Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » DCP Dolby Content

Author Topic: DCP Dolby Content
Reeves Watson
Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2015 06:53 PM      Profile for Reeves Watson   Author's Homepage   Email Reeves Watson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have really struggled with getting DCP trailers and other on screen content, does anyone know where I can get this from as a DCP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-GqRclsQbQ

Thanks in advance

Reeves

|  IP: Logged

Mike Schulz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2015 07:15 PM      Profile for Mike Schulz   Email Mike Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just out of curiosity, are you at a Dolby Vision location? This is the trailer they have been playing with their new laser projection system and I'm sure it would've been ingested into your server with some of their other files. If not, it shouldn't be too hard to get a copy sent to you and I'm sure they would love for you to play it for them before your screenings.

Reeves Watson
Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2015 07:20 PM      Profile for Reeves Watson   Author's Homepage   Email Reeves Watson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, no we are not a Dolby Vision cinema, I have been trying to find a nice ident that says something about don't watch a film on an iphone or laptop see it how it is meant to be seen, a kind of "this is cinema" piece. Stumbled on this whilst I was having a search ans it the nearest thing I have found. Our server came with a Dolby 7.1 piece only.

Mike Schulz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2015 07:45 PM      Profile for Mike Schulz   Email Mike Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a variety of Dolby ads and trailers I've seen over the years but with digital cinema, the branding is a bit different than it was in the film days since the sound content isn't tied to any specific playback system anymore. Unless somebody on here can send you something, to get them directly from Dolby would probably require you to be using either their servers(DSS-200) or processors (650-850).

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-09-2015 06:30 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original Dolby Vision DCP is probably an ATMOS/SMPTE DCP and wouldn't play on your equipment anyway. Even if it contains some positive Dolby PR, I don't think Dolby would like you to play it for the reasons you mention. It could actually even be encrypted to prevent such use.

If you persist, you would have to convert the YouTube version to a DCP yourself, I guess.

- Carsten

Mike Schulz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2015 09:44 AM      Profile for Mike Schulz   Email Mike Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if they even made a SMPTE or Interop version of this specific trailer. I know the one we have is EDR so that definitely wouldn't play on any other system.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-09-2015 01:06 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like playing the Dolby trailers but we've been running with the same two trailers for the past 5 1/2 years (Countdown and Sphere) which are both cool, but I admit to being sick of them. Dolby doesn't seem to want to put their name in movie theaters anymore, or maybe it's because chain theaters won't play trailers that don't have their own brand on them.

I wish Dolby or ANYBODY would create a really cool "welcome to the movies" trailer that is not a policy trailer, just a welcome trailer, with GOOD sound and GOOD music (not the whirring clanking banging that Dolby seems to be obsessed with.) Also a similar, very quiet-ish trailer for those movies that don't feel right with a bombastic trailer.

Tim Reed....the above means you! ^^^

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-09-2015 01:23 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby creates boat loads of trailers...just not for generic DCinema or for non-proprietary formats anymore. There are several Atmos trailers. I'm sure the feeling is that with Atmos, at least they know it is using one of their systems! With the rest...Dolby Surround 7.1 could be used on any systems without a lick of Dolby equipment being used so what is the point, unfortunately.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-09-2015 01:39 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
what is the point, unfortunately
The point is getting their name out there! It's free advertising.

I can understand it though. Even though we have a Dolby processor (and Dolby 3D), we don't have their amps or speakers. We COULD have extremely crappy amps and speakers, but still be advertising the Dolby name, so maybe they'd just rather not bother.

That's why I wish somebody else would create a great Welcome trailer. The ones I've seen either have cheesy old music, bad animation, or don't impress soundwise. Usually all three.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: