Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » NEC NC2000C fans and filters

Author Topic: NEC NC2000C fans and filters
Gunnar Asgeirsson
Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2015 07:59 PM      Profile for Gunnar Asgeirsson   Author's Homepage   Email Gunnar Asgeirsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello guys,
Now it was popping up for the first time in our NEC NC2000C projector that it need to be replaced the Power On and AC On fans since they have now reach the 20.000 hour limit.

It shows now there warnings
220 : AC On Fan Exchange Time
221 : Power On Fan Exchange Time

And i went on google and found out on a more than one place that this fans can easily reach the 100.000 hours without any problem and i have seen suggestions that the time should just be reset without replacing theme.
Before i trust google i thought it might be good idea to ask here if you guys has any experience on this fan times.

And another thing about the air filters, i usually replace them each time i replace the lamp (every 1500 hours)
But the local store in my country that sells this parts from nec sell it on very expensive price (more expensive than buying the actual lamp bulb from osram)
Are these air filters really more expensive than the lamp bulb itself?
Could you guys tell me here where you buy your airfilters and what the price are [Smile]
We ofcaurse use the orginal filter from nec, have sombody here been using any imitations?

|  IP: Logged

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 12-26-2015 10:22 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you go into the DCC, you can reset the hours on these fans at the bottom of the Lamp>Setup tab. My understanding is the rated life is 3-4 times longer than the programmed life in the projector.

What kind of filter are you using for these? There is a paper filter available which is much less expensive than the filters which come stock in the projector. NEC NC2000C Filters

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-27-2015 07:03 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The MTF on the AC ON fan is 80,000 hours. However, at that time, you do have a significant number of failures, as per the manufacturer. My thinking is that NEC is being very conservative in their efforts to have one change the parts prior to failure since failure means show cancellation. I'd think 40,000-60,000 is a more realistic recommended replacement time until proven otherwise. I'd definitely have a spare or spares on site by the time you reach 20,000 hours though.

As for the filters, NEC's filters are a bit pricey though they are better than the aftermarket alternatives I've seen. In the USA, both Strong and MIT have low-cost alternatives that have also evolved. NEC's filters have a metallic webbing on the outside of their filters to electrostatically filter as well...I have not seen that on the aftermarkets. I've also seen various fitting issues (too loose/too tight) on the aftermarkets.

Gunnar Asgeirsson
Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2015 11:22 AM      Profile for Gunnar Asgeirsson   Author's Homepage   Email Gunnar Asgeirsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Justin Hamaker:
We have always been using the orginal filters from nec. But they are really expensive so i was wondering if we can get away with using some aftermarket if that does the same.

This is what we are using now (the two product there with the nec logo)
http://www.theatricalbulbsupply.com/categories/projector-parts-accessories/projector-filters/filters-for-nec-projectors.html

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-27-2015 12:35 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
My thinking is that NEC is being very conservative in their efforts to have one change the parts prior to failure since failure means show cancellation. I'd think 40,000-60,000 is a more realistic recommended replacement time until proven otherwise.
Similar scenario as with car parts: general rule of thumb is to take the manufacturer's recommended interval (usually overly paranoid) and the one in the Haynes Manual (usually overly optimistic), and go with the halfway point between the two of them, all other factors being equal.

We use the MIT aftermarket filters in both the 2500 at the Egyptian and the 3200 at the Aero, and in all the ones I've installed, the fit has been snug but not overly tight. They're usually pretty black by the time they get swapped out (with the bulb), so they're clearly stopping substantial crud from getting through.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 12-27-2015 06:18 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel pretty fortunate on the filter front. Our projection room is pretty well sealed and we don't have much dust and dirt around. I check my filters regularly, but they actually take 2-3 bulb cycles to even appear slightly dirty. Inside of the cabinet is still almost as clean as the day they were installed.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-27-2015 07:25 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The MIT filters seem to fit the best out of the aftermarket versions, I have a couple customers in extremely dirty areas that do put thin foam tape along the bottom edge of the filters where they seal to the projector. This has helped cut down on dust bypassing around the filters. I have projectors that are six years old and at 50K plus On Hours. I have yet to have to replace any AC On or Power On Fans. Watch your fan speeds and temperatures! If a fan goes too far out of tolerance in speed it will cause the CPU to throw an error. You can spend big bucks on the NEC fans or buy the exact same fan off the shelf quite inexpensively and splice the original connector back on to it. What ever suits your budget. Its no small job getting to them though!

Mark

Gunnar Asgeirsson
Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2016 10:11 AM      Profile for Gunnar Asgeirsson   Author's Homepage   Email Gunnar Asgeirsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just one stupid question, where can i order these MiT filters online?
I went to their website and i found nothing.

Steve Guttag

- posted 01-07-2016 10:59 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From your dealer.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-07-2016 05:16 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what Steve said. Most dealers stock them. Also it's best to stick with the MIT filters since Strong is apparently in such dilemma at this point in time.

Mark

Gunnar Asgeirsson
Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2016 06:21 AM      Profile for Gunnar Asgeirsson   Author's Homepage   Email Gunnar Asgeirsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The dealer here only have the orginal nec filters and nothing else.
So thatīs why i was going to order this online.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-08-2016 11:16 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Contact Steve Guttag at Cardinal Sound. I'm sure he would sell to you.

Mark

Steve Guttag

- posted 01-08-2016 11:56 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We only service the USA...Odds are there is someone closer to Iceland that can get the MIT filters for you, if you want. Note, the NEC filters ARE better and have a metallic strip to work electrostatically too.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: