Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Barco DP2000 Bulb Shutting Off During Show (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Barco DP2000 Bulb Shutting Off During Show
Kevin Roudebush
Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2015 11:52 PM      Profile for Kevin Roudebush   Email Kevin Roudebush   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are continuing to experience a problem with the bulb shutting off during shows. We've replaced the filters and are on our 3rd bulb, this last one brand new. It was doing it about once a day. Now, with this new bulb, on the 3rd show today, it shut down 4 times...with the new bulb. Checked alignment and amps when putting in new bulb. Techs in the loop but no solution yet. They thought the bulb would solve it. Temp in the projection room is around 65degrees. Roof fan seems to be working fine and as it always has. Bulb lights right back up when we clear the error message on the controller. Error simply says, "Lamp Error 5324" (not positive that is the exact number) Running both 2D and 3D shows on a 4k bulb. Searched other posts and didn't see anything other than one post that talked about this being a bulb issue. Ideas? Miss a software upgrade?

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 12-29-2015 11:58 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's not many upgrades going on for a DP2000.
I would check all lamphouse DC connections and the LPS connections and fans. Check temps after the lamp has been on for a while - especially the LPS heatsink temps: if the fans are slow or they're blocked with dust it will shut down on overheat.
Barco may be able to see something from a projector log package.

Ioannis Syrogiannis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2015 12:54 AM      Profile for Ioannis Syrogiannis   Email Ioannis Syrogiannis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the most important part from the logs, would be the kind of error.
I wouldn't find a 5234 error and you not being possitive about it doesn't help much.
If it's 5230, it's “fcb- force lps off” and a fault on fan controller board switch the lamp off. If it's 5314 or 5344, it has to do with a disconnected/damaged sensor wire, etc.

Maybe you could be more specific.

John Roddy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2015 12:55 AM      Profile for John Roddy   Author's Homepage   Email John Roddy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This type of issue has been one of the biggest, most annoying problems I've had to face at my main site (mostly DP1500, with a few DP2000). In ourc case, the problem was due to the liquid cooling circuit clogging up. This caused one of the blocks to start heating up to warning levels (which throws a yellow tail light). If it gets even slightly hotter past that, red tail light and instant lamp-off. For us, we got an error of Microsoft-level helpfulness simply labeled "Lamp is off due to an error." Check the projector logs for any mention of block or DMD temperatures.

The fix for it is pretty simple. You need the coolant service kit from Barco and a good supply of coolant. The manual's instructions seem to list a "workaround" instead of a permanent fix though. What I've been doing is separating the engine circuit from the heat exchanger circuit, and then force backflushing both of them. Go opposite the coolant flow direction, and pump air through the lines. Then take some new coolant, and run it through until there isn't any discoloration. The bucket I pump it into usually ends up laced with blue powder crap. It's disgusting. Do that to both circuits, fill them as best you can, then reconnect and do a full bleed. Every time I've done it that way, the projector never showed any trouble ever again.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 12-30-2015 03:34 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The exact error code - and the logs - are crucial to diagnose an error like the one you're describing.
We should at least be able to assess if there is an external cause shutting down the lamp or if the ballasts are just shutting down.
In the latter, the blinking pattern of the LED's on the back of the ballasts will tell you what happened.

Did you check the air inlets underneath the projector, which let air to cool the ballasts? There is no filter there but in a dirty environment they can clog up pretty well!

Adam Sherwood
Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2015 07:20 AM      Profile for Adam Sherwood   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Sherwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
could be an air lock this very much could cause you to have shutdowns , youl prop feel a fair bit of heat coming from the back if you stand behind it even after a few minutes of play

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-30-2015 09:17 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Without the logs, you are pretty much shooting in the dark. The DP2000 doesn't have air flow sensors...just temp (and fan speed)...if the temps go high (anywhere) it will drop out the lamp. Osram lamps are also known for going out on their own.

I'd make sure you are on the latest firmware on the DP2000 too. Lastly...since this is a 2D/3D set up...what are you doing with the lamp current between the two? Are the drop outs related to when you are running lower current?

Adam Sherwood
Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2015 09:33 AM      Profile for Adam Sherwood   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Sherwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yup osram so unpredictable worst thing they can go any time, which is a pitty cause when they do work they not so bad, but ushio such a beter lamp 3k osram in the dp2000 i dont think i any that actually got anywhere near full war hrs be lucky to get them past 500 hrs before they drop out. much beter perf from the ushio 3k in the barco dp200 not wure how the 4k osram perform

the last comment from steve about levels could be a bit point in right direction. if the lamp current is too low that might be why ur lamp ist staying on .. can you post the current and power info here ?

Kevin Roudebush
Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2015 11:36 AM      Profile for Kevin Roudebush   Email Kevin Roudebush   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dang, I tried to be specific as possible knowing the details matter and my manager at the theatre didn't have the exact error code and wanted to post and get feedback. Now, he is sleeping since he was up late last night catching up on his work after dealing with this issue for 12 hours. I believe the error is "Lamp off due to error" in the comments.
THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK.
I think checking under the projector for clogged input is a must right now. Like the detail on the coolant system. That was something I was wondering about and that info helped. I don't think it is the bulb since we've had problems with all of them. I'll double check the amps and current in addition to making sure all the connections are good. Going to run it this morning with the filters out for a little while and see if we get the shutdown after double checking all the inlets and making sure they are clear, especially any underneath the projector (I believe all the other ones are clear, I've looked at them myself but not underneath.)

Will give an update later today. You guys are great and input is much appreciated.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 12-30-2015 01:24 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Kevin Roudebush
Going to run it this morning with the filters out for a little while and see if we get the shutdown
Why letting unfiltered air in your very expensive projector? If the filters are not clogged and were replaced on schedule, then you're ok.

Kevin Roudebush
Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2015 01:27 PM      Profile for Kevin Roudebush   Email Kevin Roudebush   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Came in and found the one of the two intakes under the projector caked with lint/fuzz/dust. Cleaned as well as I could without lifting if up off the pedestal Hoping that is the problem and am not too happy about it. Guess I'm too trusting of an owner that my guys are doing a good job. Have it running now and will see how it goes.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 12-30-2015 01:44 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
good news! A vacuum cleaner is the best tool for those inlets.

I don't know whether the ballasts would report a specific error for an overtemperature, I believe the projector would say "lamp is off due to an error" and then you'll get a LPS dump with some codes and in those codes is your answer! [Smile]

John Roddy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2015 01:59 PM      Profile for John Roddy   Author's Homepage   Email John Roddy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once the lamp has been running for about 15 minutes or so, pull up Communicator and watch the temperatures of the blocks and DMDs. Red, Green, and Blue should all be about the same (note that block and DMD temperatures will differ, but RGB for each should be really close). If all of them get very hot together, then that's likely intake air being restricted. The pump moving the coolant through the loop is enough to at least normalize the temperatures between everything, even if it can't lower it. When one starts cooking up faster than the rest, that's when it's the loop itself that's restricted.

Every time I've ever seen "Lamp is off due to an error", the cause has been an overheating block or DMD. And every time that's happened, it's been a clogged cooling loop. Of course, I have no idea what restricted air intake would do. Our site was always pretty good about keeping the airflow pure and open.

Kevin Roudebush
Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2015 03:15 PM      Profile for Kevin Roudebush   Email Kevin Roudebush   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Been up and running for a couple of hours now. Feeling javascript:void(0)
[puke]

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 12-30-2015 03:32 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A overheated DMD should be reported in the log. A overheated LPS not sure.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: