Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Barco 23B. Lost image.

Author Topic: Barco 23B. Lost image.
Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2016 06:25 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All of a sudden the image dropped out. The projector has a Doremi IMS-1000.
Test patterns work. Running the projectors diagnostic the video path is fine.
Using the ICP Enigma program if I bypass CSC-P7 the image is back.
What could be the cause of this?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-08-2016 07:41 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be blaming the IMS first and foremost. It's an unreliable piece of junk!

Mark

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2016 08:18 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am getting the same via the projectors DVI inputs.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-08-2016 09:38 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd still power down or remove the IMS and see if the DVI's work then. I can't begin to tell you how much trouble I've had with just the few of those I have installed in the last 6 months. Other than the ones I have installed I refuse to have anything more to do with them. If that's not it then something in the projector... If the system power supply checks out then ICP most likely. If you can sub one from another projector that will make diagnosing it easier. Unlikely the light engine because all three sections couldn't be dead at once and your test patters do work.

If you do yank the IMS which is actually what I recommend, then you'll have to have the filler plate for that slot or defeat the Tamper switch some how.

Mark

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 01-09-2016 04:14 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not entirely sure what CSC-P7 does but it should be some kind of image processing on the ICP (colour space converter?). If that restores the picture, then I wouldn't blame the IMS.
Try DVI as Mark says.

Then I'd reinstall the ICP software - or do a full reinstall.

Try selecting a different PCF.

What SW version is your ICP running?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-09-2016 07:51 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CSC is the color correction circuit. Try verifying that the proper MCGD (use nominal or nominal v2 as a test) and the TCGD are set right (should be DCI_XYZ_314_351 but again, you can try another to see if it brings the image back...you may have a corrupted file).

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2016 10:51 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I reloaded the correct TCGD that did not help. Choosing another MCGD "Normal"
Brings the image back but the image looks the same as bypassing CSC-P7, no color. With normal color should be over saturated.
As mentioned earlier I get the same results for alternative content when switching to the projectors DVI inputs which uses a different PCF file.
I will reload the ICP software to see if that helps.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 01-09-2016 11:01 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The CSC-P7 processing is probably done 100% in the ICP but I don't know for sure, it could be on the formatters (TI spreads functions around).
You really have to contact Barco on this.
If I came across it I would reseat the boards (you will need to clear the security errors with the Dallas key - make sure you have it and know the password, it's safe to test that with no active error and see if you get a green flash) and might reload the ICP firmware (this also has the formatter firmware) but there's no way I know of to force a full re-installation.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 01-09-2016 11:54 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
uhm, there is no "normal" MCGD. Maybe it was "Nominal"?

This should prove that the IMS has nothing wrong. Re-load the software (or maybe upgrade it?) but I'd also re-load the PCF, MCGD and TCGD files from a base clone. I doubt it's a HW failure, just a corrupted file or sw glitch.

Worst case scenario I'd reinstall the whole ICP - but test it before reloading your clone!

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2016 12:56 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Re seating the boards seamed to help the alternative MCGD files now look as they should. My original "Measured Colors" is indeed corrupt. I reshot the colors and all is well again. Glad it was not hardware.

Thanks everyone.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 01-09-2016 02:36 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad it worked but I reckon that rather than the reseating it was the reboot that maybe somehow reset something in the ICP and accepted the nominal MCGD. Probably your corrupted MCGD 'locked' the board in a non-working state and rebooting with the nominal selected did the trick.

Good work!

Never had a similar problem, what software is your ICP running?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-09-2016 02:38 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Alan,

what is/was your ICP system version? How old is this machine? There was a bug in earlier ICP versions that caused file system corruption, even across system updates.

- Carsten

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-10-2016 01:28 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is current and was at the time of the incident: 4.3.448

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: