Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Amp for driving 2 QSC DCS-SB-5218s? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Amp for driving 2 QSC DCS-SB-5218s?
Andrew Thomas
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2016 09:46 PM      Profile for Andrew Thomas   Email Andrew Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When Christie originally installed our system, they used a single Crown XLS-1500 to drive these subs. Not very long after opening, the first amp died. We RMA'd the thing 4 times and it always goes out after a few weeks, so I think the unit must not be able to keep up with these two beasts.

Could you guys recommend a specific make and model of amp for driving two of these simultaneously?

|  IP: Logged

David Buckley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2016 10:20 PM      Profile for David Buckley   Author's Homepage   Email David Buckley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, a QSC DCS-SB-5218 is a 4 ohm speaker with a recommended amplifier power of 1600W RMS. You have two of them, so they are either being driven by one channel each of the amplifier, or paralleled to 2 ohms, and being driven by the amp in bridge mode.

The amp into 4 ohms can deliver 525 watts, rather than the 1600W recommended. Thus seriously underpowered. There is no 2 ohm bridged output quoted for the amp.

In bridge mode, the amp can deliver 1500W into 4 ohms, which is a good match for one of your subs. So an easy upgrade path would be another amp. This also gives a degree of redundancy, in that if you lose an amp or a speaker, you still have a surviving amp and speaker so the show can go on, albeit with reduced LFE, as long as you don't turn up the level to make up for the missing sub...

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-04-2016 10:47 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For sure go with the larger QSC DCS series amplifiers. They sound great and are uber reliable.... The kind you put in and forget about.

Mark

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 01-04-2016 10:56 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Specifically, a pair of DCA 2422's or better yet, 3022's each in bridge mono mode or a single 3422 in stereo mode, each sub on its own channel (But I feel that a single 3422 will still be a bit underpowered, but at least the amp will hold up.)

And if possible, seriously consider getting rid of ALL Crown amps in the system...they are crap amplifiers for the cost. (They are also noisier and a lot less reliable that DCA's.)

Andrew Thomas
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2016 10:58 PM      Profile for Andrew Thomas   Email Andrew Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tony Bandiera Jr
And if possible, seriously consider getting rid of ALL Crown amps in the system...they are crap amplifiers for the cost. (They are also noisier and a lot less reliable that DCA's.)
I should have noted that the plan is indeed to replace all of the Crown amps over time. So thanks for the recommendations.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 01-05-2016 01:46 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the two subs are paralleled into a 2ohm unit and the amp is bridged, then we know why this is happening.

Otherwise the 1500 is a fairly small amp for two beats like that but in fairness it depends on the auditorium. If the subs are very overspec'd for the room and you're not going to feed them any more that a handful of watts, then a 1500 could be ok.

Could you tell us more about the room (length) and the wiring configuration?

That said, QSC are indeed "wire and forget". But I guess a qsc would fail as well if drove outside of its specs!

Andrew Thomas
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2016 02:24 PM      Profile for Andrew Thomas   Email Andrew Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The room (including space behind the screen) is 86 feet long, 60 feet wide, and ceilings range for 18 to 24 feet high. Sloped floor.

The subs are currently wired by two separate runs from the same amp, which looking at the user manual on QSC site, looks like the wrong way to wire them up. Am I reading it correct, that if driven from the same monoblock/bridged amp, you should run one wire to the first sub on the terminal #1, then run a wire from terminal #2 on the first sub to terminal #1 on the second sub?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-05-2016 02:56 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, here is the no BS answer. Given your room dimensions, and those two subwoofers, you need (and are you ready for this?) 5,450 watts or thereabouts. You only have 2000-watts of power handling capacity in the subs so if you had the power, you'd blow em apart.

So lets presume it is one sub on each side of the amp, you have 1050 watts. Not quite 5450 is it?

So the next question is...was your room tuned to "spec"? That is, using a -20dB pink noise signal, are your subs, in the pass band 10dB hotter than your stage channels with the same level of pink noise? If the answer is YES...then the next question is ... where do you run your fader? Is it around 7 (or 0dB for those that think they are in a recording studio or something).

If the answer is YES to both questions...KABOOM! It is a system incapable of delivering the demands of any movie that chooses to use the full dynamic range of the DCinema system.

You could double your subs and go to an XLS 2500 and STILL not have enough for that sized room. However, if you use 4 subs and four XLS 1000s (one bridged into each sub), then you'd finally have enough sub and power to match the room, tuned to industry standard levels and the fader at "7"

Now if you run your fader lower (doesn't have to be much) and the power required change dramatically...just lowering to say "5.5" would drop the power requirements by 5dB. Doesn't sound like a lot but 5dB to your power requirements drop to a mere 1725-watts...within the power of your subs but still beyond your amp.

I think it is a dumb way to design a sound system but I guess one sells more mis-designed systems than to tell one what they really need and scare them to the guy that designs cheap ones.

Your best bet, really is to add two more subs and put in a pair of QSC DCA2422 amps (drive each sub off of one channel of each amplifier). It will last forever, never blow apart and be able to play whatever Hollywood can throw at it.

George Germisashvili
Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2016 03:11 PM      Profile for George Germisashvili   Email George Germisashvili   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can use 1pc QSC DCA3422 for SB5218, regarding wiring http://appguide.qsccinema.com/Downloads/LC80_System6_Diagram.pdf

Also you can use online application from QSC http://appguide.qsccinema.com/_layouts/15/qsc/welcome.aspx

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 01-05-2016 03:13 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Steve said.

However, it sounds to me that you're running BOTH subs with a BRIDGED XLS 1500. As said before, that amp does not allow a 2 Ohms load when bridged and this is probably the main cause of the failure.

Anyway specifying an XLS1500 for a 26m long room is just nonsense.

Andrew Thomas
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2016 04:58 PM      Profile for Andrew Thomas   Email Andrew Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, very helpful info. The short and sweet answer is that when Christie came out and did the install (we re-opened a long closed 5 plex), neither the guy who originally did the site survey nor the guys who did the install actually knew a thing about audio.

Which is why I'm trying to learn more myself, trying to get the right equipment, and eventually having the right person come out and tune everything.

Amusingly, I don't think a single patron actually cares. But I want to do my best, even if it isn't readily apparent that there are deficiencies. Most of our customers are just happy it isn't the disgusting place it used to be, but I want more than that.

If you guys don't mind, can I tell you the rest of the system and maybe get your recommendations on what else I should look to add?

The way it is currently set up is this

L/C/R stage speakers: JBL-4722, each with a separate XLS1000
Subs: QSC SB5218, single XLS1500
L/R Surrounds: 16 JBL 8320s (8 left, 8 right) on a single XLS1000.

As I said, I want to replace all the Crown's with QSC amps, but should I also be looking to add more surround speakers? I have a USL JSD-60 processor, which I think can handle 7.1. There are actually speakers mounted on the back wall (2 each for left and right), so I think I should be able to get them on another amp and feed the additional signal in.

Thanks for taking the time to respond guys, I appreciate your valuable knowledge!

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-05-2016 06:15 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew,

The problem with your system really is that it wasn't designed, it was cut and pasted using equipment that isn't necessarily junk but isn't necessarily adequate or proper for the room you describe. The JBL 4722 is a good BUDGET speaker but I wouldn't use it in an 86 foot long room.

The JBL 8320 isn't the worst surround speaker in the world but is vastly inferior to the 8340A and the 8350 (The 8350 response is easily the best of the three in that line and the 8320 is very much the worst).

The 5218 isn't a bad sub but 7218s should have been used, if using QSC double 18s. Why? Power handling and sensitivity. When you are talking about subwoofer where power demands start to get crazy and a mere 3dB of savings via sensitivity cuts your power requirements in HALF...you need to look at that sort of stuff.

I'm firmly in the QSC camp for amplifiers. The cost/feature/benefits are just all there. I'm partial to the DCA line too.

For your big rooms with that long throw...you really should consider something like the SC 423 (or SC424 if you don't mind more amp channels and more wiring...the SC424 is one of the most pleasing sounding cinema speakers out there. I'm using the 424 as the "base" model with 2 woofers, depending on the particulars the 434 or 444 may make more sense (the quantity of woofers can affect power handling or sensitivity).

In the small to medium rooms, the 4722 is just fine though again, not the best speaker in the world is FAR from the worst too. It has a real good bang for the buck.

When it comes to sound, you have three powers in play at all times

1) Subjectivity (what YOU think sounds best)
2) The physics of how sound works and what is required for it to work properly.
3) Budget. What you can afford versus what you may want.

If you do end up going with the QSC 4-way stage speakers, I DO recommend "quad-amping" them. The VHF diaphragm is much easier to tune/control if by a separate amp rather than EQ.

And if the 4-ways are not in the cards, the SC-423 is awesome too.

Andrew Thomas
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2016 06:37 PM      Profile for Andrew Thomas   Email Andrew Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks again. I'm thinking then that it may be a good idea to move a lot of this equipment from our large auditorium to one of our smaller rooms.

We have three smaller rooms that are roughly 30Wx60Dx20H. In those auditoriums we have

L/C/R Stage Speakers: JBL 3678
Sub: JBL 3635
Surrounds: JBL 8320

What would you suggest we do there?

Honestly, we just went with what was recommended to us and assumed that Christie knew what was up. But we are 2 years into this thing, making great money, and I just want to keep pumping cash back in to make this the best theater I can...even though we charge $5 for first run product and most of our customers think our A/V is amazing [Razz]

Jay Wyatt
Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2016 07:51 PM      Profile for Jay Wyatt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
60ft (18.3m) long room
Goal is to be capable of 121dB peak levels @ halfway point of room. (115dB required for digital soundtracks + 6dB headroom)

Inverse Square law for 121dB @ 30ft/9.1m gives us a 140dB SPL peak requirement at 1 meter.

Looking at sub datasheets (assuming mutually coupled):
2x JBL 4642As yield 142 dB
or
2x QSC SB-2180 would give ~142dB
or
2x QSC SB-5218 ~141

4642A are rated for 1200W continuous and the SB-2180 is 1100W continuousand SB-5218 is 1000W so we want ~2400W per amp channel @4ohm.

A DCA 2422 can deliver 2400W in bridge mono mode to 4ohm. So 2 of these Amplifiers - each in bridge mono - will do the trick.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 01-06-2016 02:29 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Auditorium is 60 feet large. It's 86 feet long.
6dB is always a good thing but maybe a little overkilled as a starting point?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: