Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Cat 862 outside the box?

Author Topic: Cat 862 outside the box?
Magnus Eriksson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2015 01:38 PM      Profile for Magnus Eriksson   Email Magnus Eriksson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a thought: would it be possible to put a Cat 862 outside the DSS200? In a ventilated box with internal power supply close to the projector and the server in another room.
It can be done with a Cat 745 so why not with Cat 862?
/M.E.

|  IP: Logged

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 11-30-2015 03:27 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why not. Then you have to route the AES back to the sound processor.

Why not just run long SDI cables?

Magnus Eriksson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2015 03:57 PM      Profile for Magnus Eriksson   Email Magnus Eriksson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The sound processor is where the projector is.
This is a "real" theatre (with actors on stage) that also can be used for cinema screenings. Right above are two regular cinema screens with a central projection booth.
1) House rules say no noisy equipment in the theatre.
2) The cinema also wants to use the DSS200 as a networked storage.
3) Heavy concrete walls and floors but there are shielded network cables between the projection booth and the theatre control room (10 - 15 meters).

Ian Freer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2015 08:13 PM      Profile for Ian Freer   Email Ian Freer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
10-15m is fine for SDI cables, so Marco's suggestion seems most appropriate if you can get the cables through the walls...

An alternative; Is upgrading to the Cat745 out of the question for you?
Is the shielded Cat cable Cat 5, 5e or 6? Are they in good condition and tested appropriately? (i.e. no hidden kinks in the cable behind the wall compromising the signal flow etc
If the cables are good then one of those can go from the 200 to the 745 using the existing cable. I have one site with a 220/745 using Shielded Cat6, it's at least a 20m cable, maybe 22m, I cannot recall exactly now, but it's running fine.

I assume the 862 is a PCI board (not that I've had a DSS200 open to have a look), so trying to maintain appropriate system-bus integrity and any other hurdles you would have to jump over 'could' be far more costly in time and materials experimenting with various solutions than simply upgrading the server to an IMB version that is a known quantity...
The upgrade cost shouldn't be massive?

Of course if you have a Series I machine, just ignore me...

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 11-30-2015 11:25 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the 745 is over and done. Out of stock as of end of June if I recall.

Ian Freer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2015 12:41 AM      Profile for Ian Freer   Email Ian Freer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oops, that's a problem I didn't consider!

Another option: How about an IMS-2000, they're reasonably priced, and leave the DSS200 simply as a content store? Probably more than you are looking to spend, but still seems more sensible than trying to relocate an 862 to an external enclosure. Or maybe I'm just not adventurous enough, haha.

I haven't used an IMS-2000 so can't vouch for it, but one assumes they solved the problems the early 1000's had...

Magnus Eriksson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2015 02:35 AM      Profile for Magnus Eriksson   Email Magnus Eriksson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is an arthouse cinema with a thin wallet. The DSS200 (and a Barco DP2K-12C) is what remains from their old site and they want to use it for festivals and special screenings.
I have installed several IMS2000 and, well... Let´s leave the subject peacefully. I don´t want to break any forum rules using foul language [Big Grin]

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-01-2015 05:21 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go the HD-SDI way. Even with heavy concrete walls, it should be the safer and cheaper solution.

- Carsten

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 12-01-2015 06:37 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 862 is in fact only connected by Ethernet to the main board. No PCI.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: