffuser to add to provide you a reliable reading.

That way the measured levels will be much higher and the room and the tool sensitivity won't affect the readings so much.

I appreciate the room is very dark but contrast is greatly affected by the tiniest amount of light, even a little tea table in the wrong place can affect a reading - that said ON/OFF readings shouldn't be too affected.

Ivan Ivanov
Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2016 02:23 PM      Profile for Ivan Ivanov   Email Ivan Ivanov   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marco,

My problem is:
Projector, room, screen, wall paint don't change between measurement.
I has contrast 1:2100 in this room with same colormeter, also with different one for exclude problem with colormeter.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 02-06-2016 06:03 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just trying to rule out elements. If you already know the room is ok, then open a ticket with Barco and request a new light engine.

Ivan Ivanov
Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2016 07:27 PM      Profile for Ivan Ivanov   Email Ivan Ivanov   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank You Marco for help.
I'm already send all information to Barco, but I was hoping that maybe i'm was missing something.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: