Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Deluxe SMPTE package test for How to be Single (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Deluxe SMPTE package test for How to be Single
Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2016 05:36 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heads up guys. Deluxe is sending out a thumb drive with a trailer and two test CPLS. The trailer is fine if your software is up to date but the two test CPLS are in a newer and not yet supported SMPTE package. They will fail in all servers.

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 01-14-2016 05:43 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that's sort of correct. The drive is missing some of the files for the test clips. The 7.1 audio file is missing and both subtitle files are missing. And the email address in the instructions is incorrect.

They sent us new drives, but they only have the trailer on it, which doesn't help with testing 7.1 audio or subtitles.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2016 05:58 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I talked with Dolby about it as we have Dolby servers and they had talked to Deluxe about it. They said:

The SMPTE package test clips are using a newer iteration of the specification, which we are currently working on. We should have DSS support for this in 4.9.x.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-14-2016 06:20 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah?...well I got this information...same as Adam's!

If it is true that 4.9 will have the fix for any alleged problem, I guess there will also be a new 4.7 for DSS100 systems too.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-14-2016 06:36 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OMG. ISDCF have been working on this test content for ages, and now these first tests are wrecked...actually even some of ISDCFs internal tests had been ill-fated...

Disney has planned a SMPTE-only release of 'Finest Hours' within the DCDC satellite network, as well as for Norway and Holland.

Why? Because with electronic distribution, it is easy to send small corrective VFs, or even an emergency Interop package if something goes wrong for specific locations.
Norway and Holland are fully digital, with 100% broadband delivery. So, under these conditions, there is a short feedback loop to communicate and correct errors.

- Carsten

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2016 07:03 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also asked about the DSS/DSP 100 and the jury is out about that. Personally I hope they do.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-14-2016 07:33 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a chance, as someone on the ISDCF mailing list reported successful ingest of some test packages into a DSS100. Wether that is still true for the current or some of the future SMPTE packages remains to be seen. The DSS200 actually failed on these tests, but at the time Dolby was already aware of the bug causing it, and it is probably already fixed in recent versions. After the results of these early distribution tests are in, I would think that Dolby may actually issue one last software patch for the DSS100 to fix potential issues. Or offer a 'Doremi' trade-in...
Otherwise, the SMPTE transition could doom DSS100 installations pretty quickly.

- Carsten

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2016 07:52 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The test we got had an encrypted trailer in current SMPTE format and two test clips that were the problem. The trailer loaded fine on both the 100 and 200s I have all running 4.7.3. The feature that this is test for is like the trailer. From deluxe I was told that no one was able to play the test clips.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 01-14-2016 08:15 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Because the test clips are missing the 7.1 audio file and two subtitle files. Just like I said.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2016 11:26 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got a call from a theater today about this test content saying closed captions did not work and VI audio did not work, but they work on Interop content. I was not able to do much debugging with him, though, so I don't know what the problem was. He was running a DSS200.

So, did others get VI and CC to work?

Harold

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2016 02:43 AM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Slap me stupid, but what is this transition?

Adrian Avram
Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2016 05:21 AM      Profile for Adrian Avram   Email Adrian Avram   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Buck, here is a link with explanations, and to be honest I just took a look myself, as I was thinking the same question [Smile]

http://isdcf.com/t/SMPTE-DCP-Tests/

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-15-2016 06:23 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There has been a NATO letter to exhibition sent out regarding this, but of course that doesn't reach everyone. Interop-SMPTE transition is in the works for years now. It seems it is finally coming.

This is not rushed, manufacturers have been working for years now to update their software for it.

This can still be found on the ISDCF site and reflects the issue:

'The transition to SMPTE DCP is targeted for April 2011. The document below is the most recent work that describes the timeline for implementation of SMPTE DCP, including accessibility features.'

A lot of tests have been done on all sorts equipment.
These now are the first tries to actually send out SMPTE DCPs into a restricted wild with a set of features that shouldn't cause issues on most devices.

HFR and ATMOS releases had already be in SMPTE format, because these installations were urged to always have current software versions and are usually in tight supervision techwise.

- Carsten

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2016 02:43 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Deluxe sent a new thumb drive with revised test content. These ingest fine on both the DSS 100 & 200 I have.

Jason Raftery
Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2016 06:52 PM      Profile for Jason Raftery   Email Jason Raftery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Harold Hallikainen
I got a call from a theater today about this test content saying closed captions did not work and VI audio did not work, but they work on Interop content. I was not able to do much debugging with him, though, so I don't know what the problem was. He was running a DSS200.

So, did others get VI and CC to work?

Harold

Harold, I ran the SMPTE test clips and had no issues with closed captioning or the VI track on an IRC-28C. This was on a GDC AR server.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: