Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » NT Live subtitles

Author Topic: NT Live subtitles
Gronw Roberts
Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2016 11:21 AM      Profile for Gronw Roberts   Email Gronw Roberts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had a Lansat installed a couple of days ago and I am scheduled to show our first NT Live on the 28th. I was going through the tuning notes and saw that there are embedded subtitles. Are these on by default and if so, how do I turn them off?

Should I have a remote for the Lansat at all? The installers didn't leave one here as far as I can see.

Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Ian Garland
Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2016 12:13 PM      Profile for Ian Garland   Email Ian Garland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You will get a message regarding set up from Picture house, there are indeed embedded subs but they state they must be off in all UK cinemas.

We had LANsat installed here some time ago. We have also been showing NT Live and other live TXs. When the LANsat was installed I ran it for the first time receiving satellite but projected from our existing set up, good job as 30 mins in it froze. Have since tried on subsequent live shows and only once did it hold up. I hope you have a suitable backup receiver hooked up.

There is no remote by the way, you use the web GUI to enter settings for freq, symbol, polarization then scan as you do a normal satellite receiver. Just looked at ours and there is nothing to select or deselect subs, could be a problem if doing ENO as they are a required to be on for their transmissions.

Gronw Roberts
Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2016 01:00 PM      Profile for Gronw Roberts   Email Gronw Roberts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Ian. I couldn't find anything about turning off subtitles in the GUI either, I thought maybe I'd missed something.

There is no back up here! If it does freeze on me what would you advise I do?

Philip Jones
Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2016 01:40 PM      Profile for Philip Jones   Email Philip Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've been using one for a couple of years and find it excellent.

We use the web GUI which we had a few teething problems with in the beginning due to network settings, but since it's been sorted we've had no issues.
There is a VGA output on the box, as well as USB so I'm not sure if you could just output the same GUI to a monitor and use a mouse.

To select/deselect the subtitles you hover over the preview window in the GUI and it will come up at the top as a drop down box you can click to select the language or none. All the shows we've ever done have had the subtitles off by default.

Gronw Roberts
Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2016 01:53 PM      Profile for Gronw Roberts   Email Gronw Roberts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great,thanks Philip.

Ian Garland
Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2016 02:19 PM      Profile for Ian Garland   Email Ian Garland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gronw,

We are going to test ours again when we do Les Liaisons Dangereuses and will be in contact with Tarra to monitor it on test day and live, hopefully it will be sorted. We run a dual LNB on our dish connected to two seperate receivers, they are both standard domestic types, one a Humax HDR and the other a Technomate TM5402 *(The Technomate seems to get slagged of as unreliable by many but when we first got it our local installer recommended it and rated it higher than the offerings from Icecrypt at the time, so far it has never missed a beat and is super easy to use.

For the cost of a backup receiver I would suggest you buy one, TM5402 retails for £99.00 so not a great expense, certainly with a live show at premium prices I would hate to cancel and refund. If you are not running a dual LNB most receivers have a loop through so could be put in series with other receiver.

Gronw Roberts
Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2016 02:48 PM      Profile for Gronw Roberts   Email Gronw Roberts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ian. A backup sounds like a good plan, I'll have a word with my bosses and see what they say about buying another receiver.

I'm a bit concerned that I won't be able to test properly as well. The cinema gets used as a lecture theatre during the day and I won't be able to project anything. It's really not ideal, the first time I'll get to see what's coming over our projector and sound system will be at 5pm on show night. I plan to be here and tune in when tests are happening but I'm stuck to do anything beyond that.

I've tested the system so I know we get picture and sound, I just hope that the NT Live will come through propery on the night.

Ian Garland
Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2016 03:01 PM      Profile for Ian Garland   Email Ian Garland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could record some of the test content on the PVR then playback through the system at a convenient time when not being used for lectures. Also while not in HD there are plenty of FTA channels to test from, if your on Intellsat 10-02 BTV Telenor test page is always up.

Gronw Roberts
Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2016 03:09 PM      Profile for Gronw Roberts   Email Gronw Roberts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had Visjon Norge up and running, that came through fine. Recording the test for playback later is a great idea, I'll do that. Thanks, good suggestion.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 01-21-2016 04:23 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you hover the mouse on the preview window a drop down window should become visible to allow you to enable our disable the subtitles

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: