Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Trying to stay cool

Author Topic: Trying to stay cool
Reeves Watson
Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2016 09:17 AM      Profile for Reeves Watson   Author's Homepage   Email Reeves Watson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So we have very little air in our booth and it is shared with the university and they have their own projector in the room also and are worried about the heat from our projector. We have explored comfort cooling however the room is 50 feet in the air therefore getting the plant in place is proving very costly.

We have talked to our installer and we are looking at a Extraction Duct Kit, apparently it secures onto the side of our projector, Chritsie Solaria One + by the way and with an inline fan draws the heat away.

Does anyone use such a set up and how effective is it please.

Many thanks

Reeves

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Thomas
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-25-2016 12:28 PM      Profile for Andrew Thomas   Email Andrew Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From my experience, the Solaria Ones run pretty dang cool. Have you looked at the temp readings to see if they are above the recommended levels?

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 01-25-2016 12:43 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Solaria 2210 with the extraction duct kit. It does indeed screw onto the side of the projector; you attach an exhaust duct to that. I have an exhaust fan on the ceiling that I used to use with my film lamphouse. I attached the duct to that and now the air from the digital projector gets exhausted outside just like it did when I was running film.

It seems to work pretty well. The projection room stays a lot cooler than it did before I got it.

You might also want to look at a "split air conditioner" for your projection room. I have one of those, too, and they can apparently be installed almost anywhere. You put the condenser unit outside (mine sits on the roof of the lobby) and mount the indoor unit on the wall. They connect together with a run of two smallish copper pipes. Hook it up to power and you're all set. Mine is controlled with a remote control unit similar to what you would use for a television set.

That way you don't have to worry about where the rest of the building gets its air conditioning from, and split air conditioners aren't terribly expensive.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: