Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Dolby CP750 Back Up Question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Dolby CP750 Back Up Question
Michael Harlow
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2016 12:06 PM      Profile for Michael Harlow   Email Michael Harlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, hope you can help?
I have a CP750 which is beginning to fail (fails to boot up, etc)
Is there a way I can save all of the CP750 settings so that if i replace it i can just reload the configuration of the old one on to the new one?
I can log in via the CP750 set up software, but i cannot see an obvious "save settings" or back up settings..
Any ideas lovely people?
Thank you as always for your help

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-31-2016 12:25 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This will make you angry, so apologies upfront.

Once you are connected and you can flip through the tabs to see the settings and such, click FILE>SAVE.

To re-upload, connect and then click FILE>OPEN.

Yup, it's that simple.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2016 01:21 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, the PSU is a notorious fail point.

The good news is they are available and are an easy swap.

There is also an external back up version.

Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2016 08:33 AM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As pete said, its an easy swap to replace the internal PSU.

I ordered one from Omnex last week, and replaced the (still good) one in my CP750, keeping the old one as a spare.

The one I pulled out had some pretty low quality caps on it, a brand I have not heard of before. The replacement came with NichonChemicon caps, a top quality brand.

Since replacing it I have not had the weird "display dim when power on until you change the display contrast setting" bug happen.

Took me about 5 mins to swap it out

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-01-2016 10:45 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone make their own low cost backup supplies by fitting a 4-pin XLR to an inexpensive generic PS? I see it needs plus 15, minus 15 and plus 5 volts.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-01-2016 11:33 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone told me the original internal OEM power supply fitting the CP750 can be bought on Amazon for as little as 30-40US$. So, why bother to attach something generic?

I can see one reason, though: If the internal supply fails, it is quicker to have an external supply connected for the rest of the day than to pull the CP750 out and fit the new internal one.

Maybe the internal supply can be transformed into an external supply with just a few wires and connectors?

- Carsten

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-01-2016 12:39 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious what the OEM part number is on the main power supply for the CP750.

The Back Up supply is quasi over the counter but one does have to put their own NC4FX connector on it and it is VERY tight in there considering all of the commons have to land on one pin. The stock supply is with a DIN connector.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 02-01-2016 02:47 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe they can be commoned in the supply (depending on gauge) or do something just outside the XLR, to be hidden with heat shrink.

Steve Guttag

- posted 02-01-2016 04:19 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can do it inside the XLR connector (we do and Dolby's OEM does)...just saying...that is the frustrating part.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2016 08:50 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do these power supplies really fail frequently? We rarely see a failed power supply.

Harold

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2016 05:10 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Harold,

I've had 100% failure rate on a three screen site, within six months of install.

There was, according to Dolby, a batch of PSUs which had some poor components. But I would add that I've seen failures in early CP750 and current CP750. Sometimes years after install, sometime minutes.

The same PSU is used in the DMA8+, I've seen multiple failures on those too.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-02-2016 05:27 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There had been a few issues with AP20 PSUs as well, but I can not judge if that was within normal statistics.

There is a 'certain uncertainty' about product quality when you source a major component like a PSU externally, because the production/component quality is not under your own control. So you may end up with a bad batch.

- Carsten

Steve Guttag

- posted 02-02-2016 06:48 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of the multiple hundred CP750s we've put in...we've had one PSU fail...it was shortly after it was installed (months, not minutes). We've had zero DMA8+ PSUs fail.

I'm inclined to believe the batch theory on failure.

Too many people have complained about it to not have something there.

Matthew Heuer
Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2016 07:15 AM      Profile for Matthew Heuer   Email Matthew Heuer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have 16 CP750s, of those we lost 3 due to power supply failure. 1 a couple days after install, and the other 2 after a year or so of service. All are on UPS and left on along with server 24/7 typically. In speaking with dolby they admitted that there were bad batchs of PSUs and most of our serial numbers fall within that batch. Doh!

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-02-2016 07:31 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
The Back Up supply is quasi over the counter but one does have to put their own NC4FX connector on it and it is VERY tight in there considering all of the commons have to land on one pin. The stock supply is with a DIN connector.
Couldn't you group the commons on the supply-side already?

- Carsten
- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: