Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » WEIRD PROBLEM DSS200

Author Topic: WEIRD PROBLEM DSS200
Niguel Gunther
Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2016 02:04 PM      Profile for Niguel Gunther   Author's Homepage   Email Niguel Gunther   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi all,

ok so to start off i do not know all too much about digital cinema only that i have dss200 servers running in my cinemas.
a while back we had a white screen error .any content that we tried to play just showed white screen and in showmanager the timer was stuck on 0:00:00 and a green " RUNNING" was at status.
i sent in the cat862 for repair and dolby fixed it.
a few days later i got the same problem but this time i did not send away to repair i just opened up the dss200 and fiddled with the cables and than left it opened . it worked like this for 3 months
so today i wanted to put it back together neatly and closed the dss200 and the problem came back .
now i fiddle with cables , sawp out but problem wont go awa .

anyone have any clue? casue i dont wanna sent the part back to dolby and wait 2 months and pay 1500 us dollars again for a 2 day fix .

|  IP: Logged

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2016 03:15 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What version of software are you running? The white screen issues is a known bug that has been fixed. The showing running but not doing anything is a current bug that will be fixed with 4.9.x.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 01-27-2016 05:40 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did the audio start to play as normal during the white screen? If so, I had this problem during a fest last summer, and it was fixed in the next software update.

One potential gotcha: if you are using, if memory serves me correctly, 4.3.5.13 or earlier on the server and your projector is a series 1 machine that can only cope with Cinelink 1 DS link encryption, the later versions of the Dolby software use Cinelink 2 TLS only. In this scenario, it may be possible to make your projector work with TLS by updating its software as well, but if you just update the DSS200 software without checking this out first, you could be in serious trouble.

Wandering OT, I once spent a great two weeks in Suriname, starting in Parbo and making it up the coast to Nieuw Nickerie, where a friend was doing some missionary work (of the strictly religious variety!). The Parbo stout was particularly nice, as I recall...

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-28-2016 06:39 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem of the CAT862 sometimes only showing a white screen was addressed in System 4.8.5 (only a few CAT 862s were affected too). One of the reasons they extended the System 4.7 line past 4.7.3.3 was to incorporate this fix into 4.7 for those who's software coverage expires with 4.7. I think it was 4.7.4 that has the fix in it but I don't recall...all of our DSS200s are now on 4.8.x.x

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2016 06:17 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To hop in post.....i have one site which is running old software on DSS200, projector is series 1 and encryption is only to level 1 DS.....i heard somewhere that when upgrade to newest DSS200 is possible to change encryption type, and someone says it is not possible.....can someone confirm which is true?

Steve Guttag

- posted 02-09-2016 06:56 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the current DSS200 software will allow one to change encryption type via the CLI. Your choices in 4.4 and beyond are CINELINK (cinelink 1 is still supported), TLS (Cinelink 2 TLS) and OFF (no Cinelink but will not run encrypted content).

I forget which version of software allows CLI change of cinelink but it goes back a ways. One has to log in via administrator on the command line, switch to the scripts directly and use the ./linkencrypt.sh command to make the change.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 02-09-2016 10:26 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was grappling with this around this time last year, if memory serves me correctly, 4.3.5.13 was the final version that allows DS.

Steve Guttag

- posted 02-10-2016 06:30 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it was 4.3.5.x was the last that supported DH

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: