Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » 'Hateful Eight' - not 70 mm. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 'Hateful Eight' - not 70 mm.
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 01-17-2016 04:45 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I'm asking about both film and digital I wasn't sure which forum to put this in.

Do the digital and 35 mm versions preserve the full Ultra Panavision aspect ratio or are they reduced to 2.39? If the original a.r what format are they in; is the image letterboxed within a 2.39 DCP or 35 mm anamorphic film frame?

|  IP: Logged

Michal Matys
Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2016 07:54 AM      Profile for Michal Matys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Stephen

I dont know how about 35mm, but in digital it is letterboxed 2.39.

Michal

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-18-2016 09:08 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen the Multiplex version but the Roadshow version was letterboxed to 2.76.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2016 10:00 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Besides the 35mm roadshow and 35mm general release prints that were struck specifically for Tarantino, and are now playing at his New Beverly Theatre in Los Angeles, were any other 35mm prints of either version struck for distribution?

Amanda Mundin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2016 10:59 AM      Profile for Amanda Mundin   Email Amanda Mundin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No 35mm in the UK, and only 1 70mm, apparently

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 01-18-2016 11:22 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you gentlemen.

Michal, can you please clarify one point. When you say 'lerrerboxed 2.39' I assume you mean that it was a 2.39 DCP with a 2.76 image letterboxed within it, not that the actual image was 2.39 and this was letterboxed within within a narrower format. The latter seems highly unlikely, but I have seen stranger things in the past.

Mark Strube
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2016 02:27 PM      Profile for Mark Strube   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Strube   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently saw digital Hateful Eight, and it was definitely 2.76 (or close to it) letterboxed inside 2.39.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2016 03:43 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, it's 2.76:1 inside the 2.39:1 frame.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-18-2016 04:41 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same as the trailers, and properly named. Just that the FTR is in 4k

TH8_TLR-2_S-276_EN-XX_51_2K_20151113_ADC_IOP_OV

I heard that the roadshow DCP is only delivered to those locations playing the 70mm - meant as a backup only in case the 70mm fails.
All digital only locations get the standard version.

- Carsten

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 01-18-2016 06:33 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, if showing this in 2k, on an ordinary projector without an anamorphic lens, how many pixels are actually seen on screen?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-19-2016 05:37 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
720p...er 2048x742

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 01-19-2016 10:32 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did a quick calculation during the night and worked it out to 743, so I was near enough. How does it look?

They want to show it here, but on our screen the picture will be about 1.2 metres high, and there's a Vue multiplex about one minute walk away that will have shown it before us.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-19-2016 10:35 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually it's 1080 - with a fair amount of them being very dark.

- Carsten

Michal Matys
Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2016 09:56 AM      Profile for Michal Matys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Yes, I meant 2.76 letterboxed in 2.39, and as mentioned it is 1080.

Michal

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 01-20-2016 02:28 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not really my sort of film, but I went to see it in 70 mm at Leicester Square today. The first half was better than I had expected, but I wasn't so keen on the second half. I can understand him wanting to shoot it on 65 mm, and release on 70 mm, but why in Ultra-Panavision? There were few shots which really made use of the full frame, most of the action takes place inside a building. II don't think if would have lost anything if it had been shot in spherical 65 mm, either letterboxed to 2.39, or with the negative image extended into the area formally used for the inner sound stripes on 70 mm prints; that should give an image close to 2.39, a ratio which all cinemas should be able to show without problems. As it is I think it will look terrible on our screen if they do decide to show it, tiny picture, and poor quality due to being cropped to 2.76 from a 2k projector. Also, we would have screen masking problems.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: