Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Red streaks on a NEC3200

Author Topic: Red streaks on a NEC3200
Ram Melegrito
Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2016 12:08 AM      Profile for Ram Melegrito   Email Ram Melegrito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys, I am getting red vertical streaks on my NEC3200. Anyone know what's up? Thankfully they went away with a reset and I did not have to cancel the show..

[EDIT] Tried taking a photo, but the streaks are too thin to show up on my camera, probably only one pixel wide.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-15-2016 12:45 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had this happen about five years ago on a newish NC-2000 and it would go away as the projector warmed up. It turned out to be a formatter board that was not torqued to spec. If it consistently does it like the NC-2000 did you could also try carefully re-seating the giant 300 pin plug that goes from the light engine to the motherboard, and also reseat the ICP. NEC's have been scarey reliable for me with less than a half dozen legitimate issues in just over 5 years between over 300 projectors.

Mark

Ram Melegrito
Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2016 10:01 PM      Profile for Ram Melegrito   Email Ram Melegrito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, it happened again in our evening screening, and this morning the video went out with audio playing normally. I will try your suggestions, thanks a lot.

Ram Melegrito
Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2016 11:19 PM      Profile for Ram Melegrito   Email Ram Melegrito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[UPDATE] The red streaks and discoloration are back. Did all of Mark's suggestions. Hardware replacement necessary?

-

-

Ian Freer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-28-2016 03:39 AM      Profile for Ian Freer   Email Ian Freer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had something similar on NC-2000 as well:

-

From memory I reseated the FSB connector as well as reseating the CPU and ICP boards. I don't know which one of these fixed it, but one of them did.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-28-2016 06:45 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd reseat the FSB and then BOTH cables on each formatter boards (The little delicate cables that go into the little delicate rectangular connectors) and then pray that works. That sort of image problem looks like a formatter/satellite issue. I suspect that you have the problem even with test patterns. Put up a checkerboard or greyscale pattern and look for the red in it. I'd then go towards the red formatter and wiggle on those cables to see if the streaks respond. I don't recall which side the RED formatter resides in the 3200.

It is possible it is still an ICP issue (or signal backplane) but I'm leaning towards the formatter cables or the formatter itself on the prism assembly.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-30-2016 03:00 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had something similar to these examples with Barco units were a cold reboot was necessary.

Otherwise, it was reseating cards.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-30-2016 07:33 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be EXTREMELY careful removing those tiny white rectangular plugs on the formatter boards. NEC uses a lot of those connectors in their projectors. I had one let go from a small interface card in an NC-900 once as I was removing it. I WAS able to solder it back in place on site though and it appeared to me the flow soldering job that was done was not very good quality. The only thing holding those in place is the solder connecting the leads to the board foil.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: