Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Blue line down the middle of the screen on series 2 Barco? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Blue line down the middle of the screen on series 2 Barco?
Andrew Thomas
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2016 09:24 PM      Profile for Andrew Thomas   Email Andrew Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got a text from my manager at our drive-in and she said that starting in the middle of the first feature, a solid blue line appeared down the middle of the screen.

Any quick tips on what I can do that doesn't involve a multi-thousand dollar part replacement [Wink]

phone pic of problem

|  IP: Logged

Brian DeCiancio
Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2016 09:58 PM      Profile for Brian DeCiancio   Author's Homepage   Email Brian DeCiancio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A projector reboot has all but one time corrected color issues for me.

The one time it didn't work is when the light engine finally failed.

Andrew Thomas
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2016 10:04 PM      Profile for Andrew Thomas   Email Andrew Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently, a full reboot had the line go away for about 10 minutes before it reappeared.

Rick Cohen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2016 10:49 PM      Profile for Rick Cohen   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Light engine failure would be my quick diagnosis, but I would get an experienced Barco technician in there right away. I hope you are still under warranty.

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2016 01:02 AM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's like film, except 40x as expensive!

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 01-11-2016 01:58 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Run RGB test patterns to rule out light engine. Barco test pattern to rule out ICP. Try different input.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 01-11-2016 11:47 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's like film, except 40x as expensive!
It's the DCP version of an emulsion side scratch. Adds that "film-like" quality to the presentation.

[thumbsup]

Seriously, another thing to try would be re-ingest the feature, especially if the test patterns work normally.

If you have the necessary passwords (or Dallas key) try opening up the projector and reseating the cables to the light engine.

If you have pre-show equipment, try another input as Marco suggested. (If not, borrow a blu ray player to test with..)

Frank Bolkovac
Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2016 12:02 PM      Profile for Frank Bolkovac   Email Frank Bolkovac   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like Buck Wilson's comment!!

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2016 12:04 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It probably won't be as noticeable during the matinees. [Roll Eyes]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-11-2016 06:59 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're better off just charging less for admission. Concessions will still do the same no matter what the image looks like, and that's all that matters...

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-11-2016 08:23 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also call a cold reboot for starters - both server and projector.

-Monte

Andrew Thomas
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2016 06:59 PM      Profile for Andrew Thomas   Email Andrew Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, hadn't been able to get out here until today. I played some test patterns by just pressing the test pattern button on the side of the projector. No blue line, though blue line did appear when content was playing. i tried resetting the IMB itself (GDC SX2001, I believe). So I guess we will see if I have a bunch of angry patrons [Frown]

Also, does the IMB have built in test patterns to try?

*edit*

The blue line is blinking in and out in intensity.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 01-15-2016 08:59 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps you're just playing the wrong movie.

Andrew Thomas
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2016 01:11 AM      Profile for Andrew Thomas   Email Andrew Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, super fun stuff, I called Barco tech support and couldn't get anybody on the line. I call GDC tech support and they tell me to install the 7.8.3 firmware (up from 7.8.1) and now I'm getting "Error opening card or device not present" errors every time I try and play content. I left a message for the GDC tech support guys, but haven't heard back. Any suggestions?

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 01-16-2016 04:02 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
when you see the blue line, go to the communicator and select a test pattern with the Barco logo on it - those are generated on a different board.
If it disappears, then try DVI input.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: