Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » S2K-sized Sony projector?

Author Topic: S2K-sized Sony projector?
Pietro Clarici
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2016 04:50 PM      Profile for Pietro Clarici   Author's Homepage   Email Pietro Clarici   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking for a compact DCI machine to rent out and use in unusual settings, and considering my options on the DLP side I think Sony could really use a small, light 4K projector in the 5000-lumen range right now.

Something similar to the VW5000ES (which supports DCI P3 but hasn't got an IMS), but not necessarily laser-based: no need for dynamic iris either, even a basic 4000:1 contrast ratio would look great compared to S2K machines.

I'm not looking to break NDAs here, but can anyone hint to such a development of Sony's product line? Should I wait for CinemaCon to make a final decision about my purchase?

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-20-2016 05:43 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt it.

On the other hand, I never thought Barco would bring out another machine below the spec/price level of the 10Sx/8Sx now that the digital rollout is basically done. And I was wrong.

In some countries, Sony sells the SRX-R510 to compete with the S2k machines. However, that is just a 515 stripped down to 4 lamps instead of 6. Quite a bargain, as it lists for around 10.000US$ or € lower than the 515, and is only missing these two lamp sockets and lamp supplies. But it's the same size and weight as the 515. I would have loved to buy a real portable SXRD DCI machine, as we do have a 515. Instead, we now bought the Barco 6E.

- Carsten

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: