Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Natsamrat subtitles

Author Topic: Natsamrat subtitles
David J Hilsgen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2016 01:34 AM      Profile for David J Hilsgen   Email David J Hilsgen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody else have trouble with the english sub titles on this India film, its cutting the bottom of the sentence off,its like, its not there, I have the latest software on the GDC server, it ran the new SMPTE test fine. every body in the audience knew the language so it was no big deal.The other ones i ran had no problems. the projector is a nec 3240 4K anybody have any answers?

|  IP: Logged

Ian Freer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2016 03:03 AM      Profile for Ian Freer   Email Ian Freer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are a few things to check;
#1 is the film flat or scope
#2 is the film 2k or 4k
#3 what PCF is the projector using (check for correct PCF in DCC software)
#4 what resolution is the server outputting (do you have a 4k license)(GDC has 'native' 'always 2k' and 'always 4k' options if you have a 4k license.
#5 are you using Subtitle Overlay or Cinecanvas? (I don't recall off the top of my head if subtitle overlay is yet being supported for 4k. I think it might be, but don't have a copy of the release notes in front of me...

Any of these things have the potential to mess up the subtitles. I'm guessing it's a scope title and the titles are being cropped off a little by the screen file?

If you're using a mixture of 2k and 4k settings, the subtitle system maybe be placing the titles lower in the frame than you need.

Or it's just a bad DCP...

Cheers,
Ian

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 02-01-2016 06:24 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will be ingesting it overnight, but do not yet have the KDM, so will not be able to test it tomorrow. Screening on Saturday and Sunday.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-01-2016 06:34 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since you have a 4K projector...with subtitles, make sure your PCF uses a 2K PCF when running 2K Subtitled movies. Subtitles reference the bottom of the image (and left edge) for placement. When you run a 2K movie on a 4K machine, the ICP will scale the image to have it fill the raster. So if you run a 4K PCF, it will place the subtitles at the bottom of a 4K image and then the scaler puts the bottom line below the screen.

If you use a 2K PCF (DCDM_XYZ_185 or 239 as appropriate) instead of the 4K version by the same name, your problem will vanish. You will need separate 2K and 4K projector presets. Again, this only affects movies that have subtitles and use CineCanvas to subtitle generation.

There is no problem running 2K movies with a 4K PCF (it will scale them out right), however, on a 4K projector, you cannot do the reverse (run 4K movies on a 2K PCF) but with subtitled movies, you have to match the PCF to the content.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 02-02-2016 08:20 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doremi server, NEC NC-800c, plays fine.

Steve Guttag

- posted 02-02-2016 11:17 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen,

You missed the nuance twice. One Doremi normally handles its own subtitles rather than depending on CineCanvas. The NC800 is a 2K projector and the Doremi is going to be an HDSDI based (DCP2000 or 2K4) so again, it will only extract the 2K portion and thereby never experience the problem.

This problem is only for 4K systems when running 2K subtitled features...the projector HAS to use a 2K input/PCF configuration so CineCanvas puts the subtitles in the right place.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-04-2016 03:41 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With Barco, a macro was added so the PCF can switch scaling for the 4k content to show correctly through a 2k machine.

Without it, the 4k image looked that it was zoomed up on the screen-we ran into that one also with losing subtitles where at first, I had to go into the PCF listing and manually change it to 4k_xyz_239 per each show until the macro was inserted.

Steve Guttag

- posted 02-04-2016 10:13 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It isn't a Barco, Christie or NEC thing...it is a TI ICP thing. It is the same ICP (unless you have a Barco Alchemy), that does the scaling/interpreting of the source file/caption placement.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: