Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Inserting an intermission in Hateful Eight? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Inserting an intermission in Hateful Eight?
James Waite
Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2016 01:25 AM      Profile for James Waite   Author's Homepage   Email James Waite   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are a single screen and I'll be playing one show a night so I'd like to put an intermission into my digital version of Hateful Eight.

I for one felt a little peeved I had to sit through a three hour movie without an intermission just because I couldn't make it to a 70mm show.

other than manually pausing it is there anyway to set the playlist to put in an intermission? I have a doremi server.

|  IP: Logged

Christian Hove
Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2016 05:48 AM      Profile for Christian Hove   Email Christian Hove   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For other long movies I have successfully used the intermission feature introduced with software version 2.6.0.

I have a PDF describing its use (not sure if it is the latest revision):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7vnqodu66yfcpip/Intermission_Feature_Configuration_003696_v1_1.pdf?dl=0

Cheers,

Christian

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-20-2016 08:49 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The following DCI servers offer an explicit intermission function in their recent software versions:

- Doremi (from v2.6x)
- Dolby (from v4.8x - so not for DSS100)
- Sony (all versions)

Not sure for GDC. Anyone?

- Carsten

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 01-20-2016 11:04 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure that you're allowed to do that? Without actually going and digging it out to be sure, I vaguely recall that some of the exhibition contracts require you to play the movie from beginning to end without pause except for technical problems.

Timothy Eiler
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2016 12:57 PM      Profile for Timothy Eiler   Author's Homepage   Email Timothy Eiler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Cox
I vaguely recall that some of the exhibition contracts require you to play the movie from beginning to end without pause except for technical problems.
Over the years when I've had long movies and the technical problems usually developed somewhere during the movie each show but We always able to get it going after a brief intermission.

Brian DeCiancio
Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2016 01:35 PM      Profile for Brian DeCiancio   Author's Homepage   Email Brian DeCiancio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Cox
Are you sure that you're allowed to do that?
Is this the same contract that requires moveable masking, 5.1 sound, a GORE/Enigma board and 14fl in order to be DCI compliant?

Just kidding. We are all compliant.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 01-20-2016 01:44 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone should figure out where it should go on the non roadshow timeline to be essentially at the same spot as on the roadshow. Besides the lack of an overture, it is, I believe, cut slightly differently.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-20-2016 01:49 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The german HTF8 distributor actually added a technical letter to the normal DCP version with a suggestion where to insert an intermission.

There is a 10s black piece between chapter three and the chapter four title card (around 1h35min31s).
At the beginning of chapter four, the off-speaker actually mentions the previous intermission. So I'd say, with this movie it is clearly wrong to NOT insert an intermission.

BTW - cinemas in switzerland always make intermissions - even with normal-lenght features. It's just their local habit.

- Carsten

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2016 02:13 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know the time stamp, but if you were to place the intermission where it was on the roadshow, it would go right after Bob the Mexican closes the piano. I believe there is a hard cut to black at that moment.

Michael Kurtzke
Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2016 02:30 PM      Profile for Michael Kurtzke   Email Michael Kurtzke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The cut to black is at 1:34:55. Unlike the Roadshow prints, there is still sound between the chapters [some wind howling].

Annli Com
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2016 12:22 AM      Profile for Annli Com   Author's Homepage   Email Annli Com   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear All
The Movie HATEFULL EIGHT 2 PART CPL Available
Contact Your Content Service Provider,
we are in india the movie playing in 2 part CPL.

James Waite
Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2016 10:08 AM      Profile for James Waite   Author's Homepage   Email James Waite   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I don't care if we are 'allowed' to insert an intermission or not. I was kind of insulted that just because I couldn't make it to a 70mm show I had to try to sit through a 3 hour movie having to take a leak the last hour.

If the Roadshow version has an intermission then the DCP one should too.

My server does have an intermission function so I'll play with it. It seems to play a separate playlist during the intermission. Maybe I can find one of those countdown clocks online.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-06-2016 11:35 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=countdown+clock+15+min

+ dcp-o-matic

- Carsten

Pietro Clarici
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-06-2016 12:31 PM      Profile for Pietro Clarici   Author's Homepage   Email Pietro Clarici   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Italy we have been told that Tarantino himself requested an intermission to be placed at 1.35.40, basically the same spot Carsten mentioned. The voiceover in Chapter 4 says "we left our characters 15 minutes ago...", I think they got this line straight from the roadshow version. Could have changed it to "a few minutes ago" to be less specific, or we could have done it locally since we dub everything anyway.

I would also have appreciated if they left out the sound from the black segment, or at least faded out. We have to cut while sound is still playing, feels a little unprofessional.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 02-06-2016 02:32 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Couldn't you do an audio fade on the cheap by issuing a few fader commands in the SPL?

Our AP20 has configurable fade to/from for format changes.

I wish there was something like that for picture as well ;-)

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: