Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Trinnov Audio - OVATION digital cinema processor (Page 1)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  8  9  10 

Author Topic: Trinnov Audio - OVATION digital cinema processor
Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2015 05:13 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody have experiance with this cinema processor?

As i see company is French and specification is mostly CP750 a like, but would like to hearopinions.....?

|  IP: Logged

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 12-14-2015 01:57 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The main issue I see is the lack of HDMI ports.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2015 02:20 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why the lack of HDMI would be issue for audio processor?

Danial Simmonds
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2015 06:22 AM      Profile for Danial Simmonds   Author's Homepage   Email Danial Simmonds   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems to be advanced compared with CP750, but i dont know, have never used it before.

Interesting is that it has 2 XLR Mic inputs, do they both work the same time? That would be interesting.

Automatic EQ with 8 Mic inputs for calibration thats also interesting.

To access the interface only use VNC or keyboard, mouse and monitor.

To me it sounds more expensive in price, really hope to hear from someone who has set it up before.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-14-2015 07:07 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trinnov is a bit of a name in europe, they are not a newcomer in the cinema business. Still, I think it will be hard to compete now after the digital rollout is over.

When you look at the back of this processor, it is obvious that there is a small (Micro-ATX?) PC contained in it that allows the software audio optimizer and other higher level functions to run. That means, the capabilities are certainly interesting. But I hope the audio core itself does not depend on a common OS's realtime capabilities...

It does have loads of digital input options, and at some point could probably be used for object based audio routing.

And yes, I would love to see HDMI audio decoding capabilities in a modern CP as we have in our AP20.

Has anyone seen a price?

- Carsten

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2015 02:07 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marin Zorica
Why the lack of HDMI would be issue for audio processor?
Marin, that's a perfectly rational question that I myself would have asked
a couple of years ago. But now that 99% of my work involves screening rooms
and film festivals, where often I must deal with audio from sources such as
dvd/blu-ray decks, computers, media players, etc,- - having the ability to pass
audio directly to an HDMI port on the processor from these devices without
going through extra break-out boxes and the associated cabling and power
supplies, etc can be a big 'plus' in the type of environment I'm working in now.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 12-14-2015 04:56 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With digital equipment some important screenings are live or on alternative sources. Everything comes via HDMI. Yes, you can maybe have a SPDIF source as well but an HDMI input - as with the AP20 - makes things very easy.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-14-2015 09:41 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does not the media block that accepts the video over HDMI convert the audio to AES/EBU so it can be sent to the processor like when playing a DCP?

Harold

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-14-2015 10:19 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some media blocks (e.g. the Dolby cat745) do, but I agree with the above comments that the AP20 is basically the gold standard if you have to be able to deal with a wide range of consumer, semi-professional and professional media formats in the same theater. A media block based approach probably won't give you the option to do much in the way of processing the audio that comes in via the HDMI (e.g. send mono on L/R to the C channel only, decode DTS/Datasat, etc. etc.), and may also be limited in the types of video stream it can accept.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 12-15-2015 12:35 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Harold

Badly! [Smile]

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2015 04:02 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, cool for HDMI, but for barco alchemy also somebody did tell us audio is passing true and you have audio from HDMI on AES outputs. I like to have that way rather than to split audio to processor only.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-15-2015 06:07 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
None of the mediablocks actually "Decode" the audio that may be on HDMI (Dolby True HD or DTS Master Audio). If the audio is LPCM then yes some do indeed pass that right along on the normal AES outputs.

While the DATASAT AP20 does decode audio, it can handle DTS Master Audio but not Dolby True HD so you will get a low-bandwidth AC3 version of the track of Dolby True HD is the primary audio track...which is better than nothing. The AP20 is definitely the most flexible of the DCinema processors in terms of ins/outs.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 12-15-2015 06:39 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what is decoded and what isn't, but I have seen 5.1 audio come out of the Doremi IMB and IMS with HDMI input. Blu-Ray players have to be set for standard 2.0 output (no DTS or Tru-HD) otherwise you get zero sound (usually there's sound in the stupid trailers that plague these disks but none for the feature) and usually 2.0 on playback.
You can decode Dolby Digital with a CP750, and also decode L/R Pro-Logic if you really want to. Pro-Logic is actually not bad from a digital source where the phase relationship "should" be perfectly maintained.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-15-2015 10:10 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SX-3000 also outputs AES from the HDMI input and I assume the 2000AR also does since the IMB is common to both. I have set up may Brue Rae Prayers on the SX-3000. One just a couple days ago.

Mark

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-15-2015 02:50 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are some players than can decode DTS or Dolby in all formats to discrete LPCM on HDMI. That would be the perfect match for those IMBs that will do only LPCM HDMI->AES passthrough. However, that feature is often not explicitly mentioned, sometimes not even in the manual. Usually the player should recognize the HDMI sinks audio decoding capabilities and set the audio decoding mode to discrete LPCM when the IMB/IMS signals 'LPCM only spoken here'.

I would always favor that solution, have the 'cheap' consumer equipment decode all those weird expensive codecs instead of the IMS/IMB. Those players are sold by the millions and codec licenses are cheap.

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  8  9  10 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: