Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » HDMI(DVI)->SDI converter

Author Topic: HDMI(DVI)->SDI converter
Ben Edwards
Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2016 12:38 PM      Profile for Ben Edwards   Author's Homepage   Email Ben Edwards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. As this is to connect to a Cinema Projector posting here, sorry if I should be posting to the Afterlife forum.

Looking for a gadget to convert a output from a laptop/PC (HDMI or DVI) to SDI. Ideally that embeds audio so it can be deembeded at the other end (we have a box to do this).

We are a volunteer run non-profitcinema so be good to keep the price down but realise this is pro kit.

Ben

|  IP: Logged

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2016 02:10 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blackmagic has a dandy one. I'm sure they have a UK distributor. I'm up to my knees with their various boxes, it's all solid stuff.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-25-2016 04:43 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One issue might be HDCP

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-25-2016 07:04 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon is correct...HDMI to SDI can be tricky if the content has the HDCP flag set.

Given the choice of AJA or Black Magic on the same sort of box, I'll go AJA every time, they seem to work more reliably. Black Magic often takes shortcuts to get their stuff cheaper and it can bite you...like on their AES de-embedder, it will change the clock rate and you lose Dolby-E capability.

So for a non-HDCP to SDI, AJA has their HA5-Plus:

https://www.aja.com/en/products/mini-converters/ha5-plus

LYNK Yellowbrk stuff also is known to work well

http://www.lynx-technik.com/en/products/yellobrik-products/LynxController/Product/LynxAction/show/LynxProduct/35/LynxCategory/1/

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 01-26-2016 11:34 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do you want SDI? What kind of DC projector?

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2016 09:05 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I keep a Roland VC-1-DL in my 'bag of tricks'. They're a little pricy at almost $750-800, but
they are rugged (since I often lug it around to different venues) and IMO worth every penny.
Also, they are bi-directional, broadcast grade, and can do frame synchronizing and a few
other signal processing functions, which is probably a bit more than what you are looking for.

The next model down is the VC-1-HS, which does HDMI to SDI only, with either embedded
or separate audio. ("RCA" type Aux inputs) They're only about $500 list price, but you might
be able to find them for less if you shop around.

quote: Gordon McLeod
One issue might be HDCP
I discovered a couple of years ago while setting up multiple monitors at a major convention,
that some HDMI "splitters" will pass the signal to non HDCP compliant devices as long as
there is at least ONE compliant device connected to one of the output ports.
Not ALL HDMI splitters will do this, apparently some do. So you could feed your HDCP
enabled signal into one of these splitters, then take one of the outputs and run it into
an HDMI-->SDI converter as long as you had an HDMI compliant monitor connected to
one of the other outputs.

Just for fun, I recently bought a semi-professional HDMI 4X4 matrix switcher ($400) and
while I haven't used it on a job yet, I discovered while testing and 'playing around' with
it that it works the same way. (Will route input signal to "anything" as long as there an
HDCP compliant device connected to at least one of the outputs.)

Magnus Eriksson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2016 05:04 AM      Profile for Magnus Eriksson   Email Magnus Eriksson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jim Cassedy
Will route input signal to "anything" as long as there an HDCP compliant device connected to at least one of the outputs
Call the HDCP police [Big Grin]

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2016 05:34 AM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original poster asked about taking the HDMI output of a PC to SDI. I have NEVER seen HDCP be an issue out of a PC.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-27-2016 06:46 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It all depends on what the material it is playing. Note, if the "PC" is an Apple product, they default to HDCP on, even if non-flagged content is playing. However, via EDID, it can be "told" to deactivate HDCP for non-flagged content. It is a common A/V issue.

Andrew Tiberia
Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2016 07:58 AM      Profile for Andrew Tiberia   Email Andrew Tiberia   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HDCP will still be an issue with PCs, I've tried and any legitimate BD software will have HDCP and will not allow playback.

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2016 08:44 AM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From his post in another thread, I gather that the original poster is asking about running self and locally-created content on a PC. In this case HDCP should not be an issue.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 02-06-2016 01:23 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get this (not one that looks just like it) and your HDCP worries will be a thing of the past. At least mine strips HDCP.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: